Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Northwave Celcius bootsizing
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I have just receieved a pair of Northwave Celcius boots in the post but am not sure on whether they will be too big or not. I usually wear Shimano shoes and always order a size up, 45 instead of 44, which is what I did with these.

When I tried them on my big toe seems to be around 3/4″ from the end of the shoe and with thin socks on the heel feels like its slipping a bit when I walk around the house. I know that there not designed for walking but suspect it would do the same when pedalling. With a thicker sock they are snugger fit.

Any owners care to comment on how these “grow” over time as I dont want to weigh out £100 odd on a pair of shoes for them not to fit properly once there worn in.

If this is likely as I suspect to be the case then I will have to send them back for exchange. Wiggle dont have them in 44 so would look to swap them for MW81’s instead.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Any owners care to comment on how these “grow” over time

not at all as i recall.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

You’ll tend to wear thicker socks anyway, as they are a winter boot, so the fit should be okay. They don’t grow. If you need them snugger then fit another insole. In fact, I run mine with a Spesh BG insole and shim as I didn’t get on with the supplied NW one. Great boots though.

stayhigh

Did you size up when you got yours and do you notice any slipping in the heel?

somafunk

I sized up when i got my Northwave Artic (which is a celsius but a bit warmer for wussies), I’m usually a very predictable 8.5 and i went to a size 9 as winter socks and a decent insole made them fit perfectly, i doubt very much that they can grow as they appear to be built out of ballistic material.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve had my Celcius and Fahrenheits for about 8 years, they’ve not grown at all. Same size as my Specialized shoes, fit fine.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I bought mine a size larger than my shimano boots; wish I hadn’t. I only wear thin socks with my northwave boots as they’re so warm even in the depths of winter and my feet slide around a bit.

CaptainSlow

For Northwave shoes I sized up 1 size (to a 47)
    For Shimano boots I had to size up by 2 sizes (to a 48)

Your feet need to be able to move and breathe. Also, tight boots are not warm boots. The straps and heal cup keep them firmly in place. I’m normally ~11 1/2 UK.

HTH YMMV etc etc

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Mine same size as normal shoes no increase over time been wearing last 2 winters. Fit fine. I find a merino inner sox and a thick wool one are ideal combo for the really cold days. Gaiters are a must as water ingresses through top. I use them on road and off. Always thicker winter sox

hughjengin
    Free Member

Same as normal shoe size for me. No stretching considering 3 years of getting soaking wet. They are true size slightly generous but not to the tune of a full size. Which is ideal because will be using a slightly thicker sock in most cases

stayhigh

Would you say its worth putting up with a bit of give with thin socks in favour of being able to wear thicker ones come the winter again?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, why would you wear them when it’s not cold!?

houndlegs
    Free Member

Not sure if this helps you much,but I’m sending back a pair of 44’s tomorrow. I had to exchange them for 45’s. So maybe give it a couple of days and they’ll have these back on their system.

stayhigh

Because it isnt always sub zero when its pouring hard with rain.

Sounds like it could be a plan, I’ll procrastinate further and see what shows up on their system.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think NW upsize for you in the winter boots i.e. the 44 uses the same ‘size’ as the 45 summer shoe to allow for the extra padding, thicker socks etc.

I like mine so much I wear them untill they’re too hot rather than summer shoes untill they’re too cold.

njee20
    Free Member

Because it isnt always sub zero when its pouring hard with rain.

In which case I’d wear thick socks anyway myself (Woolie Boolies).

I find them ok, they keep my feet warm for sure, but they’re not a patch on my S-Works summer shoes. Worth it for the warmth for sure!

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m a 44 in trainers but usually size up for cycling shoes. I bought Northwave Celsius Artics a couple of months ago and tried the 45’s on and they felt pretty roomy so tried a 44 and they were a bit snugger but ended up going for the 45’s anyway as I mostly bought them for winter riding so use thick socks with them to (I only had thin socks on in the shop). I’ve worn them a dozen or so times now and happy enough I went with the 45’s, they don’t feel tight like all my other cycling shoes but aren’t loose either, I think it’s mostly the generous toe box that makes them feel roomy, the sides and heel are snug enough.
    I don’t think I’m especially susceptible to cold feet but I hate having cold feet, however even with thick socks and the arctic version they were fine in a 10-12c wet ride. I probably wouldn’t want to wear them in 20c+ but then you don’t have the arctic version anyhow.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Northwave Celcius bootsizing’ is closed to new replies.