Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Northumberland – must go places?
  • timc
    Free Member

Last minute 3 day break booked for Northumberland this week staying in Berwick upon Tweed.

Would seem to be loads of things to do, too many, what would people recommend & avoid?

Keen to take in a Roman fort & a Castle, any thoughts on the best ones?

Any food or drink recommendations?

Any nice walks? moderate distance is cool?

thanks in advance for any tips 🙂

momo

No advice, but I’m watching this one as MrsMomo and I are spending a couple of days in Northumberland on our way back from honeymoon on Skye this summer.

Drac

You picked the furthest point away from the Roman wall.

Vindolanda has a proper visitor centre now I believe.

Food: The Ship at Newton by the Sea

Jolly Fisherman at Craster

Northumberland Arms at Felton

Cook and Barker at Newton on the Moor

timc
    Free Member

Ahh Vindolanda looks spot on, travelling from Liverpool so can go on the way. Cheers for suggestions

Anyone recommend a castle? lots to choose from? Holy Island worth the effort?

andyr
    Free Member

Warkworth castle is fantastic.
    Alnwick Castle / Gardens are impressive but expensive.
    Housesteads is a good fort plus you can tie it in with a walk along the best preserved part of the wall in stunning scenery.
    The Ship in Newport is good but small so book a table.
    Cragside

squirrelking
    Free Member

Vindolanda gives you a double ticket to the other place nearby, can’t remember the name but we certainly got one.

Kielder water is close by, there is the dam visitors centre as well as the dark sky observatory, worth a look if it’s a clear night. The Riverside Hotel in Bellingham does a good meal as does the first pub you come to in town on the north side of the road (coming from the Riverside).

There’s a bookshop in Alnwick I’ve been told is worth looking at inside the railway arches, apparently the biggest second hand shop in the UK or Europe or something.

Drac

Castles:

Bamburgh

Lindisfarne

Dunstanburgh

Alnwick

Walkworth

Chillingham

There’s a bookshop in Alnwick I’ve been told is worth looking at inside the railway arches, apparently the biggest second hand shop in the UK or Europe or something.

Barter Books

You’ll have no problem getting in The Ship when it’s off season.

Kielder is miles from Berwick.

andyr
    Free Member

Walks – go to Barrowburn in the Coquet Valley and walk up to Windy Gyle – the view is spectacular but I can guarantee you’ll be wishing you had your bike (unless it’s blowing a gale) or do the 5 miler circular one from there which is more sheltered (ask at the tea room).

You are bringing your bike aren’t you?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

The walk from Craster to Dunstanburgh is ace (about 3 miles there and back).

Bamburgh castle probably best for kids. Plenty of cannons and weapons which my 5 year old lad loved.

Alnwick is pricey but if you time it to do the kids activities like broomstick and jester training it’s more value.

timc
    Free Member

Thanks for this, just me & the Missus, no kids to cater for.

No bike sadly as I have a back injury that won’t go away 😥

gazc
    Free Member

all of above

barter books is worth a look in

any beach will be clean & quiet unless near one of the towns

boat trip to farne islands is a good day out for birds & wildlife etc – better when puffins nesting (too early now i think)

walk up the cheviot – reasonably big but not technical/taxing. simonside hills around rothbury make for good walking too.

the tourist bus along hadrians wall is running now i think so you can do a long linear walk and hop on to get back. a short but good stretch is from houseteads to steel rigg & back to add onto a visit to the fort

Drac

Then it will be clean with 3 other people on it.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Simonside Ridge and Garleigh Moor
    Cragside
    Coe Crags
    Warkworth and Alnmouth along the beach and back via the dunes
    Wallington House
    Steel Rig – Crag Lough – Houseteads – Quees Crag – Greenlee Lough
    Bamburgh north to Budle Bay
    Farne Islands
    Chillingham Castle and Old Bewick Moor
    Climbing at Bowden Doors
    Boulmer – Craster
    Breamish Valley and the iron age forts walk. Plus a dip in Linhope spout if it’s sunny and mid week.

TooTall
    Free Member

Look up Cullernose Point near Craster and go there. Columnar jointing at it’s best. Just down from there is Rumbling Kern, probably my favourite spot on the entire Northumberland coast.
    On your way up or down to Berwick, think about a visit to Tynemouth. A great castle (with WW1 gun emplacements too) and a lovely area with great food and beaches etc.
    Inland, Rothbury is always good for walks and general mooching about.

gazc
    Free Member

this pub is worth checking out if you are in the very south of northumberland on the way up/down (one of our locals) the food & beer is excellent

http://thefeathers.net/

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Sorry had assumed family thing. I would say though that you shouldn’t ignore the Tweed Valley. Different feel to Northumberland but equally as nice.

dr_death
    Free Member

Theres a couple of nice short walks that fulfill a lot of your criteria…
    NT car park at Once brewed, walk along the wall past sycamore gap (the one from Robin hood) to housesteads fort. away from thewall there towards greenlee clough and back towards the car park….

Walk 2, park at craster, walk up past dunstanborough castle to the beach beyond… back to craster for lunch/dinner at the Jolly fisherman

dr_death
    Free Member

oh, and Farne islands, Holy island and Cragside

lemonysam
    Free Member

Sorry had assumed family thing. I would say though that you shouldn’t ignore the Tweed Valley. Different feel to Northumberland but equally as nice.

Oh, the walk from Horncliffe to Norham’s lovely, good castle and it’s free. Ford and Etal’s interesting too.

andyr
    Free Member

Train to Edinburgh?

Then it will be clean with 3 other people on it. [/quote]

Weekend in summer eh? The beaches are Northumberlands best secret.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Oh and my favourite roman forts aren’t the well preserved ones, they’re the massively remote, extraordinarily positioned ones up above Rochester. High rochester’s quite cool, a farmstead built into the walls of the roman fort Bremenium.

edit: that’s bloody miles from you though. Don’t bother with anything beyond the A696, there’s plenty to do in the north and then come and stay in south Northumberland next time.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s a horrible place, don’t waste your time going 😈

One of my fav beach walks is on the opposite side lindisfarne from Ross to the 2 towers (can’t recall their name) never seen anyone on that beach and it’s beautiful .

lemonysam
    Free Member

One of my fav beach walks is on the opposite side lindisfarne from Ross to the 2 towers (can’t recall their name) never seen anyone on that beach and it’s beautiful .

Absolutely covered in seals a couple of weeks back too. Bloody hundreds of the things.

Drac

One of my fav beach walks is on the opposite side lindisfarne from Ross to the 2 towers

Minas Morgul and Orthanc

lemonysam
    Free Member

On second thoughts, they could have been Orcs.

bikebouy
    Free Member

BM’d too as we’re heading that way in May.

ta

Drac

On second thoughts, they could have been Orcs.

😆

lemonysam
    Free Member

In lieu of a Roman Fort, How about Yeavering Bell?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Don’t go it’s horrible.

Tell all of your friends and family not to go it’s horrible.

Don’t go. You will not enjoy it.

It’s a grey, miserable, post industrial landscape.

Don’t go.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Rothbury – famous for the Raul Moat three day water pipe stake out a few years back

I would suggest coquetdale and Ingram valley (linhope spout at the top of Ingram valley). Grandparents used to farm in both those valleys for years and spent a lot of time up there, fantastic landscape and probably the most remote you can get in England.

i would also say walk from craster to dunstandborough is great,get yourself some skippers at craster?

Chillingworth castle is great and if you go to Alnwick castle you have the gardens with a great entrance building and then also the huge tree house which is worth a look!

Fish and Chips in seahouses or bamburgh,bamburgh castle is probably most impressive I think, especially with the way it sits on its huge podium of rock.

MoreCashThanDash

Craster if you like proper seafood

Bamburgh for a proper castle, Alnwick if the kids are older and have a Harry Potter inclination.

Seahouses for fish and chips.

ElShalimo

Slight hijack: can anyone recommended a nice cottage near the sea for 2 people?
    I know the area quite well but normally camp there

Drac

http://www.spitalford.co.uk/accom.htm

Sleeps more than 2 though.

Or next to one the best beaches.

Howdiemont Holiday Cottage

ElShalimo

Drac – thanks, they look great but fully booked (1st week of June)

I’ll keep searching.

MadBillMcMad

castles:
    Bamburgh & Alnwick are all glass cabinets & musty clothes & IMO boring

Dunstanburgh (at Craster) is ace, as is Walkworth

Cragside was a nice day out, interesting house & great gardens to explore & walk about.

We actually stayed at Chillingham castle in the highest rooms – draft but a laugh.

The Chillingham cattle are interesting too.

Barter books in Alnwick is an interesting wet day explore with a good cafe.

ebygomm
    Free Member

If you want something one step up from camping the hides at springhill farm are worth a look. They also have cottages but haven’t used those.

http://www.springhill-farm.co.uk/the-barn

Drac

Drac – thanks, they look great but fully booked (1st week of June)

I’d look sharpish then as thanks to Robson Green there’s been a big interest in Northumblerland last year and this.

ebygomm
    Free Member

June busy as best time for puffins at the farne islands too

ElShalimo

Thanks

ninfan
    Free Member

Quite a fan of Seaton Deleval hall here, fits in well with a drive along the coast and a night out in Whitley 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Northumberland – must go places?’ is closed to new replies.