Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Northumberland Fan Boys – Countryfile Awards
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Northumberland won Best Holiday Destination.
    Embleton Bay won Best Beach.
    Farne Islands came 2nd in Best Nature Reserve.

Looks like the secret is out.

http://www.countryfile.com/gallery/bbc-countryfile-magazine-awards-2017-meet-winners#holiday-destination-of-the-year

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess it’s time to restore proper northumbrian speaking at all times and get the combine harvesters out on the road.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah, the Cornish defence league in N’burlnd…

gobuchul
    Free Member

https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/58699

We need to be trying harder.

This could work. Financial services in Edinburgh and bring back a bit of engineering in the NE. 😀

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Northumbria

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Years ago northumbrian freed itself from the shackles of the Scots and Yorkshire folk and we haven’t looked back. It ain’t going to happen we don’t want you all whinging and complaining.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Mike – Don’t think of it as joining up, think more along the lines of annexing them to support the Seat of Power in Bamburgh.

the-muffin-man

Embleton Bay won Best Beach.

Yep been there a few times – it’s alright, lovely to look at and a really nice walk, but it’s not much of a beach if you can’t sit on it without weighting down all your stuff and covering your face like Lawrence of Arabia to stop your self getting sand-blasted! 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having been born under the percy lion we don’t need a government by the sea, unless its slavery I’m out though. Have you actually tried talking to a Yorkshire person?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

This above is why I left. Of course I am too cool for anywhere that popular.

Still think Sugar Sands whoops Embleton beach.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Nah. Sugar Sands is about 100m, Embleton is a mile long. Not really comparable.

white101

If I could post pics I would show hundred pics of Embleton Bay in all weathers, beautiful place and The Greys in the village is a cracking pub. My mate lives there and I love getting up that way.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Despite its reputation, I prefer Ross Back Sands to Embleton Bay.
    2 miles long, and a castle at each end

But I do wish we’d stop winning awards. It’ll get busy.

Drac

It’s shit don’t visit.

2 castles at Ross Back there’s Bamburgh, just, at the south end. Have they built another I’ve not been for about 9 months?

thenorthwind

I suppose he means you can see Lindisfarne

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Don’t worry Northumbria folks, the southern types will soon tire of our homeland as there is in sufficient “tat” “designer outlets” “macdonalds” etc and their kids will never eat Craster kippers and Seahouses is not Alton Towers.

We are safe.

slowoldman

Another nail in the coffin for the “Keep Northumberland Local for Locals” movement was the inclusion of Riley’s Fish Shack in the new Michel Roux series. Serving lobster for God’s sake. The Fowey set are jumping in their Q5s and speeding North as I type this.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I suppose he means you can see Lindisfarne

Yep. I’m ignoring the water between the end of the beach and the actual castles. With two kids, we never get far enough for it to be an issue. Still looks pretty damn cool.

kayla1
    Free Member

Another nail in the coffin for the “Keep Northumberland Local for Locals” movement was the inclusion of Riley’s Fish Shack in the new Michel Roux series. Serving lobster for God’s sake. The Fowey set are jumping in their Q5s and speeding North as I type this.

I was thinking that too 🙁 but I’m hoping it’s still a bit too provincial for them…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I love Northumbrian beaches for the simple fact that I can fish from them without hordes of bastid kids & people bobbing about on boards getting in the way of 175grams of lead every time I cast. 😛

Drac

Tynemouth is busy at the best of times anyway and far enough away for me not to worry.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

gobuchul – Member

Nah. Sugar Sands is about 100m, Embleton is a mile long. Not really comparable.

Being able to see it from the front windows was always a big plus for Sugar Sands.

Drac

Sugar Sands used to be very little known but now it’s one of the busier spots. Almost a dozen people there one day when I took the kids.

RustySpanner

You need an eastern Abersoch.

Somewhere the Macan/Q7 owners and their snobby, ugly, plastic faced/chested wives can pretend is a bit ‘exclusive’.

Keep ’em away from the rest of us, for gawd’s sake.

RustySpanner

Apologies, btw, that’s a bit off and wasn’t meant in a personal manner.

Note to self:
    Tea first, then attempted ‘humour’.

Sorry.

Scapegoat

Mrs Scape and I chose a nice B&B near Bamburgh. It was a typical Georgian gentleman’s residence, very much still in character with high ceilings, antique furniture, sash windows etc. The couple that owned it were delightful, he was a solicitor in Newcastle, nearing retirement, with a love of good food (the breakfasts were simply incredible) and decent Malt (introduced me to Bruichladdich). We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and decided to add a Tripadvisor review. Of the top ten reviews four were negative. Intrigued I opened them up and spent a happy few minutes chortling at the pointless ****-wits complaining that the furniture in the lounge wasn’t matching, they’d spotted a patch of frayed carpet in the dining room, there wasn’t a lock on the bedroom door, there wasn’t any double-glazing, and they didn’t like the smell of kippers at breakfast. 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I prefer Ross Back Sands to Embleton Bay

Your wrong, its horrible, it requires walking to rather than just hopping out of the car, and southerners wont be able to cope with that 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Northumberland Fan Boys – Countryfile Awards’ is closed to new replies.