• This topic has 41 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Northumberland
  • bullroar
    Free Member

I have a weeks holiday with family next week and will be taking the bikes. The obvious place to ride is Kielder but this is a fair drive from our base on the coast at Seahouses so not ideal for a late afternoon/evening thrash. Wondering if there was anything worthwhile a bit closer to our base?

Drac

Yup loads, Ingram Valley and Alwinton are the main places. There's 3 routes in the next issue of ST which should be out this week.

Also Rothbury into Simonside is a nice easy ride.

GEDA
    Free Member

Google maps says it is as quick (Two hours) to get to Peebles and Innerleithen as Kielder! I would say some riding around Wooler and the Cheviots would be best from Seahouses though the costal route is really nice though not gnar, just really nice riding your bike along beautiful coast sort of thing.

Drac

Yeah I'd go with GEDA if you want to ride a trails centre then be easier to get Glentress and Inners better too.

GEDA
    Free Member

Hi Drac, went to do the Pink Panther and the one next to it and was not suitably dressed or biked. Luckily I pushed up before hand and then chickened out on the way down :). If you understand what I mean.

Mind out for mad Geordies. When we were there last week we weren't meant to go out of the house.

Drac

Know where you mean, good aren't they.

Yeah I was meant to be meeting a friend that week too but was pointless as riding was some what hampered by Raoul.

Merlinman

The bike never turned a wheel, Lee 🙁

Reduced to driving to walk! Then we went to Elsdon Cafe – only to find the whole area overrun by armed Police and satellite Vans!

One thing we did learn – when you're actually there, the press spout total bollix!

The only time we made the Carriage Drive we were called down by Tim to take cover!!

Drac

The amount of rubbish they come out with is incredible Rob, just utter crap.

Oh well next time your up.

bullroar
    Free Member

Yup loads, Ingram Valley and Alwinton are the main places. There's 3 routes in the next issue of ST which should be out this week.

I knew there had to be something, any chance of a few Grid Refs for start locations so I can have a look at a map before the mag comes out. Cheers.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Drac – Member
    Also Rothbury into Simonside is a nice easy ride.

Seconded

neninja
    Free Member

Up over Bewick Moor from Eglingham is ok

br
    Free Member

Yetholm on to the Chieviot Ridge and then the Old Drove Road back.

Drac

I knew there had to be something, any chance of a few Grid Refs for start locations so I can have a look at a map before the mag comes out. Cheers.

Ay I'll post them up later.

Drac
    teagirl
    Free Member

Coquet Valley, lovely long rides, beautiful scenery.

cinnamon_girl

Have a few gpx files if they're any good to you? Did a super route from Wooler into a pretty valley then to Broadstruther. Also Bewick Moor is good. Ingram Valley is also pretty.

Mainly used routes from Derek Purdy's 'Northumberland Mountain Bike Guide', published by The Ernest Press.

Drac

Good book that and Wooler route you described is a good route too.

Don't think I'm free much next week so can't show you anything.

Stranga
    Free Member

The route cinnamon describes, if you head from Wooler to Broadstruther then head to the valley you might stumble upon this descent :-

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/138320/

FOG

Go to Glentress, nothing to see in Northumberland. no excellent caffs at Barrowburn, Elsdon etc. I don't expect to see anybody out in the upper Coquet valley so I can ride all day withut seeing another bike like usual!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Can you post those .gpx files or email them to me (username *@* mail2web.com) please?

I'm going up to Newcastle at the weekend for a wedding, but I've only been invited to the evening thing, so want to go for a ride. Was going to go to Hamsterly, but natural looks more fun.

Thanks

toons
    Free Member

There's Thrunton but we can't talk about it!

There's a lovely ride up to a cairn

high res

and a cracking descent from Coe Crag

high res

Drac

Was going to go to Hamsterly, but natural looks more fun.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

toons
    Free Member

Since they've built section 13 and the other new bits, Hamsterley is a blast and defo worth a trip.

Just make sure you ride it before winter!

bullroar
    Free Member

if you head from Wooler to Broadstruther then head to the valley you might stumble upon this descent

That looks really good. I've found Broadstruther on the map but can't quite decide which way that track goes. Is it generally East finishing on the road near Carey Burn Bridge or South then south east to finish on the road near a spot height mark of 216m?

To everyone else, thanks for the suggestions I feel a bout of OS map and exploring coming on.

rOcKeTdOg

Rothbury into Simonside is a nice easy ride.

Suitable for newbie rider?

Woody
    Free Member

Pic of Coe Crag (apparently) from slightly different angle. Boring area, really not worth it 8)

carbon337
    Free Member

Jamie, you will be in trouble now!

toons
    Free Member

sssh, don't use my real name 😉

You haven't seen me!

btw did you ride last night?

carbon337
    Free Member

nah – was pi$$ing down so went to gym. Maybe tomorrow.

Stranga
    Free Member

Bullroar its south towards Langleeford, there is a fire road just off the top of Hawsen Burn that takes you right,to the start of the singletrack (singletrack is the FP that joins the bridleway on the map)

You can see broadstruther on this vid (its on the left at about 3.10) but you would be approaching from a diff direction.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/141637/

bullroar
    Free Member

You seem to like it up there Stranga 🙂

Thanks for that I'm pretty sure I've got it on the map now.

Drac

Rocketdog Simonside is ideal for a beginner as is the Carriage Drive on the opposite side.

bullroar
    Free Member

One other thing, any recommendations for local bike shops for those essential spares and repairs?

cinnamon_girl

Stranga – I enjoyed your video and thought I recognised the bridleway where the singletrack joined it. However, upon looking at my Explorer map, am getting confused. 😳

Can't work out where the start is, feel free to e-mail me (details in profile). Thanks.

paulrockliffe – ygm.

RoCkEtDoG – you must do the descent from Whitefield Hill on the Simonside Hills. It's brilliant. 8)

Thrunton Woods – I drove past there several times and, to be honest, I was terrified of riding there. It looked huge and dense and was concerned I would not be able to find my way out!

GEDA
    Free Member

The keeper has just resurfaced the Hepple Whitefield track so it is not as rough as it sometimes is. Not as many puddles though. Don't worry though as they resurface it all the time but it is steep enough to wash out quite quickly. So good I got up at 5 the day I flew back to Sweden just to ride it.

carbon337
    Free Member

bullroar – breeze bikes in amble will sort you out or the cyclife store in Alnwick.

cinnamon_girl

Well, it was different (3 weeks ago) to a few years ago so was concerned that 'trail sanitisation' had reached Northumberland! Was very dry and, dare I say it, quite sandy in places. But nevertheless it did not disappoint, even though I was on a hardtail this time. Just ragged it down there. 8)

Actually it's one of my top 3 UK descents. 😀

bullroar
    Free Member

carbon, cheers

cinnamon
    Follow bway south from Broadstruther, passed spot height 356 at the Ford you tend south east. At spot height 377 head west towards Broadhope Hill, track turns 90 degrees to head south after 250m or so is the track (I think).

Drac

Yeah they started earlier in the year but as you say GEDA it gets done every now and then and a good winter sorts it out.

Haugh Head Garage near Wooler will sort you out too and point you in the direction of some good routes.

cinnamon_girl

Thank you bullroar. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Northumberland’ is closed to new replies.