Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • North/Mid Wales people advice on conditions for this weekend Please
  • makkag
    Free Member

Long Story Short – Cabin booked near CYB which we cant get a refund on . degla day off looks likely Antur Stiniog day off as well . Which leaves Mach and CYB only for 4 days ..

How are the conditions at Nant y Arian and Betws Y Coed at the moment -and are they worth doing (I Have never ridden either)- I realise I’m not going to get the riding that I’m after but got to make the best of it.

And on a slight Tangent – Cadiar Idris would that be doable in a Ride/hike a bike to decent at the moment.

I appreciate the collective knowledge you pass on in advance

Thanks

D

elredso
    Free Member

im supposed to be at CYB this sun / mon – staying with my mate who has just brought a place there

spoke to him yesterday and he said that there was no snow – BUT – he had heard it was bad in llangolen to actually drive up to cyb

makkag
    Free Member

thanks, Im coming from the south so will be going via the a458 through welshpool so will thankfully avoid the A5 !

kayak23

Porthmadog
    and Cader Idris.
    Looks alright…
    Webcam Dolgellau and Cader Idris

ste_t
    Free Member

Follow a few relevant people on twitter – Llandegla has deep snow, Llanberis pass A road is closed and under snow, coed-y-brenin centre has no snow but may be some higher up. I think there are a few other road closures dotted around, so doesn’t look promising at the moment.

Marin apparently not too bad but heard that Penmachno has snow too deep to bother with.

saxabar
    Free Member

I’m about 10 mile north of Betws (closer to the Llanberis area). The Marin is rideable but give yourself another hour or so (and pack accordingly). Can’t comment on Penmachno but I haven’t read of anyone on the local forums riding it. Having broken up for Easter early I’ve been riding around the Carneddi. More XC than anything else, but great fun descending and sliding in the snow!

beefheart
    Free Member

The snow at Nant yr arian has mostly all gone- just bits on high ground.

I suspect Cadair will still be covered, but it will be crawling with walkers anyway so I wouldn’t bother.

makkag
    Free Member

Excelent gonna be enough to do, Thanks all very much for your help so far ste_t can you advise on the twitter names you sugest please .. I Have degla CYB and Stinog covered

summittoppler
    Free Member

I’m north of Betws near Conwy and the view towards the Snowdonia hills is pretty white. The snow level is down to about 200-300ft on the northern hills.
    The CyB Facebook Page is saying they are fine with some ice patches high up. Some friends rode the Marin at the weekend at the snow looked immense!!

Check out the forum on http://www.mbnw.co.uk and also the Facebook pages for the centres you’re after.

Bear in mind though that we could get another dollop of snow on Friday :\

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

What about mid Wales? Tregaron, Elan Valley, have they escaped the snow?
    Is it worth me taking the bike this weekend?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Drive down to brechfa and nant y arian.. for a day or two

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Currently minimal snow around Tregaron; what there is is above 400m and diminishing by the hour… Elan valley may be a fair bit worse as the tops in that direction look alot whiter.

Brechfa and Nant Yr Arian wil be fine.

chiefP
    Free Member

Updated on the 25th

Cadair Idris: Deep drifts (in excess of 2m) obliterating paths in places, scoured ground covered in sheet ice, rocks verglased. Cornices and unstable windslab forming on all aspects. Axe and crampons essential. Snow goggles very useful. Light snow above 200 metres. 60cm of snow at 400 metres.

jairaj

don’t assume conditions at the top and bottom are the same.

I was in south wales this weekend just gone. Low down things would look fine. Then as you climbed conditions got worse with sheet ice across the paths in large sections.

If you can’t cancel your booking then take plenty beer and entertainment, you’ll still have fun.

makkag
    Free Member

Thanks all again especialy update on Cadair , No can’t cancel booking and get any funds back as owner says we can get there so gotta make the most of it . The cabin is booked for 3 nights and just outside CYB so N-Y-A is about as far as i fancy driving back from. Climach NYA and CYB weekend with cold toes and fingers it is ..

Appeciate you all taking the time to respond !

Might take an old snowboard with me as well !

excitable1
    Free Member

Any further update on the conditions at the top of Cadair Idris ? Everything is thawing pretty fast and I was considering give it a go on Monday and then heading of to CYB in the afternoon.

excitable1
    Free Member

Bump.

From what I saw in the Peaks yesterday I’m guessing Cadair is a no go (?). Anyone try it yesterday ?

dreednya

Nant-yr-arian is fine, but go into the hills and there is unto 2-3 foot drifts. Planned on riding form Nant to Mach and back yesterday and it was a bit of a hike-a-bike and we turned back in the end just to get some riding in

chiefP
    Free Member

Last updated on the 29th

Cadair Idris: Hard packed snow and deep powdery drifts, sheet ice and verglassed rocks combine to make very difficult conditions underfoot. Accumulations of unstable windslab on many aspects especially Foxes Path. Crampons and ice axe essential. Frozen snow above 250 metres. Fresh snow on frozen snow above 450 metres. Areas of hard snow above 300 metres.

Not melting fast up here and i’m 30miles North of Cad, still plenty of snow around here so would recommend avoiding Cad all together.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘North/Mid Wales people advice on conditions for this weekend Please’ is closed to new replies.