Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Northerner travelling to that there South – what park n ride options do I have
  • Rich_s

Tomorrow I am heading off to Larndon and delivering a course right in the middle (Bank area) – trouble is I have to drop the sprogs off at school first (Merseyside) so am on a limited timescale as I need to be there for a 2pm start…

So, I was thinking of Luton Parkway – 3.5 hours drive, an hour into London, gives c.30 mins spare… but as I have to head off to Somerset immediately afterwards, is there a better option? Warwick Parkway is a google result, less driving, longer train journey, more options for the transit to Somerset later on.

Anybody got any recommendations? Any pointers gratefully received!

RichT

Didcot?

Maybe better for the getaway to Somerset.

Rich_s

Oooh yes, good spot. Thanks.

stevied
    Free Member

Oxford and get the bus or drive to Hillingdon and get the train in?

Rich_s

The bus is out – bit too long to get to/get there/get off.

Hillingdon looks good – any chance if you know is the carp ark accessible all day (i.e., spaces?)

captain-slow
    Free Member

You really want to get into London Waterloo and then use the drain to Bank – all above options go into Paddington which leaves you with quite a tube journey, especially as you are coming back out again later.

The problem is that means a longer drive/worse traffic/parking problems; Bracknell could well be your best bet.

scaredypants

Winchester ? – M40, A34 not too bad a route and pretty quick train service to Waterloo. Half way to Somerset.

dobo
    Free Member

I think basingstoke is your best bet to get into london waterloo, parkings good and cheap enough and close to the station. Then when driving to somerset, just hope onto the M3 then down the a303 i guss depends exactly where you are going.
    I actually live nearer to winchester but usually choose basingstoke, sometime i park at richmond london and then tube in 45 min tube and you risk the traffic and parking more expensive.

T1000
    Free Member

Paddington could work fine for you, just walk 5 mins to Lancaster gate tube hop on the central line then straight into Bank

Rich_s

Brilliant. Thanks all.

takisawa2

Hillingdon has a big car park, & it’s a tube ride (albeit 30mins) into London. No faffing about with trains.
    If it’s full try Ickenham, it had spaces when we popped into London in August. Has an attendant on duty too. Both are only 5 mins from the end of the M40 too.

wilburt
    Free Member

Slightly East but straight onto the tube is Newbury Park massive car park, £5 for the day.

Edit: probably not the best given your onward journey.

Dickyboy

Probably too late now, but Perivale tube station – on central line so direct to Bank with no changes & easy access off A40 to the west. £3.70 park all day

Rich_s

Thanks everyone for your pointers. In the end my hand was forced by rubbish traffic so I went with Warwick; I will bear the others in mind for future trips!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Northerner travelling to that there South – what park n ride options do I have’ is closed to new replies.