Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Northerner travelling into Waterloo – where to park in the Basingstoke area?
  • cheshirecat
    Free Member

Travelling to big smoke from the Basingstoke area, but going mid morning, so thinking that Basingstoke station car park will be full.

Anyone know of a station with a direct train to Waterloo with a car park that’s likely to have empty spaces mid-morning?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Try Grateley. Not a million miles away, and because it’s before Andover/Basingstoke etc, you’re more likely to get a seat.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Looks good – many thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

De nada.

Also, if you’re back in time, it’s a lovely drive from Grateley to Newton Tony and the simply marvellous Malet Arms for a meal.

🙂

I can do pub recommendations in That London as well, if you like. 🙂

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Will bear the Malet Arms in mind for the future. Am down South fairly frequently and normally stay around Oakley. In fact, I’m down next week and will be bringing a bike 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

From Oakley, head almost due South to the Bush at Ovington. A cracker of a pub. If they’re on, try the scallops. Sublime.

😉

For riding, there’s plenty around the area. I think there are some more local to Oakley than me, so perhaps post another thread on that. My riding is more Andover/Stockbridge/Salisbury Plain area, which may be a little too far West for you.

cinnamon_girl

Watership Down isn’t far, lovely climb to the ridge. 8)

I’m missing Hampshire. 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Here’s some routes for you. Post up if you need any further info!

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/cycling/cycle-trails.htm

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Where’ve you moved to CG? I may have read, but apologies for forgetting. 😳

cinnamon_girl

Captain – I’m in Wiltshire and sometimes ride past your beloved The Swan! Shall I pop my head around the door when I’m next passing, bearing in mind I invariably look like a tramp and ride a shonky singlespeed? 😉

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Thanks CG. Did a lovely route from my book around Watership Down last year. Planning to repeat it next week. For somewhere so close to large conurbations and major roads, it seemed incredibly quiet.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’re in the Avon? Wow! I lived at Nethers for a while, and worked at a certain very local brewery! Oh, and I know….I still owe you a ride.

No, no, no! Wash your minds out everyone else. Not that sort of ride! 😉

cinnamon_girl

cheshirecat – there’s loads of nice riding around there, I know the area pretty well. The Candover Valley offers plenty of trails, even a little bit of rockiness and, of course, lots of bluebells.

Yes, trails are incredibly quiet but you’ll need to watch out for horses!

Captain – lucky for you I’m still recovering from my shoulder op then! 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Northerner travelling into Waterloo – where to park in the Basingstoke area?’ is closed to new replies.