Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Northern Sardinia
  • nicko74

Way OT this, but the better half and I are going allez a la Corsica on holiday, then getting a ferry from there to Sardinia – Santa Teresa de Gallura. We then fly out of Olbia about 4 days later, so have a short time to spend in the far north of Sardinia. We don't have any transport, and no particular idea of what to do/ where to stay, so can anyone give some pointers?
    Ta

spacemonkey

We stayed in a villa in Alghero (sp?) a few years ago (northwest coast IIR) and explored much of the northern region. Nice place overall – good scenery, very friendly people, etc. Didn't do any biking but there are loads of dusty trails up in the hills/mountains. And there are boats trip that head out somewhere from Esmerelda (sp?).

crazy-legs

I've stayed in Alghero a few times, lovely little town with some great restaurants tucked away in the Old Quarter part of it.
    Also near there is Neptune's Grotto (big cave network), you can get a boat trip out to it from Alghero, the boat sails right into the cave. 🙂

Stintino (far NW tip) is good for windsurfing/kitesurfing and you can also swim from most of the beaches without any hassle.

There's loads of historic burial mound things (they have a proper name but I can't rememeber it!) dotted around the place further inland, if you're into history look out for the brown road signs pointing to the castles, burial mounds etc.

jimmy

As we flew in to Olbia last year I thought there looks like some decent trails on the island. You can see them weaving about the dusty hills. But we went to Cala Gonone for climbing, which there's plenty of on the island if you're into that.

nicko74

Thanks for the thoughts guys – very helpful. How didja get around when you were there (ie between towns rather than around town)?

DrJ

My holiday pics from Northern Sardinia 🙂

We stayed near Arzachena, and spent time with friends at Cannigione. The coast around Santa T is beautiful!! To get around we rented a car at the airport.

crazy-legs

We were there on a road riding holiday so just used the road bikes. Staying in Alghero though it meant I've never seen outside of Bosa (South) and about as far as Ittiri/Sassari to the east. Been all up the NW coast though.

Sardinia is ace for road riding, really quiet and beautiful scenery. Outside the towns the roads are lovely and smooth. 🙂

geoffj

Capotesta, The Madelanas – garibaldi's villa and tomb, and capo d'orsa (the bear) are all worthy trips from Santa Teresa.
    there are also the nuragi to look out for. Good examples near Arzachena. IMHO olbia is a dump.

PeterHerold
    Free Member

How didja get around when you were there

The buses are good ARST and you can put your bikes underneath. Have you got bikes with you? It's not clear…if you have
    For road biking routes from Santa Teresa to Olbia, knowing the area (we live there and organise the english speaking group at the Giro of Sardinia, in 2008 based at Santa Teresa) I would advise you to try to ride some of the 2008 GF route, see here and for comments here

For mountain bikes there's a route here

If no bikes, the Maddalena islands and Capo Testa are good to see and for swimming as someone already said. If you've not got a guidebook see Sardegna Turismo
    Have fun!
    Peter

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Northern Sardinia’ is closed to new replies.