Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Northern Norway – bikepacking / touring gear choices?
  • motorman
    Free Member

Lofoten to be exact. Planning a summer tour & going through gear choices atm. Wild camping for 7 days in August, including hiking in the evenings.

Given the extremely changeable weather (Think NW Scotland) I need to be taking this as basic

Tent rather than tarp
    Light summer bag
    Down jacket for evenings & to wear in bag on cold evenings
    Good waterproofs – prob inc mountain trousers rather than shell layer
    Small, but good lights for riding through tunnels

Has anyone been to the area before & have any words of wisdom regarding gear choice?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I remember an article on the adventure show regarding the system of walking huts in Norway, you pay a membership, pay for the food you use etc… Looked awesome, as did the trails in between.

Del

hat, gloves. I’ve been there in august ( near Bodo ) and it’s pretty parky early doors. it was a primaloft jacket, hat and gloves for walking to work. was lovely and warm walking ‘home’ @ 2:30 in the afternoon though.
    enjoy – beautiful country, friendly people, generally.

bajsyckel

Presuming this is on road – I’d be interested in route for any off road bits.

I’d agree with all your gear suggestions, but would probably go for lightweight synthetic over down insulation. August shouldn’t be very cold, even with “nights” drawing in at the end of the month, but if you’re unlucky to get a wet spell (and these can be prolonged IME) then synthetic may be more practical if you want toventure out of your tent, even if down feels nicer.

A midge strategy (nets work for me) would be useful in some areas, though less more so than in the mountains proper than on the coastal roads and islands.

stevious

Was there a few years ago doing the exact same thing. Had a choice of small lightweight tent or heavier, roomier, stronger tent. I’m glad I took the bigger tent as the weather was a bit ‘changeable’.

The evenings didn’t get too cold (no colder than daytime, as you might expect) but it was often damp so we took synthetic jackets instead of down.

Lofoten is one of the best places in the whole world. So jealous.

motorman
    Free Member

This trip will be mainly road, but I will be investigating some other routes for a (Potential) fatbiking trip. I generally hear that most offroad routes can be difficult to unpassable on a bike though.

Bag – Yes was planning a a light synthetic bag case it turns really wet. Merino base & down jacket for insulation when needed.

Hat – Waterpoof craghoppers hat & taking waterproof glove in addition to the lighter cycling ones.

Will be riding flat pedals with boots (My normal setup)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Northern Norway – bikepacking / touring gear choices?’ is closed to new replies.