Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Northern Italy / Alps Road trip?
  • gee
    Free Member

Hello

I’m trying to plan a road trip next summer. Looking at flying to Genoa, then Finale Ligure and San Remo and considering driving up to the Alps before heading back to Genoa as the one-way car rental fees are crazy.

Has anyone ridden round here? We have two weeks. Any thoughts? Or is this best done in two trips? The car rental is so madly expensive one-way it’s actually cheaper to fly back to London after a week and then fly back to Geneva…

nasher
    Free Member

There are great routes, as big or small as you like. Between sanremo and imperia there is a cycle path that gives you car free access to the hinterland, also car free.

I am currently planning a trans liguria road trip.

Get in touch if you need route advice, support, transfers etc..

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We drove to Pila this year.

Hull to Zebrugge, Zebrugge to Pila. Living up north this suited us.

Overnight piss up on the ferry, Belgium 8am, Pila by 8 pm. Organised a meal to be ready on arrival, splendid.

Ferry was dear but included accommodation and breakfast. When I worked all out, it wasn’t that dear comparatively plus bikes on the back of a car in a ferry are really safe compared to a French hotel car park.

Doing it again in 2018 but to Leogang instead.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickdavies

I say this a lot, but your destination is not a summer one IMO – just too hot if you’re talking july/aug.
    Fantastic earlier or later, finale end of Oct was hot enough then!

I’d stick to the french/swiss alps, fly into geneva and have 2 weeks on bike parks and natural stuff. If you want to be based in one place for accommodation etc, then you could split into 2 week long sections. Morzine, Bourg st Maurice & Aosta would be good shouts for bases with a nice variety of riding within an hours drive (or no driving).

padkinson
    Free Member

I can imagine what George would say to the idea of driving from Holland to Italy.

colp

Doing it again in 2018 but to Leogang instead.

I’m there a fair bit. Post on here closer to the time if you want to meet up.

nasher
    Free Member

Sorry, thought you meant road bikes….

We run Mtb holidays in Liguria, and we are based in Molini just 30 mins inland and just over an hour from Nice, Summer is a great time to ride, contrary to what others say, mountains here (maritime alps) are twice the height of Finale, so are cooler, and you can drop to the sea.

Sanremo will be overgrown as these are only used in Winter, but there are loads of other coastal trails.

July and Aug in Finale is mobbed by Italian holidaymakers and its v quiet on MTB front, mainly as all the Germans will be in the Alps.

Getting to Turin is easy on the train, and there is great stuff in val aosta

Drop me line if you want more info

chakaping
    Free Member

I was saying to Ian I want to bring my road bike next time, as we drove over Colle San Bernado after staying with you Nasher.

Along with the MTB of course.

nasher
    Free Member

Hey Stace, yeah some sweet road biking, if you’re popping over again, then bring it with you..

jambalaya
    Free Member

I was about to recommend BikeRiviera as your best contact point 😳 (having met co-owner on a Nirvana shop ride)

A day late and a dollar short ss usual

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Northern Italy / Alps Road trip?’ is closed to new replies.