Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Northern Ireland riding
  • white101

I am staying in Belfast with some family and ‘working’ between here and Dublin. I have road and mtb with me and can ride tomorrow morning and Saturday.

So Rostrevor or Castlewellan on the mtb?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Went to Rostrevor a couple of years ago now and enjoyed it. Castlewellan supposed to be good too.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both over the years , Rostrevor is a lot of climbing then all downhill I would say it’s a 21/2 hr to 3hr ride to do it all. Castlewellan is more XC your on the pedals nearly all the time. Out of the two I prefer Castlewellan. Don’t dismiss Tollymore it’s all natural trails and is brilliant.
    Here’s a trail guide

http://www.mountainbikeni.com/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    white101

Fudge, thats the website I have been checking, good to see so many places with facilities like showers and a bike wash. Makes life easier when you are trying to get the work/life balance correct and go meet clients after a bike ride!

I think Castlewellan is going to happen in the morning, weather looks decent and I need to be back in Dublin for 4 to meet a customer. Think Saturday morning I will hit the roads around Belfast.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Good call, Castlewellan is great, especially during the week it should be pretty quiet.

gotbike
    Free Member

Castlewellan’s good fun, but quite pedally and you do have to work hard on the descents to make them super fast. I’ve never done it on a full sus but my old 100mm hardtail was more than capable so you might be a little overbiked if you have a rear shock. Rostrevor, as people have already said, is very much all up then all down, forest track climb at the starts a killer but the descents are real good fun (even if the trail designers don’t know what berms are…), and the views from Kodak corner are incredible (if there’s not too much weather coming in from the Irish Sea!)

If you have the time and/or inclination in C’wellan there are some trails they use for the first tracks enduro kicking about, but I’ve never ridden them and have no idea where they are, and may have trees down from the winters storms as I’m not sure it MTBNI maintain those ones. Same can be said for Rostrevor.

For C’wellan, there’s a free car park up round the back on the leitrim road instead of having to pay national trust as well, if you’re coming from the north it’s fairly easy to see but you might miss it from Castlewellan proper.

gotbike
    Free Member

Oh and roads wise if you want some routes chuck us a PM with how far you want and what sort of terrain you’d want, or if you want a club ride with friendly locals go and meet Phoenix cycling club at 9:00 for A pace and 9:30 for B pace. Really friendly bunch of guys who’d be happy to ride with you and show you the local countryside 🙂

Euro
    Free Member

Depends what type of riding you like OP. Cave Hill (not a trail centre) in Belfast is a nasty climb followed by a choice downs from the equivalent to TC blacks to world cup level DH stuff. This time of years it’s especially hard though. If you like feeling like you don’t know how to ride a bike, then a winter run down Swayze Train will do the trick! (Jimjam from here’s crazy creation 😈 )

Of the trail centres Davagh is best for hooning, Rostrevor for views and miles and Castlewellan falls in the middle. There’s also Barnett Demesne in Belfast. A few kms of blue stuff with a little jump park. No real climbs or descents but ok for what it is.

Tollymore/Donard forest parks have most of the best trails (natural) After the recent weather they’ll be slippy as, with possible trees down.

Stick to the TC’s or come back in the summer sure 😀

Sanny
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Rosstrevor last year although my favourite ride is definitely up and down Slieve Binean.

Quick q. What are the access laws in NI? I tried to find out but kept coming up with nothing. I’ve heard opposing statements and wouldn’t mind knowing what the real story is.

Cheers

Sanny

fudge9202
    Free Member

@ white101. Avoid the rear car park on the Leitrim road that’s where most cars are broken into. Park in the main square of the town and cycling up he main avenue to the trail head if you want to avoid car parking fees. But it’s not that expensive. Cafe does great coffee and scones when your done. Have a good one 😀

Euro
    Free Member

What are the access laws in NI?

It’s Norn Iron – ride where you want and anyone gives you jip – threaten to knee-cap them 😆

A few years ago it was illegal to ride your bike anywhere other than one little forest- Moneyscalp. Didn’t stop us from riding/building anywhere/everywhere as it was never enforced.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Access laws never enforced before Rostrever trail centre was built there were old trails all over the mountain and on busy weekends they are still used if you know where they are, all natural singletrack

sv

North Down coastal path is a nice spin if you have a spare hour or two.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Just my 2p

You can just go up the road in Rostrevor at the start, it’s pure pain, but about half as long as forest climb.

tmb467
    Free Member

I used to ride Donard / Tollymore / Moneyscalp / Castlewellan in the early 90s. Trail access was fine

I’d love to go back cos some of the stuff in Donard looks mint.

You can also go through Tollymore to get to Moneyscalp…or continue round to Trassey Track and then hikeabike up to commedagh and come down the front (but not in this weather)

andyha
    Free Member
    fudge9202
    Free Member

@white101. Well did you manage a run out round Castlewellan? What did you think?

windysurfer
    Free Member

Off to N Ireland for a week in May so just commenting so I can find this thread nearer the time 🙂

lyrikal
    Free Member

Moneyscalp trails are long gone. The whole forest has been felled.

Tollymore has some of the best natural trails I’ve ridden anywhere. It is very difficult to navigate though as it isn’t laid out in a loop. Mostly the good trails all point down from the two main peaks in the forest.

Donard is similar but a bit steeper and doesn’t hold up to wet weather as well as tollymore, Both of those are enduro style stuff I guess.

The trail centre stuff is easy navigate and mostly fairly good fun. I’d rate davagh as the best of them though the really good bits are quite short.

Rostrevor downhill trails were used for the redbull foxhunt and are really good plus there are some brilliant natural downhill runs if you know where to look. The uplift is great and the uplift driver Mehaul is always a good laugh.

If it’s natural stuff you are after it’s probably best to ask a local to show you around.

fudge9202
    Free Member

windysurfer just bookmark this

http://www.mountainbikeni.com/

white101

Well I had a cracking couple hours at at Castlewellan this morning, trail was perfect with a cover of frosty snow and the views up on the higher stretches were beautiful.

My bike is a camber FS, but I frequestly ride with it locked out at the back.
    I really enjoyed the trail, don’t mind the constant to work on the pedals, despite its lack of big big hills it has enough to keep you moving along quite nicely. The surfaces are in great condition.

What was particularly nice was the folk at the cafe. £3 for coffee, shower and a bike wash! Wood burner was in full flow upstairs as well. Well worth another visit in my book just for the welcome I got in there.

Tomorrows road ride is looking positive weather wise. Thinking of a Bangor Newtonards Comber -ish route. Its handy from where I am stopping.

Thanks for all the advice on riding, thankfully I’ve drummed up enough business to generate another visit in the future.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it, I live just 19 miles away l plan to cycle there from home and give my new Salsa Vaya a shakedown there once I get my wheels back from being built. Told you the Cafe was good!!

backinireland
    Free Member

If up north coast I can recommend garvagh for xc stuff
    Surfs good too windy Surfer!

sv

Tomorrows road ride is looking positive weather wise. Thinking of a Bangor Newtonards Comber -ish route. Its handy from where I am stopping.

Take the back roads if you can Crawfordsburn Road and Scrabo road. Should be a decent view from Scrabo.

white101

Wish I had gone Scrabo route, ended up along the A21 to Newtonards, tractors coming off the fields and the bike lane was a shat shower all the way from Comber. I was cleaner on the mtb at Castlewellan the day before!
    Was a cracking ride out though, crisp cold weather. I used the greenway on some of the ride and stopped to watch the football at the Billy Neill centre till my fingers dropped off!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Northern Ireland riding’ is closed to new replies.