• This topic has 19 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by anc.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • North western Lakes routes
  • IamSam
    Free Member

yearly trip to the dale of borrow is this weekend and been a bit slack on the route planning. Suggestions please for some thing a bit different, did Dale head as a bash extension last year. Skiddaw down ullocks been done and so’s grisedale pike.

Any locals suggest out?? was going to try and get up to Keswick for a ride tomorrow but can’t be arsed so sticking to ambleside.

cheers

Sam

IamSam
    Free Member

HELP PLEASE 😆

not got much map time left. Plus have a job to keep up and a child to feed.

IamSam
    Free Member

one last try

d45yth
    Free Member

What kind of ride are you looking to do? How far and how much time will you have?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not a local, but last time I was up we rode Fleetwith Pike – which has an amazing long, technical descent.

Went up through the Honister slate mine workings to get to it btw.

Did Dale Head the same day actually, now there’s a tough descent!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Rossett Gill?

IamSam
    Free Member

Was just looking at Fleetwith pike then looping back and over styhead, long day with lots of carrying but at least there’s a pub half way round.

d45yth, up there Friday mid day through till Monday lat afternoon, So two big days with short techy ride on the Friday, normally Skiddaw but the weather looks crap. easier XC type affair normally on the Monday.

Also anybody ridden up easdale to greenup edge??? I know its part of the coast to coast walk the other way so must be a reasonable trail.

bren2709

Borrowdae bash via Walla crag.
    Did it yesterday, nice and dry!

scruff
    Free Member

Iam Sam- I went W>E over Greenup Edge at Easter. Massive portage up and only half ridebale down to Easdale. Other way would be a big push up & have plenty non rideable sections on way down.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Fleetwith etc:

4-pass epic by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Which you could do from Langdale, and finish off with Rosset Gill as mentioned above.. Lots of hike abike, pretty much every climb apart from Honister, but its ace.

Click map for more pics

IamSam
    Free Member

Bren2709, you getting up onto wella crag past the mast? then back onto route at ashness bridge? if so not sure how I’ve missed that 🙂 looks like a good bit of road avoidance.

ir_bandito thats the route exactly camping in stonethwaite so rossett to finish puts us close to home but theres a big bloody hill in the way.

Scruff as I feared had been told not to bother…. but the guy had tried it about twenty years ago.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

fair enough, don’t do Rossett Gill then!(I presumed you were near Ambleside)

Walla Crags to Ashness bridge;

P5250014 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

🙂

IamSam
    Free Member

You know what for some unknown reason Rosset Gill scares me, and I’ve never even seen it. Wella crags and the right hander after the hidden view should get rid of most of the road stuff in watendlath which is nice.

Any advice in and around Dodd woods ???????????? other than avoid the Ospreys

bren2709

Yes up by the mast and onto the top as pic shows then follow path road.

Cannot understand why the guides go by the road?

anc
    Free Member

Whiteless Pike is good so look to putting that in a route.
    When you say Dalehead, did you go littletown>maiden moor>high spy>dalehead tarn>Dalehead>Littledale edge>Robinson>Buttermere moss>Buttermere village>Sail beck>then either Rigg beck down or up onto Causy then down the front or possibly across to High moss then Barrow descent. Thats a cracking day out if you did dalehead a another way.

anc
    Free Member

Cannot understand why the guides go by the road?

Cos its footpath init… canny put them in guides.

IamSam
    Free Member

Anc… up dale head from the top of honister following the ridge then down to the top of the castle crag BW past the old slate workings. tagged it onto the classic bash route. liking the sound of yours, plenty carrying, will put it to the committee

d45yth
    Free Member

Any ride with anc involves hike-a-bike! 😆

anc
    Free Member

Up from Dalehead tarn to the top of dalehead is a hard carry. But the rest of it is pretty rideable bar the odd bit… Fitness dependent obviously. The descent into dalehead tarn is brill as are some across to Robinson. Robinson to Buttermere drops off fairly steeply to the moss, route choice is important here. From the moss you head west(you’ll see the path) then the section into Buttermere is a fast winding descent. All the options from the top of sail beck are excellent too. Top day guarenteed… assuming the weathers behaving 😉

anc
    Free Member

Any ride with anc involves hike-a-bike!

Blah blah blah…. don’t listen to him 😆 😛

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘North western Lakes routes’ is closed to new replies.