Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • North West Today
  • willber
    Free Member

Just been an article on the local news about ‘booby traps’ being set around saddleworth and Dovestones reservior to potentially kill mountain bikers. Police are investigating, but not really sure how you can?!?!?!

Apparently ropes between trees (nothing new) and loose boulders etc strategically placed to catch bikers out.

At least the problem is getting some media attention – just hope it doesn’t spread the problem.

tony_m
    Free Member

More here on the Oldham MRT FB page and courtesy of the Manchester Evening News.

hp_source

Yeah, saw this on the Saddleworth Mountain Rescue facebook feed and shared it.

I’ve lived in Saddleworth pretty much all my life, and until recently had never seen any deliberate obstacle/booby trap making. I was nearly caught out on Shadworth Lane (near the Royal George/Dysarts Arms) a couple of weeks back by a small ‘wall’ that was built across the track, being as this is a bridleway it seemed like a deliberate attempt to cause injury/stop use. Fortunately even though it was dark I had my portable sunshine on max and spotted in in time to stop, remove the obstacle and carry on…

I don’t ride and never have done in the plantation they’re on about, but I do run in there with the dog, so will be more vigilant now!

I hope it stops too now there’s been publicity, but I fear not.

BoardinBob

The article attributes it to “yobs” but things like this are a bit too pre-meditated to be “yobs”. They tend to prefer instant gratification rather than planting traps and buggering off. More likely to be militant dog walkers/ walkers/ horse-ists.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘North West Today’ is closed to new replies.