Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • North Wave winter boots.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Called the Arctic or something… road version. Anyone tried them? Any good? Looking at getting a pair. They are expensive but you can’t really put a price on warm dry feet!

lerk
    Free Member

I’ve got the mtb ‘lightweight’ version which are excellent… I’d say you’d want the thick ones for road though.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Cheers. I’ll probably go for the ‘cheaper’ road ones.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They’re excellent, but only as waterproof as the hole at the top that you put your foot in!

Otherwise, very warm and toasty.

noahhowes
    Free Member

As above. Mine fill with water eventually.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hmm. Tape could work? Would be faf though.

They stay dry enough for 2 hours of wet roads though right? Or not quite?

benji
    Free Member

Had some been far happier with my Specialized Defrosters.

puddings
    Free Member

They do two versions for mtb, standard waterproof and insulated waterproof. Above 5 deg I use the STD, colder I use the insulated and I find they keep my feet toasty, especially if I close the top properly to minimise water ingress.
    Couple of work colleagues use them to commute in and sing their praises although they use the Mtb version for the benefit of being able to walk in them if needs must

timba
    Free Member

I’ve got the SPD MTB Arctic (NW spell it Artic, which apparently is the Italian abbreviation and not a spoilling error 😳 )

They’re very good but I found that I needed to go up a size on my “normal” shoe. They can be too warm so choose your days well

wilhay
    Free Member

Try first… they come up very small..

madxela
    Free Member

Very good for days below 5C, you need to go a continental size up on your normal size.
    Top notch for warm dry feed (peak district winter night rides off road)
    I wear waterproof trousers to complete the dryness :mrgreen:

mrchrispy

great kit, this’ll be the 3rd year in mine

votchy
    Free Member

Had 2 pairs of these and never had cold or wet feet with them unlike the shimano ones I had in-between.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have both the MTB and Road versions, both work really well. On the road I find they work down to about 0c (with merino socks), the odd time I’d ridden when it’s colder I’ve used overshoes with them (this is rare I hasten to add and personally I tend to avoid road-riding when it’s sub-zero). Waterproof-wise they work OK and as I’ve stopped wearing tights and now just use shorts + leg warmers I put the end of the Castelli nano-flex leg warmers over the boot cuff which helps keep feet dry a bit longer (soon gets overwhelmed in really wet conditions though but feet stay warm which is the main thing).

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Cheers boys. I bought the the fleuro yellow road ones, 180 quid. They say they’re rated +5 to -25 degrees 😆 . I should be alright considering I rarely ride below about 2 degrees anyway. Although I would ride in colder weather if it got colder than that here of course 😉 .

molgrips
    Free Member

I picked up some road ones a few years back. A bit narrow, but reduced from £150 to £30 so I make do 🙂 superbly toasty.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got the artic versions o the MTB boots, they’re fine in all but the very warmest days of summer.

If you’re having issues with water through the top, get either a pair of rubber gloves and cut the ‘hands’ off or some drysuit seals, slide them up your legs first, then put the boots on, roll the seal over the top and it’s waterproof to all but complete immersion.

Having said that, I never found them cold even when wet, the complete lack of windchill coupled with the lining works well.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I bought these – they were reasonable enough but the cleat threads fell out in one ride!! (and from the Wiggle reviews not an isolated occurrence but I risked it as they were on sale)

I got a refund and since bought Specialized defrosters which I’m pretty happy with, although still have to give them a proper winter test. The boa system seems pretty nice!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘North Wave winter boots.’ is closed to new replies.