Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • North Staffs Riders – MOW COP – route psa
  • jekkyl

just a little PSA for a great little route we did last night, new to us but maybe not to everyone.
    Just for the challenge we went up the killer mile on our 26″ wheeled hardtails, at 25% gradient at points it’s very steep but you quickly ascend to the top, you could come in from kidsgrove to make it a bit easier I suppose. At the castle turn left and cycle along the ridge road. When you get to the end of there, takes the sandy bridleway almost directly in front of you.
    This one: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=387413&y=359582&z=115&sv=387413,359582&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=555&ax=387413&ay=359582&lm=0

This track was such a lovely surprise, it’s got plenty of rocks to make it proper mountain biking as opposed to just cycling along an easy path. It reminded me of some of the tracks in the peak district and I was mentally kicking myself that I hadn’t come up this way earlier, a really excellent track for the locale. Last night it was foggy on top and it was quite atmospheric rolling through the fog and picking our lines through the rocks and the mud. Then after the bridleway ends onto the road for an excellent steep downhill run on tarmac, go as quick as you dare. Have to say I didn’t go balls out and got the willies about washing out on the greasy wet tarmac so was on the brakes into the corners. Then almost to the bottom of the hill take a left offroad again to another bridleway.
    This one: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=386252&y=362055&z=120&sv=386252,362055&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=555&ax=386252&ay=362055&lm=0

A very fine muddy track that drops mostly and then climbs back up a little only to drop again and then flat where it comes out just before astbury mere. I got a puncture and the track was quite muddy, but great fun and would recommend to any riders in the area. The next opportunity I get to cycle this route again in the daytime I shall be having it.

jekkyl

no-one done this? 🙁

bigmick25
    Free Member

no-one done this?

Yep, its a regular run for me from Stoke.
    At the end of the bridleway across the ridge instead of turning left down the boring tarmac road turn right and then after 150yrds turn right down another bridleway that drops you out on the national cycle route (55) and you can either go left all the way to Congleton or right to Stoke all off road.

jekkyl

yes yes the biddulph valley way! puncture alley. I was thinking of going out on that one for my next ride there. Is there any more off road around that area that you know of? there’s several little pieces of woodland that might give up some singletrack by the looks of it, cheeky or otherwise.

I’m in stoke too, live trentham way. Email in profile if you’d like to hook up for a ride sometime or maybe we can share info about routes. I have a great catolgue of routes starting from stoke. I tend to only do evening rides at the mo, so starting at 8ish and going out until 11. Which means big lights cycling in the dark at the mo.

bigmick25
    Free Member

One route I have is down the Biddulph valley way then up to the ‘cloud’ at congleton before the run back the way you’ve come.
    Got a few routes that run from Stoke over to Congleton then up over the hills to Wincle and Gradbach and then run back to Stoke via rudyard but they are 40 mile plus rides with big hills so no good for evening rides.
    Might be up for a few night rides, but 8pm start is a bit late for me as I have to be up early doors for work.

jekkyl

Gradbach?! that is a long trek from stoke. I’ve been over to macc forest and round the 3 shires there many times and I work in leek so have cycled past rudyard and then past the bosley cloud a few times in the summer. Is there offroad stuff round the cloud too? I’ve never ventured off the road down the hill there.

Recently I’ve ‘discovered’ all the stuff over wetley moor, one track in particular, like the one I mentioned above, runs from a road at the other side of wetley moor and starts as a dirt track, over a load of stones and mud and then eventually to tarmac and comes out at the side of hulton abbey remains (abbey hulton) at the crem. Great fun as it runs down, it’s very very fast.

You know lymes road I’m sure at keele and the stuff past keele and silverdale. And silverdale park also and then you get to apedale and you can spend a whole ride just around there, none of it particularly techy though so I’m always on the lookout for challenging tracks.

beamends
    Free Member

very interested in anything in or around stoke. will have to take a look at this.

any gpx files or similar routes to beamends4x4@live.co.uk if anyone would be so kind, would be up for joining in on nightrides but with work and other commitments im usually managing to get out between 10-11 and not back till the early hours

jekkyl

Hi beamends
    I don’t use any gpx device and just scour local maps online to get routes. If you drop me a mail (ad in profile) with a starting point and a rough idea of distance I could probably suggest some places you could look at. I like to cycle on roads to get to bits of offroad rather than drive somewhere and get the bike out.

beamends
    Free Member

update, jekyl think i know the one you mean at wetley moor, think if you do it the oppossite way it takes you around a few nice footpaths all rideable to bagnall? if you do a bit round wetley moor ive found nice short/technical/fast natural downhill trail, starts near the dog kennels towards the bottom section of wetly moor, and ends out bringing you half way up ashbank just below bargin booze, it is footpath though but never see anyone there at all. think i logged it on ourxmaps so may be worth having a look on their site.

jekkyl

wicked beamends, is this the one you mean that comes out on ashbank?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=391992&y=348005&z=120&sv=391992,348005&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=555&ax=391992&ay=348005&lm=0

looks quite a decent run. I normally go over wetley moor by going down washerwall lane, passing the kennels and then straight over, loads of mud! at the mo.
    The one I mentioned is this one: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=391941&y=349575&z=120&sv=391941,349575&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=555&ax=391941&ay=349575&lm=0
    I’ve only been going from the yellow road on there so it looks like yes you can carry straight on on FPs to bagnall.
    I see there is loads for me to have a go at there, thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘North Staffs Riders – MOW COP – route psa’ is closed to new replies.