Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • North South Divide BBC4
  • djglover
    Free Member

Excellent viewing and providing some interesting insights into the divide in the minds of Northerners and Southerners alike.

Also interesting to see a program looking at England on its own rather than as a part of Britain.

So does it exist in your mind?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yep good program.
    If the divide exists in my mind, and it certainly exists in the beer 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

the more i travel around this lovely isle i realise that there is vast amount of regionalism, it’s the little nuances as to what we call a cake or a roll/cob/barm etc. these can be grouped into north/ south as they have been traditionally but there is equally as good case to split them in other ways.

footflaps

There is a North?

Stoner
    Free Member

just started watching it on iPlayer.

“This way Oasis: That way blur.”

All to the backing sound of Ride from the Going Blank Again album. far better than either the other bands managed. I might like this programme 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting show.

Awful, obvious choice of music. Somewhat irritatingly self-regarding presenter. But some quite illuminating interviews.

Iain Sinclair had it best for me – voicing my own belief that the north (like Scotland and Wales) define themselves in opposition to the south of England – while those in the south are happily oblivious to all the contempt and resentment aimed their way.

His assertion that the south is more integrated immediately made me think of the 2001 race riots in Bradford and Oldham.

Is that unfair?

Stoner
    Free Member

his natural preference for the north is a bit annoying for someone in a role that ought to be balanced.

I do agree with the obvious fact of northerners defining themselves by their non-southernerness whereas southerners just get on with being British. Could almost tie in with the religion thread – self identification through tribalism and opposition. 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

The South. It’s like another country to me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah – but the southerners mistake being English for being British – thats a part of what creates and maintains the divide.

English and British are not synonyms despite what the south east folk think and say

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘North South Divide BBC4’ is closed to new replies.