Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • North pennine routes
  • failedengineer

I’ve just been looking at the OL31 OS map, noticed a couple of seemingly obvious routes and wondered if anyone had done them 1) Starting at Unthank (GR 610404) / Gamblesby, up the coast to coast route to Hartside cafe, then down A686 toward Alston for a Km or so, right down walled track on to Bridleway (Maiden Way). Follow up and over melmerby Fell, long descent to Kirkland and across back to Unthank. 2)Starting at Milburn (GR 697293), up on to great dun fell, Cross Fell and back down to Kirkland, or extend it by doing the bridleway that loops round behind Cross Fell as well. I’ve done the Garrigill / High Cup Nick route from Dufton – just wondered if any of the others in the area were worth doing. I’m living in Brampton and there’s not much around here, apart from the route under Cold fell and a few ‘cheeky’ trails.

failedengineer

bump?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’ve done a similar route but starting at Langwathby and going the opposite way, and another to Garrigill:
    click pic for more

I think Maiden Way is better done northwards as it’s a very fast gravel/rocky downhill, but OTOH the other side might be a more interesting DH…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    failedengineer

OTOH?

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Only do it south-north if you like long grassy drags uphill followed by fast and wide estate track with no technicality on the way down. Isn’t really much better in the other direction- looks way better on the map than it appears on the ground.

failedengineer

I thought that it might be like that. Still, worth a go – might see a Hen Harrier or two?

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Dunno, better over your way (Geltsdale) for that kind of thing I’d have thought. If you do it though, north to south and bone dry or frozen solid is best or else the grassy bits are demoralising and easily damaged in places (as you’ll no doubt see from the motorbike tracks).

failedengineer

There’s supposed to be a few hen harriers around there. Saw one last year flying across the road near Hartside Cafe. So you reckon to go up to Hartside and back down the Maiden way, then? The descent from hartside looks OK though. Currently, ahem, resting between jobs, so I’ll probably give it a go soon.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

OTOH = On The Other Hand 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘North pennine routes’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts