Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • North of England road trip – where should I go?
  • Spin
    Free Member

From the highlands but heading south for easter.

Done a bit in Lakes and Yorkshire but only the usual suspects (stuff in Vertebrate Graphics guides). Will prob head back to these areas rather than further south.

Like: Steep, techy, rocky and rooty.
    Dislike: Big jumps, pottering.

Trail centre or natural, not fussed as long as it’s good.

Where should I go?

Mackem

Hamsterley is worth a go.

smogmonster

Spin, what you really need is a guided tour of Guisborough…if you head over to mtbguisborough.ning.com someone will likely show you the best bits up there that will meet your needs.

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers folks

I promise I wont be back on asking what tyres to use…

sambob
    Free Member

Peak District is good if you’ve never been, I’d be happy to show you around the Hayfield side or over towards the Hope Valley.

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers geezer but I think we’re unlikely to be as far south as the peak. It’s a bit of a trek from Inverness. Though I would like to ride there at some point.

sambob
    Free Member

That’s a good point. Even Fort William took us 8 and a half hours. Let me know if you’re ever down this way.

miketually
    Free Member

Swaledale – everyone should ride there once. Give Stu at Dales Bike Centre a shout and he’ll point you toward the good stuff.

Spin
    Free Member

Swaledale

Been but not biked. Any route recommendations?

miketually
    Free Member

There’s a great descent off Fremington Edge through an old quarry and some nice rocky stuff on the east side of Gunnerside Gill. I love Great Pinseat’s moonscape top as well.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Done a bit in Lakes

In which case, there’s loads more 🙂

Borrowdale Bash has good rocky bits, both up and down (especially with the extras). Skiddaw/Ullock Pike is rather tasty. Several ways up and over Helvellyn.
    Did a good route last week: Honister pass, Scarth Gap pass, Black Sail pass and Sty Head.

There’s plenty there…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ilkley Moor, Hebden Bridge area, most of it is technical and moor’ish with some excellent deep wooded areas and silky singletrack, then back out into the open land for peat boggin!!

globalti
    Free Member

The best area in northern England for mountain biking is the North Yorkshire Moors. Buy an OS map and you’ll be amazed at the variety on offer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘North of England road trip – where should I go?’ is closed to new replies.