Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • North Face Basecamp Duffle – worth the money?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

In defence of TNF also – I only know their summit range as that’s what I have the most of, and it’s brilliant stuff. I have a pull-on shell type thing made of Apex fabric which I love to bits for mtbing. It is orange though.

Btw I don’t think I paid full price for any of it. All on clearance or at the outlet.

chewkw
    Free Member

TroutWrestler – Member

We have a couple of Tatonka bags, very similar, tough as old boots, and the oldest one is probably getting on for 10 years old. Definitely a well-judged purchase. Cheaper than TNF by a country mile too…

Those Tatonka duffles look good and very similar to TNF and far better priced so… hmmm … where I can find one in the GeordieLand?

🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I have a Haglofs duffle. Got it from Escape Route in Pitlochry. It’s survived 3 Cycle Oregons where they get loaded and unloaded into artic trucks with 2500 other duffle bags every day. A handful of trans Atlantic and european flights too. Still looks like new.

freeagent
    Free Member

I can recommend this lot if you fancy trying something different –

Waterproof Holdall & Duffels

I bought one of their roll-top duffels at Stansted Airport about 4 years ago, Dixons had priced it up wrong and I got it for £15.
    So far its been round the Sahara Desert, and on countless biking/camping/outdoors trips and still looks good.

chewkw
    Free Member

freeagent,

This Over Board 90 litre duffel looks good but slightly larger than one I prefer as I want something between 65 litre to 70 litre. £60 + £9 delivery the price is still nice.

Tatonka Barrel (65 litre) is £49 + £6 delivery is looking good too.

They are all cheaper than TNF … so it seems like I will go for alternative to save some £££ and very different.

Decision, decision …

I have seen 100 litre TNF duffel and it is a body bag … 😯

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The TNF bags are brilliant. Very strong, very big and very durable. Mountain Equipment stuff I have had in the past has tended to be very poor quality.
    The large TNF is the best size for Europe, the XL is only really essential for going to America as it generally exceeds the luggage allowance for Europe if you pack it well.
    I can get a pair of ski boots + snowboard boots + ice climbing boots, ropes, crampons , ice axes etc into the large, just.
    I’ve got 7 of the North Face bags and they’re excellent. Wouldn’t pay full price right enough.

chewkw
    Free Member

So which one is better made?

The North Face 70L. £81 at my local.
    Base Camp Duffle
    FABRIC : Phthalate-free TPE fabric laminate, 840D Jr. ballistics nylon.

Over Board 90L. £60 + £9 delivery
    Adventure Duffel Bag
    Manufactured from strong & hard-wearing PVC tarpaulin with double stitching

Tatonka Barrel M (65 Litre) Rucksack/Holdall – Star. £49 + £6 delivery
    With the material mix of tarpaulin and textreme
    Material 1: Tarpaulin 1000
    Material 2: Textreme 6.6

Northwind

I like my North Face one, it’s well travelled and it’s picked up a load of marks and scrapes from rough handling but doesn’t feel any the worse for wear. Could probably do with a little more storage options inside- more net pockets etc- but still, it’s good.

Hoff

I bought a 70L Quechua Duffle bag from Decathlon a few years ago. It’s pretty much the same design as the NF versions. It has detachable shoulder straps so they don’t get torn off by the baggage handlers. Has survived lots of treks like Kilimanjaro. A bargain at £29.

DrJ

I’ve got cactus trousers

‘ts gotta hurt 🙁

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Great bags, mine gets a battering on helicopters and in and out of crappy weather. If your careful and look after them they last and don’t get stolen.

I Guess they’re popular, not sure if that makes them chavvy. I suppose theyr’e chavvy if you don’t own one. 😉

If you don’t like parting with money don’t buy one…Tatonka make a good duffle bag for less.

geoffj

I picked up a large from Tiso yesterda. I looked at a couple of alternatives, but the sealing was the best on the TNF except for a cheapo copy from Mountain warehouse, which looked better made, but was only 40l.
    Got a £20 voucher as part of the deal – which was nice!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just picked up a NF 72L Base Camp from Cheshire Oaks for £53. I would have looked at the ME ones but I need rucksack straps for my purposes. At that price I’m happy.

chewkw
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member

Just picked up a NF 72L Base Camp from Cheshire Oaks for £53. I would have looked at the ME ones but I need rucksack straps for my purposes. At that price I’m happy.

The cheapest NF 72L Base Camp I can find is from my local Blacks outdoor shop at £60 but the colour is pink … 🙄

I want either bright yellow or orange colour with rucksack straps.

Well Tatonka is still in contention.

timber

Mate has Tatonka ones in his outdoor shop, seem pretty sturdy and feel well put together – damn good price and all. He also stocks TNF, ME and Gelert bags, they all sell equally well, only Gelert ones get returned for warranty.

I’ve got a TNF one that was given to me, no sign of it wearing out, shoulder straps work best when it is full.

molgrips
    Free Member

I also have a smaller Vango one. Nice, not as heavy duty as the ME one but consequently much lighter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

For you folk worried about weight of bags

Eagle creek no matter what xl

You wont get lighter strength .

Brilliant traveling bag when you need lots of kit

Sandwich

Just the thing for the kinky spy about town!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Another Tatonka user here- took one to Canada this winter and its perfect!

chewkw
    Free Member

Finally I decided to choose a yellow Tatonka Barrel M (65L) from here:

It’s on sale and I think I bought the last one of the yellow Tatonka Barrel … its now say it’s discontinue but if you click on the different colour they are still in stock. 😆

Ordered on Tuesday and arrived on Thursday. Paid £49 + £4.99 postage.

Uttings.

They have many Tatonkas …On offers

I don’t know if the one I bought is their old stock but it seem rather sturdy.

mattsccm
    Free Member

25 years ago I would have said yes. Nowadays there are alternatives.
    I have several ME ones from Cotswold. In many ways the few extra features are dead handy and the price is better. Maybe the NF one is a touch thicker.
    I use both.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘North Face Basecamp Duffle – worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.