Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • north east mtb routes
  • neil853
    Free Member

Evening people. I’m back in the north east having been living in the north west. Just wondered if anyone local knows any good routes locally? I know a few but I’m always keen to see more, anyone fancy being a guide for me and a couple more? Happy to bring cake 🙂

lee170
    Free Member

I live in Eaglescliffe and can show you some top quality routes over the North York moors etc, taking that you are a MTBer??
    Go onto http://www.mtbe.co.uk
    Organise a ride (mtb) there’s a group of lads on there who organise local rides most weekends, good set of lads to.

Lee

miketually
    Free Member

Where in the North east are you based?

The new stuff at Hamsterley is good and should stay rideable all winter. It’s all on the red and Black routes, but once you’ve found the good stuff you can mix and match. The Hamsterley Trailblazers do guided rides one Sunday a month, or finding the group on Facebook should get you in touch with other riders (there’s an official Trailblazers group, and also a Hamsterley Riders group).

Swaledale has some great riding, with some fairly obvious bridleway loops, or have a chat to Stu at Dales Bike Centre and he can point you toward the best ones for the weather on the day. (Top tip: if it’s windy, use the valley bottom BW when heading upwind, then go downwind on the tops.)

hot_fiat

Thrunton woods has some amazing routes, none of which are signposted. You can get more info here

Cheeky after-work hour sessions can be had at Chopwell. Ride em now before it gets dark and the place becomes labyrinthine.

Kielder’s trails get better and better, though it’s nearly as quick to drive from Newcastle to GT.

Holywell Dene is still riddled with hidden stuff. Best explored on foot then returned to with a bike.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

If you’re Tyne Valley way at all, we ride from Hexham at 8pm every Wednesday. Usually local stuff, occasionally a short drive away.

Pippalarge
    Free Member
    jonba
    Free Member

http://www.midaircrisis.co.uk if you are near Newcastle. Ride on a Thursday night for local stuff aroud the city.

gazc
    Free Member

this is a good guide o get you going in county durham/southern northumberland

beyond hamsterley

if you’re in newcastle LD mountain centre usualy has this and a few other bike guides in stock

also clubs noted above worth trying out, add beamish oddsox to the mix too

baden

There are a good few routes on here:
    http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_main_page.aspx

neil853
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I’m based in hartlepool, I’ve been out with the gboro mtb guys a few times during the week, great guys but when I’ve tried to see if anyone is up for weekend riding i haven’t had any response.

Just wanted to know if anyone would mind showing us some routes, north yorks would be good, I used to know some routes around silton where the old downhill course was but haven’t ridden there for 10 years plus.

Just waiting for my new lights to arrive so I can get out this week night riding 🙂

Creg

The MTBE forum is worth a look for route guides and the forum is pretty active. Lots of people in the NE post on there.

snakeysnuggles
    Free Member

Would like to be involved in any local rides. E-mail in profile, live near Durham City

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘north east mtb routes’ is closed to new replies.