Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • North East England – where's good to live and ride?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

So it seems this confirmed southerner may be relocating to the North East soon.

Where’s good to live and ride up there? My ideal would me a small to medium sized town ideally with good off-road and road riding on the doorstep, and some kind of riding community to drop into. (Down south I do regular night and weekend riding, without driving – oh paradise).

We’d probably want to be max of an hour drive from Newcastle city/airport.

Thanks

– Matt

philconsequence
    Free Member

moving up north… my commiserations dude *hug*

20thebear
    Free Member

A mate lives in Hexham and there are a few groups that ride there I think

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Hexham – you can join our Wednesday night ride…

keavo
    Free Member

northern edge of the north york moors national park. small towns that come to mind, yarm, stokesley, great ayton and guisborough. could ride from the house/without driving (except yarm) onto moors/woods. theres a few smaller places too. i mostly ride alone, or with one/two friends but believe there is a regular riding community in and around guisborough.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Durham’s a good place to look, less than an hour from Newcastle & Teesside airports, 45 mins from the North York Moors, an hour from Swaledale, close to Hamsterley & the North Pennines beyond & mebbe less than 1 1/5 hours from the boring, rolling hills of the Cheviots.
    Depends on your budget though dunnit?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Probably want to have a look up the Tyne Valley – Corbridge, Wylam, even Hexham. Keeps you on the right side of the town for access to the airport (A69 is decent road in for you) – that’s access to the wilds.

North of the city you’re looking at things like Stannington (nice little village) maybe, or up to Morpeth. Again, just off the main A1 so commutable with ease.

Again, you have a choice – east of city is seaside so not much riding, south is Gateshead/Sunderland but again urban and a bad way to be coming into Newcastle (though if you’re used to London traffic it probably seems like an open carfree road).

Drac

An hour you say?

Hexham area

Morpeth area

Rothbury area will come with doorstep riding

Alnwick area, some really nice people live in this area and me. Not quite doorstep riding well nothing exciting but it’s a short hop to the Cheviots.

Durham area is nice too.

Your spoilt for choice and it’s all clean too and not overcrowded not like the south.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Bear in mind anything that requires you to drive past Team Valley/Metrocentre on the A1 will take you a long time (especially at Christmas when all the grannies go out in rush hour to buy presents).

carbon337
    Free Member

If your working south of Tyne then live south of tyne – and vice versa.

I work in Newcastle City Centre and live on the coast near Alnwick. No riding as such from doorstep but 30 min drive to Rothbury area and some secret spots.

Commute to Newcastle on the train from Alnmouth normally at £40 per week.

40min drive to Newcastle.

Id say from what you have suggested – Morpeth, Alnwick, Hexham, larger nice towns but they all do have rough areas (like anywhere really).

Loads of nice places about, Rothbury for riding but no big shops or anything (you may even see some Raoul Moat mourners hanging by the riverside) – Corbridge, Wylam, Warkworth, even up Bellingham area there will be good riding places near (Kileder) but small town – few pubs and local stores.

eshershore
    Free Member

I lived in Newcastle for 5 years and thoroughly enjoyed all the excellent riding around Chopwell, Prudhoe and the surroundings valleys all accessed from the city centre by bike, by riding out past the Metro Centre to Rowlands Gill and onwards, or North through the Race Course out towards the coast

great bike club at the University who were happy for non-students to come out riding on Wednesday afternoons and Sundays

also found it very easy to take trips by car (with driving friends) to Thrunton, etc.

20thebear
    Free Member

I know of a nice 3 bed house that is for sale in Newcastle, and another in Hexham if your interested 🙂

GEDA
    Free Member

I have a revolutionary idea. Live dead close to your work so it takes no time at all to get there, or hopefully you can bike. Then for the nights or days when you want to go riding either bike there or get in the car and drive the say 40mins to Rothbury/Thrunton.

I come from Rothbury and would really like to live there but could not stand commuting all the time. I used to do it from Sheffield to Nottingham every day taking about 2 hours out of my life. Now it is 10 minutes to ride to work, see my friends and Family more often and am less tired so I can do more riding and am not a grumpy git, well most of the time.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Hexham (where I live)

Local trails:

Moorland Singletrack by ir_bandito, on Flickr

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Geda – I live dead close to work (1 mile) AND i can go riding without havign to drive anywhere. 🙂

Carbon337 – Hexham’s “rough area” isn’t too bad.

bajsyckel

As a southerner looking for small/medium size towns in the NE, I’d say that you don’t have that many options (bearing in mind most places known as towns here would be thought of as villages to many southtrons, including some places mentioned before). Towns within 1 hour of Newcastle with decent riding nearby (and some local clubs etc)? I’d say Alnwick, Hexham, Shotley/ Consett/ Castleside, Barney.

Then you have the likes of Richmond… but that’s not really the North East any more.

I wouldn’t personally recommend Morpeth area for riding. Wooler is probably a village by southern standards, but is a pretty big one and about 1hr from town. Rothbury the same but closer, ditto most Tynedale settlements mentioned and Stanhope (all tick the boxes for riding locally on and off road). Morpeth and SE N’land is crap for riding by local standards. As a few people have said, Newcastle itself isn’t a bad bet as it has decent access to several areas, several road clubs and saves the waste of commuting. Just not much great off road stuff on your doorstep.

ir_bandito- that must be a recent pic, I bet it looks just like that out on the moors just now…

Drac

To be fair he said an hour max anyway.

GEDA
    Free Member

Bully for you. So can I. I takes 1 hour riding on cycle paths to get to the forest but that’s my endurance training.

Drac

As a few people have said, Newcastle itself isn’t a bad bet as it has decent access to several areas, several road clubs

So does Morpeth and it’s a rather nice area.

Mackem

Don’t live in Consett. It’s my home town, whilst there’s some decent riding round there it’s dull as owt and full of idiots (more so when I visit).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

October 28th. (2007)
    So no, not recent. But it is like that on Hexhamshire Common in the dry.

Nearer to town:

Home by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Pukeko
    Free Member

Mattjg,

Just come and visit. A half day drive around Tyne Valley and just sth Newcastle will instantly give you a feel.

+1 ir_bandito and bajsyckel

mattjg
    Free Member

Hey thanks all for so much info so fast, appreciate that. Re commuting that’s not an issue, I work online. I walk to the home-office and my fingers cover the rest of the distance.

Mackem I’ve been to Consett and hear you well on that (my other half is from Great Lumley).

keavo
    Free Member

north yorkshire is not far. i regularly travelled from teesside to gosforth in about 50 minutes, via a19/tyne bridge route. about 1 hour middlesbrough to newcastle airport.
    speaking of gosforth, thats a very nice place to livebut not a small town.

mattjg
    Free Member

I think I forgot to mention that I need a selection of pubs selling soft southern shandies, and a fishie-on-a-dishie shop of course.

goodwill

Woody
    Free Member

All the band down from Hexham to Durham ie. west of Newcastle is mostly good and you’ll be spoiled for choice with riding . Problem with knowing where to live is that you really don’t know what an area is like until you get local knowledge. There are some big new developments in Consett and it’s not as bad as it used to be (seriously Mackem 😉 ). By the same token, places which look idyllic (usually described in estate agent speak as charming semi-rural former mining village close to Durham eg. Sacriston) might have a well deserved bad rep.

I tend to get to most of the bad places on a fairly regular basis around Durham/Consett/Stanley/Rowlands Gill areas, so if you are thinking about there give me a shout. If I don’t know, the guys at work certainly will

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I think I forgot to mention that I need a selection of pubs selling soft southern shandies

That rules Stocksfield out then – no pubs at all!!!

Kahurangi

Hexham’s good. I’ll be moving back there (or Prudhoe) later this year. Currently spending a year in exile in Newcastle.

I go out on Wednesday night with a bunch, some of whom have already shown their faces here *waves*

So how come you’re moving ooop north? Why the constraint on location if you have a home office?

I rode in Guisborough a few weeks ago an there’s as much or more to ride and a bigger community than in Hexham. Hexham is much better located for Newcastle. Guisborough to airport = 1hr20+. Hexham to airport = 25 mins.

Hexham has at least one really good pub, several ok ones. Luckily most of the best pubs are a short ride away 😀 Haven’t tried the fish ‘n’ chip shops. Having worked in a Grimsby chippie for 2 years I can’t lower my standards.

neninja
    Free Member

Love where we live – village NW of Darlington – large village green, 2 pubs, shop, chippy – decent people.

The riding from the door is a mixture of bridleways some better than others. Also Hamsterley is only 15mins, N York Moors 1hr, Yorks Dales 30mins etc.

Xylene
    Free Member

Lived in Wylam for 18 months at my folks flat there. Decent access to places to ride. Quiet as well.

mattjg
    Free Member

@Jon

> So how come you’re moving ooop north?

Shock pregnancy of partner, we’ve been abroad for a few years but have to go back to UK, bloody hard to find a house (buy or rent) in Dorking where I’m from (& has great riding), other half has family in the NE so that’s second candidate.

rob2
    Free Member

I’m completely biased as I grew up there but

Tynemouth/Whitley bay – not great for mtbing but by the sea and lovely place

Or rothbury – riding on your doorstep but a bit pricey.

🙂

jonb
    Free Member

STW NE ride?

Don’t recognise a lot of names on here and you all seem to live not that far away.

Chopwell for an afternoon could be fun. Or Something more adventurous if you like.

moose2008
    Free Member

Near stokesley is good. As mentioned theres lots of riding and groups around Guisborough but theres lots over towards Osmotherly and around there too, thats where we ride every thursday night 52 weeks a year drop an email if you want to join in. Also Dalby Forest and Hamsterley Forest trail centres are within an hours drive and are both very good, oh and stainburn aswell.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Chester-le-Street, it’s almost equidistant from Newcastle and Durham (or Sunderland if you’re that way inclined), on the main railway line to Landaan (and 6 minutes to Durham/ 9 mins to the toon), has some great riding on Waldridge Fell and the surrounding woods, is almost on the edge of the Pennines, the C2C trail goes through it so you can pootle across to the Lakes on a free day, it has ok pubs and also ones that sell southern shandy, a decent bike shop, a Test Match cricket ground, a dog racing track, oh the list goes on.

Plus, the Bible was first translated into English there.

All in all it’s a great place and is within half an hour’s drive of Hexhamshire, on proper country roads so you have the best of all worlds.

Hope this helps! 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

P.s. The Beamish Oddsox are a local mountain bike club, dead laid back and a nice bunch of folk:

http://www.beamishoddsox.co.uk/Home.aspx

Woody
    Free Member

😯

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Don’t tell me you’ve never heard of the Oddsox Woody! 😀

Woody
    Free Member

Of course – I’ve even seen them out and about but never actually made it out for a ride.

The 😯 was amazement as I’d never thought of c-l-s like that. I live in the posh Durham suburb of Langley Park y’see 😉

Mackem

The oddsox calendar uses USA date formatting. Not nice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘North East England – where's good to live and ride?’ is closed to new replies.