Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • North Downs riders – what tyres?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Heading your way tomorrow, but still running a Spesh Slaughter / Butcher combo.

Worth the tubeless headache of switching to Storms, or are the Downs beautifully well-drained at the moment due to their sandy goodness?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Conti Vert Pros.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Conti Vert Pros.

😆

I hear they’re nearly as good as High Roller 1s.

Gotama
    Free Member

Are you talking Peaslake/Holmbury/Winterfold? If the former then you’ll be fine with the butcher and slaughter although I suspect the back might get a bit lively in the loamy stuff. It’s wet but not too bad although it is meant to rain tonight. That said I went through the tubeless faff a while back and have a nice Maxxis shorty on the front with a Conti Der Baron Projekt on the rear so I’m speculating with your life rather than mine 😀

acidtest
    Free Member

Storms aren’t necessary if you’re talking about the Surrey part of the North Downs, parts of Kent they might be a good idea when it’s wet but the ground is pretty frozen at the moment.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

That said I went through the tubeless faff a while back and have a nice Maxxis shorty on the front with a Conti Der Baron Projekt on the rear so I’m speculating with your life rather than mine

😆

Fair point. Have ridden around Peaslake before, but not for a while; figured it’d be OK, just not ideal.

Storms aren’t necessary if you’re talking about the Surrey part of the North Downs, parts of Kent they might be a good idea when it’s wet but the ground is pretty frozen at the moment.

I’m coming from the IoW which is probably pretty similar. Not changed this winter as I’ve been riding the hardtail (which has got winter tyres on). Mmm. Wet chalk.

😕

acidtest
    Free Member

I instantly associate wet chalk with the sensation of landing on my face.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

Conti Vert Pros.

I hear they’re nearly as good as High Roller 1s.
    Dont you mean Conti Horiz Pros?

dovebiker

Where you heading? Some bits of the Surrey Hills (Greensand Hills) are mainly sandy and free draining, whereas others are chalky and a bit of a clag-fest in winter. Around Peaslake was pretty muddy last week and whilst frozen this week, overnight rain should see it thaw out.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Where you heading? Some bits of the Surrey Hills (Greensand Hills) are mainly sandy and free draining, whereas others are chalky and a bit of a clag-fest in winter. Around Peaslake was pretty muddy last week and whilst frozen this week, overnight rain should see it thaw out.

Peaslake. It was filthy, but I didn’t die. I call that a result. 8)

nedrapier

Tick! Well done. Have fun?

pictonroad

I got up there yesterday, not been for too long. It’s absolutely FILTHY away from the scalextric trail centre finish bits.

Outstanding fun though. 8)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Whole of Surrey Hills is a mix of different soil.

North Downs ridge is chalk/clay and will be horrible.

The greensands ridge of the Surrey Hills “MTB mecca” is a mix of different softer loamy peat like stuff and sandy soil. Holmbury is a bit firmer and dryer. Pitch and Winterfold a sloppy bog. Leith is boggy in areas.

Oddly it’s only been the last few weeks it’s got bad. For most of last year, despite periods of heavy rain, it’s still been relatively dry. Everything’s reached saturation point now (and it’s bloody raining again when the forecast said no rain today 👿 )

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Tick! Well done. Have fun?

Yes. A lot more trails since the last time I rode there (several years back) and a real step up in trail technicality – some proper steep, techy stuff, which was great fun in the wet. Planning to head back over once things are a little drier.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Where was that picton?

pictonroad

At the soggy bottom after dropping down the switchbacks near the Oil drilling protest. I’ve actually done that before down there, but in a different puddle!

Whoever is sticking the stuff together in Redlands, chapeau to all of you, it’s technical as F and brilliant. I wont leave it so long next time.

JackHammer

Rubber ones with tread and some air in work best I find.

deadkenny
    Free Member

pictonroad – Member 
    At the soggy bottom after dropping down the switchbacks near the Oil drilling protest. I’ve actually done that before down there, but in a different puddle!

It’s always a bog there any time of year. It’s picking the line that isn’t going to be axle deep that’s tricky. Last time through, picked a line that looked less boggy, nope, right in it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘North Downs riders – what tyres?’ is closed to new replies.