Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • North Devon/ North Cornwall – where to stay?
  • olddog

Got a week off in September. Me and Ms OD fancy a trip down South and West. I’ve stayed in Woolacombe, Bude, Watergate Bay, Padstow, South Moulton, some other places and random campsites I can’t remember – but only Watergate Bay recently. I’ve tended to get my surfing fix locally in the North Sea or longer trips to France over last few years

Looking for relatively easy drive to surf break with van friendly parking, option for biking if it’s flat. I’ve surfed most of the breaks from Woolacombe to Newquay at one time or other so have a fair idea from that perspective, but previously been sleeping in my baby motorhome, but now sold, so no idea on other accommodation options. I’ve not been further west

Accommodation wise, apartment or small hotel, b&b but nowhere they count the spoons and tut if you take more than one small pot of jam with your breakfast

jim25

For the last few years ive stayed at a b and b in Croyde called Thistldoo. Real nice friendly people and theres slso a new bike centre down the road call the keypitts I think

Mantastic
    Free Member

Was going to mention croyde, but also campsite called surfers paradise

gusamc
    Free Member

Have a look at Ruda(aka Parkdean), Croyde – we stay at the beach apts.

(They do special offers and out of season lower prices)

*There are wigwams somewhere at Woolacombe as well

wrightyson
    Free Member

I love trebarwith, so lovely cottages right down near the coastline, pub, shop and that’s all you need really.

ski
    Free Member

Lol

Lay here chilling in our tent at Ruda in Croyde.

Love the place, 4th trip this year 😉

The Thatch pub is also one of the best pubs that offer good food, beer and live music

Just don’t tell everyone 😉

Houns

See everyone rave about Croyde but I’m not a fan, much prefer Woolacombe.

I’m heading down and staying at Mortehoe on Thursday for a few days. I’ll be pootling around on my crosslight pro 6 so if any one sees me you can buy me a cream tea

Anyway to answer your question, I normally camp down ther e but recently I have stayed here

http://www.townfarmhouse.co.uk/1.html

The owner is a top chap and was quite a serious roadie/mtber

Edit

My comment about Croyde is not based on a surfers perspective!

tonyd

Croyde! Haven’t been down that way for some time but love it to pieces. I’ve stayed at Thistledoo and can vouch for it, very nice friendly people, 5 minute walk to The Thatch, similar to the beach (not that anything is far away). Great walks round Baggy Point (and great climbing too).

IIRC blokey at Thistledoo is a pretty tidy surfer.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Trebarwith is lovely, as is Crackington Haven – also a bit quieter than some of the other areas on the North Coast. Port Isaac gets rammed during the summer but is nice off season. No surf there but Polzeath is just down the road and the coast path betwen the two is lovely.

Is self catering an option? If so we’ve got a few places scattered around the North Coast. Some on offer for September too. What dates were you thinking of?

http://www.helpfulholidays.com

Pook

love croyde, but have you also considered exmoor? this place is ace… triscombe farm.

scruff
    Free Member

Croyde in-season has become a victim to the M4 corridor types. Full of yuppie wannabes looking for rad surf man and being shouty in the Thatch with collars upturned and Raybans being worn at night. Cant beleive the parking charges at Puts and Saunton, but folk pay it so why not charge it, need somewhere to park the 13plate T5’s I suppose…

soops
    Free Member

Hartland is a cool place. I used to live there.
    Spekes mill or welcombe mouth for surfing.
    The old smithy at welcombe for a fantastic burger.
    The Hartland quay for a sunset beer(my old local).

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Croyde in-season has become a victim to the M4 corridor types. Full of yuppie wannabes looking for rad surf man and being shouty in the Thatch with collars upturned and Raybans being worn at night.

We love Croyde and only live an hour or so away but generally avoid it in the season for that very reason. It seems to have become the new Rock.

Having said that we got a cheap deal here in July and it was great.

Home

Completely incongruous for Croyde to have a union-run holiday complex but decent reasonably priced accomodation, good facilities, a 5 min walk through the dunes to the beach and lacking any pretension whatsoever.

Even enjoyed the retrotastic evening cabaret (in a purely ironic sense you understand).

brassneck

Cant beleive the parking charges at Puts and Saunton, but folk pay it so why not charge it, need somewhere to park the 13plate T5’s I suppose…

£6-7 for a day out isn’t that bad value really, and it keeps some of the locals in work (friend of the Sis in Law owns Puts apparently). The yearly pass sounded pretty good value if you are lucky enough to get there after work for a year.

We love Croyde and only live an hour or so away but generally avoid it in the season for that very reason. It seems to have become the new Rock.

Was there last weekend, it wasn’t quite that bad yet! But then I avoid the village itself having younger children, so maybe miss the worst of it.

Cherry tree Farm @ Croyde is decent and a 5 minute walk to the beach, 2 minute drive to Puts (assuming you have a family, wouldn’t want to walk it with a board either).

ski
    Free Member

Will be in Mortehoe tomorrow visiting the dead 😉

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I was going to say this place but its fairly busy in September, stayed here twice with mrs bristolpablo, once for our honeymooon and again on our 5th anniversary. Its a great place to get away and very peaceful, one night we saw the milky way such is the lack of light pollution.

http://www.classic.co.uk/holiday-cottage/desc-1727.html

its not cheap but its a fantastic place and the location is great for Sennen and Praa Sands isnt too far away. Hopefully the free weeks tie in with your availbility…

olddog

Cheers. I’ve surfed Croyde, but not for a long time, never stopped there. Seems like an option, but inland too maybe, particularly if the biking was on the doorstep.

Is the parking cheaper if you have a scruffy white renault trafic on a 54?

zippykona

Splash the cash stay at The Saunton Sands Hotel.
    Jacket and tie for dinner though but free parking for the beach.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘North Devon/ North Cornwall – where to stay?’ is closed to new replies.