Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Norovirus
  • matt_bl
    Free Member

In short:

This morning, my 11 month old daughter Anna, has thrown up all over herself twice and twice shat herself so badly that the only way to deal with it was a bath for all concerned.

Is there any way I can save myself before tomorrow or should I just plan for a day in or near the bathroom?

Matt

P.S. Anna is now happily lying on the floor chewing a lion!

Markie
    Free Member

Keep her hydrated, try to keep feeding normal and stay near the bathroom 🙁

And if concerned because symptoms are escalating, call NHS direct.

Note, I am not a medical professional, but this advice worked for friends of ours. But it was grim.

project
    Free Member

Ensure you wash your hands and use anti bacterial soap from a dispenser, wipe clean anything you touch , and stay close to a toilet, it goes in about 48 hours and the symptoms come on quick, me and a neighbour had it recently.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Grim is about the word, from my perspective. The little-un appears to be laughing it off.

Thanks for the hydration reminder though.

Matt

chakaping
    Free Member

It might be the rotavirus, which my daughter suffered recently. I also got it. It laid me low for a week and a half and I lost half a stone.

Anyway, my daughter got so bad we had to go to the hospital. They got us to give her 5ml of water every 5mins in a syringe (orally!), so as not to stress her tummy – rising to 10ml after an hour or so.

Might be worth trying that if she can’t keep it down normally.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Whichever one it is just keep things clean and keep her hydrated. Our daughter had a night in hospital this week due to this.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Thanks guys,

We’re disinfecting, washing, hydrating maniacs at the minute!

Matt

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Had this problem a few years ago.. 2 key things to remember. Hydration, hydration, keep anyone effected drinking little and often, this on it’s own alleviates the worst of the symptoms (i.e crippling abdominal cramping).
    The other thing is that you can continually get reinfected, having suffered one dose is no protection. So clean and disinfect everything involved, regularly. I ended up carrying antibacterial wipes around the house with me and wiping down everything I touched while I had it. Still got 3 rounds of it over the course of 2 weeks and ended up in an isolation room in hospital on a saline drip for 2 days..! It’s basically natures Picolax.!!!

paddy0091
    Free Member

I kept being sick in the yard…then hosing it away! ha ha

So weird as I would feel fine > violently sick > feel fine for 10minutes > repeat

Think it lasted about 10hours.

Hope the nipper gets better soon and that you don’t catch on!

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Had this before Christmas and made the mistake of going to work before the ‘real’ symtpoms started. Cue a rapid retreat back home and some fireworks- fortunately managed to separate the 2 acts from happening simultaneously. Strangely while it was all going on I kept thinking back to the iconic Picolax thread that keeps re-appearing on here and wondering if perhaps it was an office prank. I don’t get ill often, but this had me off work for 2 days and feeling pretty rubbish for about 2 weeks. Seemed to affect my appetite and everything I ate for those 2 weeks made me feel ill again.

Would re-iterate the above stuff. Get some rest and keep drinking (water obviously!). I passed it on to the rest of the household and was not popular, so if you havn’t got it then you probably will.

Good luck!

defydude
    Free Member

It might be the rotavirus…….It laid me low for a week and a half and I lost half a stone.

A rival for the iDave Diet©?

chakaping
    Free Member

I did look pretty trim afterwards. Bum still not fully recovered though.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There was a norovirus outbreak on Cycle Oregon in 2009. About a quarter of the riders were hit with it. That’s 500 folk in tents rushing to portaloos.

I was lucky as I have the constitution of a horse, though I did get the fever on the last day. I’ve never felt so weak on a bike.

Good luckto your daughter, it usually lasts two to three days.

darrell
    Free Member

as this is a virus, anti-bacterial soap is less than useless

but general hygiene is key.

If you get it, keep hydrated and good luck

ps i had it last week and it was reet grim

redfordrider
    Free Member

Been there myself. Fortunately, no little ones involved. Soapy water and WARM water is the key for bacteria. Lather for at least 20 sec. Then DRY your hands. Try not to touch your face. A thermometer is your friend! Good luck.

grahamt1980

As someone said above anti bacterial stuff will do nothing. Both noro and rota are viruses. The only things that will work are bleach and stuff like the alcohol hand gel. And even then you will be lucky to avoid it. However good luck.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

antibacterial wipes / soaps will have some effect on viruses – they re disinfectants so will kill viruses as well Depending on the type of course)- that why we use them in hospitals to prevent cross infection

IIRC its airborne droplet infection so its almost impossible to stop from getting it if youa re dealing with cleaning up the mess. I have had it a couple of times from working in hospitals. Not fun.

YOu should also avoid contact with other people as much as you possibly can

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Norovirus’ is closed to new replies.