Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • normal tyres, is it worth trying in the snow ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

Is it worth trying to ride in deep snow with normal tyres on ? rear is a Rubber queen, or do you just end up going nowhere slowly for a lot of effort ?

ta

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I was out last night in snow up to the disc rotors with 2.25/2.4 Schwalbe fat alberts. Shift all your weight onto the back wheel and you’ll be fine up most slopes. it’ll be slow but still quicker than walking.

richmtb

How deep?

Even with spiked tyres you will struggle in deep snow, up to 6 inches is reasonably doable with any well treaded off road tyre, won’t be fast though!

Simon

We did a “ride” from Pateley Bridge last Christmas.

We all had normal tyres, I had WTB Timber wolf (Fr) and Swampthing (r).

It was impossible to ride in anything more than a few inches of snow on the flat or uphill. We ended up pushing up the hill, falling off a lot going down the hill to Scarhouse Reservoir and then bailed out on to the road and retired to the pub!

chipps

Sure, give it a go. You won’t go fast, or far, but it’s great fun. Put some flats on though as clipless rapidly becomes useless…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Would love to know how you manage that Luke, like most, I find climbing in snow mostly impossible.

Del

depends on the type of snow as above. some is surprisingly grippy.
    and time clipless pedals work just fine. 8)

jp-t853

Del said it. I must be an eskimo but the snow at the weekend was very powdery and dry and it was great fun riding. The snow today is a bit wetter with more density (good snowball & snowman snow), I haven’t ridden today but I know it would be harder work.

Saying that it is often compacted on the trail and you can pick your line.

The thing that got me at the weekend after an hour or so was the -5 air temp which seemed to be cooling me from the lungs outwards.

steveh

We’re off out in 45 mins si, it works but is hard going. I was out yesterday too and sunday and…..

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Al- drifts up to the rotors, sorry. Usually just 6-8″ deep.

Struggled at first but found that having your weight way back really helped.

BoardinBob

Swampthings were fine last Saturday in maybe 3-4 inches. If anything the traction was even better as I got up a couple of climbs that would have had me off and pushing.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’ve often found thinner tyres work well if there’s a firm base under the snow as they seem to cut through and grip beneath.

Last winter a hybrid bike with 700c cyclocross mud tyres out-performed 2 MTBs with studded snow tyres on some rides.

It depends on the snow really – slushy is the worst.

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Was out on Sun there in snow typically 4 incheS deep, was good fun. We all managed to stay upright for the majority of the run and it was surprisingly grippy on the climbs.
    Cycled into work this morning also, managed no probs, even passed some cars when things started to point up the way. Should note both these rides were on Maxxis advantage tyres…
    Give it a bash, great fun and a good work out!

eshershore
    Free Member

I spent last season riding in mud and snow on regular Specialized Captain 2″ tires

and today rode to work through deep snow on Specialized Control Purgatory (front) and Captain 2.2″ (rear)

no problems to report with grip or control

votchy
    Free Member

The snow earlier this year was fine to ride in with normal mtb tyres, ran Blue Groove front and nevegal rear and they were fine, both 2.35″ DTC’s

gamo
    Free Member

Riding in snow is great! did a couple of hours on sunday morning
    in my local woods, snow was about generaly about 6″ deep and up to rotors in some place’s,just got to be ready to shift your weight
    about and stay off the brakes as much as possible!
    Sunday night and my legs felt like i had been on the bike all day!
    Minion/Ardent combo both at about 22psi.

simonm
    Free Member

Steve.. shame I didn’t know.. would have joined in, that said – remote working is a possibility for me so no excuse !

Its about 3″ here, will go for a short spin l8r then and see what fun can be had !

simonm
    Free Member

flats are on !

matthew_h
    Free Member

Simon you big girl. I rode Advantages all winter last year and they were fine. You don’t need special tyres for every different condition. Just learn to ride better.

Blimey.

Saying that, if you do want to buy some more tyres then pop by and we’ll sort you out, lol

sam42
    Free Member

What Del said. Fresh powdery snow is pretty grippy if you adopt the right approach, don’t stomp on the pedals and stay off the brakes. Re-frozen snow however, is an unrideable nightmare.

simonm
    Free Member

pmsl.. Cheers Matt !

Edric64
    Free Member

land cruisers on the crosser seem ok at the moment.SPDs can fill with ice though which makes clipping in difficult

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Just been out in 3ft of snow with SPDs and my Specialized Fatboy Slicks.

No problem at all, just keep your weight over the back wheel, it’s all technique blah blah blah………….. 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘normal tyres, is it worth trying in the snow ?’ is closed to new replies.