Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • normal stem versus quill type on child's bike
  • crispy1980
    Free Member

Hi all, I’m currently looking for a ridgebak mx 20 for my sobs Christmas present the olDer 2013 bikes have the normal type stem whereas the later bikes have the quill type stem. This is putting me off the newer bikes but should it? What are the advantAges it each? Cheers, Chris

Yak

Quill /threaded – easier/ quicker stem height adjustment, but not as stiff as normal/ahead/threadless and heavier.

Normal/Ahead/threadless – lighter/stiffer, but needs long steerer and a stack of spacers to get the same range of adjustment.

Wouldn’t put me off. We all used to have these anyway a few years ago.

breadcrumb

I remember when quill stems were the normal type!

Regular headsets (quill) need a couple of large spanners to adjust the bearings too, not as simple as a aheadset to adjust. Although this shouldn’t need doing very often.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Much easier to change position on a childs bike with a quill and the bars can grow with them to make sure their head is looking up and forward

julianwilson
    Free Member

Kids bikes are often so heavy all over anyway, imho the advantages of a quill stem outweigh the weight increase. (Did you see what i did there;) ) Trek kids bikes used to come with one with an adjustable angle too, again adding more weight but great for altering the reach as well as bar height.

amedias
    Free Member

For a kids bike a quill stem is a plus point, not something to put you off.

A 50g heavier stem isn’t going to bother them, but having the bars at the wrong height is, and it will bother you if you’re the one having to adjust stem height regularly with an A-head stem, before finding out you’ve run out of steerer and need to get antoher one.

crispy1980
    Free Member

Cheers guys, that’s settled my mind then. Ps anyone recommend any other bikes? Nit the isla btw, he defo wants front forks, he would be dissapointed if nit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘normal stem versus quill type on child's bike’ is closed to new replies.