Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • normal single speed gearing?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Just wondering, got mine temporarily singlespeeding at middle(34) and the 5th smallest at the back(9sp 11-34).

How does that compare to the average singlespeed gearing that people normally have?

samuri
    Free Member

how many teeth does that cog have, 20? If so I;’d say you’re probably going a bit easier than most people normally would.
    If it’s on a 17 tooth cog on the casette then I’d say you’re about the same as most people.

2:1 being the accepted norm.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said, I run either 38/19 or 34/17 (which are in fact the same) depending on which spares I can lay my hands on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    seosamh77
    Free Member

tell a lie i just counted them, it’s on the 6th smallest and the middle i’ve got on that is only 32 so 32/17, cheers just curious, like I say it’s only a temporary measure for the next month or so and i was just wondering what people normally have, to 32/17 is still weaker than the norm.. cushty. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

marginaly, 32/16 would be ‘normal’ so only one gear off.

mrlugz
    Free Member

I run mine at 40/16. only use it on the road though 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheers.

miketually
    Free Member

32:17 is the gear of winners.

BigJohn

I ride 34:18 off road and switch to 36:16 for tarmac.

4.1 metres development.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Did 40 miles yesterday, balloch to tarbet(plus into the town) and back. Not the greatest route, too close to the main road, but importantly no hills(I’ll need to build up to them), so a good singlespeed test route!

I think i can see the simple simplicity in singlespeeding, road only mind doubt i could handle it offroad. But a definite flash back to my pre teen bmx days! :mrgreen: Love the way you kinda wind up the bike and it’s good it forces you to stand for any hills, I’m very guilty of just granny-ing it up hills.

Contemplating getting a wee light singlespeed flying machine for commuting and longer runs, any recommendations on the best way to spend 300quid on one?

Actually I’ve got an old guiseppe olmo road frame up the road with a bottom bracket, forks and bars. You think you could do that up single speed for under £300 quid? need wheels, peddles/cranks, chain, chainring, front and rear wheel, and brakes, and I’d probably put better bars on as i’m not convinced by drop bars. I’m off to google but any recommendation on parts? Particularly the wheels? Or am I just better picking up something second hand?

Also for the road, definitely need a harder gear, 32/17 was fine with chunky tires, but i think i could push a bit more. 32/16/15/14 maybe for the road I think to have a range I could change as I suppose you can change that when ever you like .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘normal single speed gearing?’ is closed to new replies.