Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • normal or straight laced wheels?
  • gixerator
    Free Member

A friend is after a new set of wheels of his enduro. He will have to re use the front hub as 25mm Maxle.

straight laced is £40 more expensive. What are the advantages and is it worth the difference.

He is looking at these, any opinions?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-hope-pro-ii-on-mavic-xc717-wheelset-09-34686=

Thanks,

patriotpro
    Free Member

I had normal and snapped the rear spokes with annoying regularity

Have SP (straight pull) now and they are stiffer, stay truer and have not snapped (or felt like snapping a spoke) in 2 years so if it’s a wheelset you’ll give some hammer to then i’d say yes the extra is worth it.

Hope that helps

gixerator
    Free Member

Yes I will let him know thanks

sambob
    Free Member

SP look cooler too. FWIW I have Pro3 XC6 with SP spokes, needed tightening after 3 months but now very stiff and straight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Millions use regular spokes not straight pull, no benefit to latter.

It’s your mate’s money tho.

tazzymtb

crows foot, because it looks ace

Junkyard
    Free Member

what al said.

coatesy
    Free Member

Cheapo spokes snap regardless of whether they’re straight-pull or not, straight ones are rarely available off the shelf in an emergency(got a customer who may be looking at a 2month wait for Shimano ones), though you will have two spares supplied with Hope wheelsets.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hang on…re-using front hub…do you mean radial lacing…on one side only?

I’m confused.

RustyMac

That hope one in the link will be using J (regular type run of the mill easy to get hold of spokes) in a standard 3 cross pattern.

You can get hope hoops with strait pull spokes that come in a 3 cross ??? build but as others have said spokes are harder to get hold of.

I would not think radial lacing the front wheel would be a good idea (going strait from hub to rim with no crosses of spokes)

gixerator
    Free Member

Front hub will be laced as it was with new spokes and rim. the question was really about the rear but link shows a pair.

Thanks

Northwind

Not really convinced of the advantages but the disadvantages of straight pull- ie, not being able to easily find replacements- are potentially a big deal. I ended up doing a day at fort william on a failing wheel because no shop in the area had a single straightpull. Would have been a 10-minute job in the first shop if it’d been a J.

People talk about removing the “weak spot” at the J- but how often do you break a spoke there?

aracer
    Free Member

crows foot snow flake, because it looks ace

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you are talking about radial lacing – it is bad practice to relace a hub with a new pattern. the spokes bed in and will have recesses to sit in. you’ll see this if you strip the wheel.

EDIT: oops read the thread now 😳

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Straight pull a nightmare for replacements. I’d avoid at all costs in future.

Cheap spokes fail, badly built wheels break spokes (uneven tension).

patriotpro
    Free Member

as cynic-al sez – “millions use normal”

go for straight pull they look and feel better

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

For all the SP users that are worrying about spokes snapping and not being able to get hold of spares in a hurry, why not just order a few extra when you get the wheels and keep them in your kit bag/car/tool box for if the time arrives? It’s what I do, but I’m yet to snap a spoke ever.

cynic-al
    Free Member

patriotpro –
    go for straight pull they…feel better

A classic.

My “BS of the week” thread will return 😛

patriotpro
    Free Member

problem cynic?

patriotpro
    Free Member

As Blazing says – good simple advice that you wouldn’t think needed saying but alas…;)

Northwind

Blazin-saddles – Member

why not just order a few extra when you get the wheels and keep them in your kit bag/car/tool box for if the time arrives?

Mine are in my toolkit. Not much use if it happens some time when I don’t have my toolkit. I took some to france but if I’d broken 3 spokes, I’d have been foobered.

Carrying spares is fine but it’s not as good as not carrying spares.

TrentSteel
    Free Member

it can be a long wait for a replacement straight pull, but if one broke you could just straighten a normal spoke using some pliers and lace it up as an interim measure.

cynic-al
    Free Member

FWIW straight pull hubs are IME more dished and hence weaker.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘normal or straight laced wheels?’ is closed to new replies.