Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Norfolk – worth taking the bike? Other stuff to see?
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    We’re off (very oddly) to Norfolk over the bank holiday. No idea what to expect, except it’s going to be flat 🙂

Wondering whether it is worth taking he bike or not, and if so, which bike?

We’re staying half way between Norwich and great Yarmouth at Acle. Singlespeed? road bike? Cross bike? Enduro weapon? (well maybe not that) Looks like there are a couple of BWs nearby, lanes etc.

Also if there is anything else in the area non-bike to go and see then I’m all ears.

Cheers!

Trimix
    Free Member

Colemans have a mustard museum in Norwich. Thats it really.

demonracer

It’s not that odd, loads of people come on holiday here ;-).

bol

There’s some good road riding round there. Clearly not a huge amount of hills, but lots of pretty back roads. There’s entertaining mountain biking out round the coast at Sheringham, but probably not worth bringing a bike for if you’re only here for the weekend. Make it a hardtail if so.

In terms of other things to see/do you’re in the middle of the Broads at Acle, so lots of boaty type things if you’re into that. You’re not far from Norwich, which I think is a lovely city (but I live here). Obviously there’s the coast too. I’d give Yarmouth a miss, but if you head north there’s some nice beaches. Have a look at Waxham if you’re after deserted and sandy.

demonracer

Being more helpful you’d be fine on your CX bike or road bike around that area. If you want to ride something a little more MTB then Thetford Forest, Bacton Woods or Pretty Corner near Sherringham would be your best bet.

What do you enjoy doing? Norfolk has plenty to offer but more info is needed to give you good advice, what distance from Acle are you willing to travel?

el_boufador

nice one, thanks, this is just the sort of advice I’m after

We’re there until Wednesday I think

I’m sure we will hire/crash a boat at some point, go to the beach also

demonracer

I’d also avoid Yarmouth, if you want a seaside town Cromer or Sherringham are much nicer but further away, you could combine one with a trip to Blakeny though (one of my face route places). You can either walk to or get a boat to Blakeny point. The Dun Cow at Salthouse is good for some food if you do this.

You have Fairhaven water garden nearby, the Ship Inn at South Walsham has always been good when I’ve used them.

If you hire a boat I’d consider starting from Wroxham and heading under the bridge towards Coltishall, the bridge is low so limits traffic in that direction. Failing that head in the other direction and take in Wroxham and Salhouse broads before a stop for lunch in Horning.

If you like

garage-dweller

The steam railway at Sheringham(?) as something to potentially do.

If you’ve got children or like zoos there are Amazonia and Africa Alive within day trip distance.

el_boufador

thanks demon, willing to travel I guess an hourish?

Our family like doing outdoorsy stuff. Me, the missus, boys 9 and 7.
    Bikes, walks, splashing about in water etc. Not too bothered about seaside towns or cities really

1-shed
    Free Member

Take a cross bike and a map. Lots of tracks and back roads to explore. The north Norfolk coast and surrounding area is wonderful. Cheers 1 shed.

Wells is a lovely town, with a cracking beach, dunes and a huge pinewood which you can ride through

MoreCashThanDash

Bewilderwood. It’s amazing.

Fat Birds at Hunstanton for bike browsing.

Amazing beaches along the north Norfolk Coast.

Edit- just seen you later post. Definitely Bewilderwood.

flip456
    Free Member

You could take a look at Bewilderwood, we have season tickets as my 5 & 8 year olds (& I) love the place. Den building, zip wires, tree houses, slides etc etc.

streaky
    Free Member

Goggle tunstall forest. The Viking trail is well worth a look.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Norfolk – worth taking the bike? Other stuff to see?’ is closed to new replies.