Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Norfolk Riders – El Mariachi/fargo/Ogre/Rohloff test ride and bivi ride
  • thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

‘Ello all!

I’m based in Norfolk at the moment and planning a off-road bike tour in scandinavia or Europe for the summer but would really like to try out some of the above bikes before laying down any cash! (Any other 29er, rohloff compatible frames, able to take rear racks would be ace too). Would also love to try a rohloff, it makes all the sense in the world imho, but would like to try one first (on any bike!). Thanks in advance, I’m sure a pint or two can be had as well!!!

In combination/separately if anyone fancied doing some long distance rides or small biving adventures it’d be a laugh! I was reckoning marriotts way, then up towards coast. Camp then coast line, back in etc. Or anything really!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My tuppence, most people seem to be going for frame bags off road, with a sleeping bag on the bars and a giant seatpack.

Panniers off road are horrible.

Depends how off-road you want to go though, for fire roads etc they’d be fine (just go easy on the corners with all the weight out back). But you mentioned a mix of XC and off-road touring frames.

It also raises the question of the gears, hub gears are a comprimise, great reliability, but does add more drag. A dereilieur system won’t wear out in a single tour either though, and is easily fixable in any bike shop if you do break it. So if the tours going to cover lots of muddy or rocky singletrack, the rolhoff makes sense, on the road/less technical tracks then why not keep it simpler.

NormalMan

I’m getting interested in backpacking, it kind of was the sort of thing that started my interest in mtbing back in the mid 80’s but then I got distracted with the xc race scene then dh.

Anyway, I’ve been reading a fair bit on http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.UK
    I’m sure you’ll get plenty of feedback here but it’s worth a look too.

All the best with the trip btw.

Sanny
    Free Member

Of no use but my frined rides an Ogre with Rolhoff which he really likes. I rate the Fargo for the kind of riding you do but aren’t local to you.

http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk for your bikepacking needs :D!

Perosnally I like old fashioned mechs. Easier to fix and not so back wheel weight biased though this is of less concern if you are travelling loaded up.

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Thanks all for the links and thoughts – I have spent hours on each of those sites already 😆

In reply to some of your queries/suggestions, I originally thought the same, however… The tour is not just a bikepacking trip, otherwise, yes just frame bags! (I plan to have them as well as the panniers!!) It is instead going to be a rather extended tour where I’ll be camping and as self sufficient as possible. Furthermore I’m hoping to combine it with woofing for which I’ll need working clothes etc.

The idea behind the set-up is a. to pack the rear rack light. e.g. tent and clothes. and use a framebag setup as standard. Then to have a rohloff as I want to be riding as off-road as possible and perhaps spend a few days at the norwegian bike parks, and then also do xc riding between now and then/afterwards. For these reasons it makes sense for me to go the igh route where mud/external mechs wont wear/get smashed into pieces. In the Uk this is less of a worry, further afield, more so. Of course, budgeting might enforce a standard gear set-up 😮

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

A small bump for the afternoon

scud
    Free Member

Hi mate.

I’m based in Mileham, not far from Swaffham/ Fakenham, but currently work in Norwich.

You are more than welcome to try out either of my “bikepacking” bikes, have a Cotic X and a Salsa mukluk fatbike, along with a Cotic Solaris?

Always happy to meet new people, consume ale and talks bikes!

pauljwhitlock@gmail.com

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

There’s a fair few folk in your neck of the woods on the Bear Bones Forum

I’m sure someone would be up for it 🙂

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Heya scud, thanks for the offer, although I’m pretty settled on the bikes front! Also, you have a fatbike.. ahh man I’m jealous, I’d like one just for those rare rare times you’d get to use it! I’m more than up for ride if you’re around though – might be worth making a post for it, getting a group together? I’m only just back to Norwich so I’ll have to find my way around Mousehould again.

SS – thanks, I’ve spent alot of time on there, but still waiting to hear back for an account! Soon as I have one, I’ll follow up 🙂

mattrballen
    Free Member

Hi,

I just googled bikepacking norfolk and this came up so I’ve stopped lurking and signed up. PM for other contact details Thenarleycenturion, also I drive through Mileham on the way home when I can’t stand the A47 anymore so Scud if I can come try some fat that would be awesome as I’m trying to justify one.

I normally post on retrobike under a different name.

Cheers,

Matt

Curly68
    Free Member

Have you tried ringing Ison Distribution? They are distributors for Salsa etc and they may have a bike for you to test or could know a dealer that has a demo bike that you could try?

singlecrack
    Free Member

You may want to look at Surly ECR ……covers all bases ..and rolhoff compatible ……
    I need one ………
    http://surlybikes.com/bikes/ecr

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Norfolk Riders – El Mariachi/fargo/Ogre/Rohloff test ride and bivi ride’ is closed to new replies.