Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nordic Walking – WTF
  • lucien

Went out in the rain today, and there were mega bunches of Nordic Walkers everywhere – the ones with the pointy poles, bobble hats AND red socks.

Got loads of grief even though I was not riding “off piste”.

As above, WTF

valleydaddy
    Free Member

big following of this around my way, supposed to be beneficial 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

I remember sitting outside The Cutty Sark in Greenwich when a couple of bods as you describe strode past with their poles and all the gear. This is in the middle of London ❓ ! Nearly dropped my pint!

Jamie
    Free Member

They were obviously lost, Kevevs.

stevomcd
    Free Member

As an International Mountain Leader, the French professional association keeps inviting me to become an “expert instructor” in Nordic Walking. Double WTF. How the hell do you become “expert” at walking with sticks? Do you do tricks with them? Is it some kind of red-sock Parkour?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ear Kev, was I with you that day? I seem to remember something like that; I certainly remember how amused you were!

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeah! you were there. think it was the same time we met that bloke on a hammerited Dr. Jekyll. Just really odd/funny to see these kitted up ramblers with their poles traversing some Thameside cobbles!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah I remember now. Weirdos! Still; good luck to them if they’re enjoying themselves not hurting anyone.

Speaking of Nordic stuff; one of the oddest things I’ve seen on a road was in Norway; some bloke was skiing with skis with wheels on, dressed only in a pair of pink shorts. Proper shifting he was too. I later learned it was probbly a cross-country skier getting some training in.

Saw a dead Muntjac by the side of a road today. Quite upsetting. 🙁

boxelder

Live
    and
    let live.

People involve themselves in worse activities.

cynic-al
    Free Member

you never seen rollerskis before Fred? And I thought London was diverse.

LOLLERSKIS! 😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Speaking of Nordic stuff; one of the oddest things I’ve seen on a road was in Norway; some bloke was skiing with skis with wheels on, dressed only in a pair of pink shorts. Proper shifting he was too. I later learned it was probbly a cross-country skier getting some training in.

The nordic wheelie ski folk use Hillingdon cycle circuit on a pretty regular basis. Even hold the national championships there.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I don’t want to go to the grave without seeing a bloke on skis-with-wheels-on in pink shorts at some point in my life 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nordic walking is not just walking with sticks – there is a technique to use to get a significant boost with your arms and you end up doing a very fast walk.

I use sticks a lot out in the hills but rarely use the nordic walking technique – sometimes on climbs – I use them mainly to reduce the shock loads in my knees on downhills and for balance.

One thing to look for if you want a laugh is how many people put the wrist straps on wrongly

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I shall look out for incorrectly utilised wrist straps. I could do with a titter…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

you never seen rollerskis before Fred? And I thought London was diverse.

Yeah of course Al, cos rollerskis are sooo practical and such a good idea in a congested city. 🙄

Numpty. I bet you’re gonna say Glasgow and Edinburgh are awash with rollerskiers now, aren’t you? 😀

What we do get down here are bikes that have proper disc mounts, not some glued on spoon contraption…. 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I wouldnt use the wrist straps at all, at least not anywhere where there was a chance of falling. I’ve seen folk break their wrists that way. Each to their own though.

I’ve seen a guy riding around Canary Wharf on a chunky DH bike with full body armour, now that is ridiculous.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

agent – thats the joke – if you put them on properly they won’t break your wrist. Put them on properly and all they do is hold your hand in the right place on the stick without having to grip hard.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nordic Walking – WTF’ is closed to new replies.