Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Noooooo… (warning contains Nicolai and shattered dream bike content)
  • maurizio
    Free Member

Ode to Nicolai:

You were the strongest, you were the best, why the F*!* did you join the rest?

A years worth of planning my dream bike down yonder drain after Nicolai switch their line up to 27.5 🙁 (i could custom order, but considering the already huge prices a custom ti frame is better). I was hoping boutique brands like Nicolai would offer 26″ for the foreseeable future, but no – why offer so many colours if you cant even have the wheel size you want?! Grump. I hope tomorrows Eurobike brings better news!

fivespot
    Free Member

Get an Alpine 160, sorted 😀

Raouligan
    Free Member

Really there new 26″ wheeled bike is ace I’d love one if I could afford it, the first Nicolai that’s made me just think yep…

maurizio
    Free Member

Ahaha, i might indeed do just that! Although i dont fancy DIY-ing it for belt drive “/ (the main problem in getting a suitable frame.. expect to see a thread soon xD)

Raouligan – a fat bike is just for christmas, i want one for life

(see what i did there 😆 )

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Wheel size does not by itself determine a good or bad bike. Nikolai are not going to compromise a bike for the sake of it. Anyway 650b is virtually 26″ anyway.

teethgrinder

650b might virtually be 26″ anyway, but it’s not.

My Flows on ProII and my 3 pairs of tyres (not many compared to some, but still a min or £150 to replace) are 26″. So are my Revs.

I guess if you can afford a new Nicolai, you should be able to budget £350 for a new set of wheels and another £70-odd for new tyres. And £600 for new Pikes 🙄

maurizio
    Free Member

Wobbliscott – indeed it dosnt, but some of the components dont come in 650B! Namely Rims. Although i think saying nicolai are not going to compromise a bike ‘for the sake of it’ misses the mark, the Argon AM was only release 2012 and toted as the ultimate enduro HT. So for them to change it (especially after the huge run of the FR) is a bit dissalusionining.

Teethgrinder – spot on! 😀 except for that last sentence, a bit of a generalisation, my current (only) bike is all second or third hand and rigid/ss for the maintenance costs, its only a stroke of luck thats put me in a position to afford such a frame..and even then, i expect it to outlast me! (as a fyi, i’m only getting a new bike as i’m moving – going from xc and trail centers to peaks, scotland and the alps as well as enduro and dh racing 🙂 )

EDIT – apologies to Teethgrinder who’s excellent sense of humour escaped me 😳

teethgrinder

I guess I should have smilied my last sentence, as that’s actually what I meant…I’ll edit it with a roll-eyes or something 🙂

wwaswas

Talk to uk Nicolai they may be able to help?

accu
    Free Member

yes .. ..but you have to pay the full custom charge !

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

or buy a second hand Nicolai…..

i did, and it is quite simply the best bike i have ever had and its 26″ flavour – plus still has a couple years of warrenty left!!

have a look on Nicolai-UK website as they often had deals on there so you are getting a new bike – albeit you can’t fully customise it – however a full factory respray is around £300 so not horrifically bad and you’ll get the colour you want

TimCotic
    Free Member

Ah this thread could have been written by my buddy Jeff who used to obsess over Nicolais and owned a Helios AC and CC at the same time. His current bugbear is the replacement of 26″ wheels.
    Get at used Flux or 5-spots – there are loads about and they ride even better.

elliptic
    Free Member

Wheel size does not by itself determine a good or bad bike.

So wheel size doesn’t matter?

Nikolai are not going to compromise a bike for the sake of it.

So wheel size does matter?

Anyway 650b is virtually 26″ anyway.

So… err… why the changeover?

😕

Speeder

What would be the impact of putting 26′ fork & wheels on the 650 frame? Lower BB by a few mm? Would hardly be the end of the world and would future proof it.

bellefied
    Free Member

Speeder – Member

What would be the impact of putting 26′ fork & wheels on the 650 frame? Lower BB by a few mm? Would hardly be the end of the world and would future proof it.

^ this

D0NK

the Argon AM was only release 2012 and toted as the ultimate enduro HT. So for them to change it (especially after the huge run of the FR) is a bit dissalusionining.

agreed.

however a full factory respray is around £300 the price of a frame so notyes horrifically bad

😯

cookeaa

I’m not exactly Pro 650b but I don’t think its the disaster half the world thinks TBH…

Could you not simply adjust your dream a little?

Trade in your old wheels/fork for some new 650b ones, it’s not exactly like you’re going down a “Cheap” route buying a shiny new Nicolai anyway?

Or Maybe just fit your 26″ wheels and fork to the “650b” frame? It won’t explode* despite all the marketing guff, a 650b frame is just a 26″ frame with a slightly longer chainstay and lower BB…

Just contact Nicolai and ask how detremental to the bikes handling fitting your 26″ kit would be… I doubt it knackers the warranty.

*It might explode.

steviecapt
    Free Member

why not just fit what you have already got, then when it wears out upgrade simples, theres no huge difference anyway lol, its not the end of the world isit?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Wheel size does not by itself determine a good or bad bike.

So wheel size doesn’t matter?

A good bike is a good bike, The wheel size is irrelevant to this. You get good and crap bikes in all wheel sizes.

Nikolai are not going to compromise a bike for the sake of it.

So wheel size does matter?

Yes, they feel 650b is an improvement over 26″ and they can build a great bike with this platform so are running with it,

So… err… why the changeover?

Because they can.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Noooooo… (warning contains Nicolai and shattered dream bike content)’ is closed to new replies.