Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Noooooo, my beloved 3 year old XTR cassette surely not dead- suggestions?
  • Wally

I really should not have put a new chain on. Old chain was over 0.75% worn, under 1% but looking a little rusty and tired, New chain then skips and slips around cassette when under power. So on goes a newer spare cassette and slipping instantly cured. So can I
    a) Buy the sections of teeth that are worn and slip?
    b) Take a dremel to the worn bits?
    c) Use old chain and old cassette on spare bike for a good while yet and run them both until they both die (not worried about spare bikes chain rings). Old chain and cassette are perfectly fine together.
    d)Get over it- buy cheaper next time.

RealMan
    Free Member

Use old chain and old cassette on spare bike for a good while yet and run them both until they both die (not worried about spare bikes chain rings). Old chain and cassette are perfectly fine together

Yeah.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Your complaining that a "3 year old" xtr cassette is now completely worn? That's good going if you ask me. Bite the bullet and get a new one ordered up. If you calculate it out it becomes pennys for the ammount of times you'll use it on each ride. Wiggle and ribble cycles have some good deals on them at the moment:)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've often wondered how many splines you'd have to file off to get the rings to fit the other way round 🙂 However for this type you'd need to drill out and re-rivet too 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

no to mention all your shifting cut outs being the wrong way round simon

franksinatra

Get over it, casettes are so last century anyway, everyone else is on to CD's or downloads now, fnar fnar fnar!

Wally

It just seems such a waste, the titanium 4 larger rings are in perfect condition, the 5,6 a 7 steel need replacing. I have never seen them as separate items, have you?

forge197
    Free Member

Wow that's excellent I got less than 6 months when I had one went back to XT 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

all your shifting cut outs being the wrong way round simon

yada, yada – where else is the chain going to go ?

Wally

Might be nearer 2 1/2 years having thought about it. But the replacement of like for like is still a no no. Things were much cheaper back in the day.

Wally

Top find, but sadly no 18+16 toothed together on a spline 🙁

singlespeedstu

3 years **** me you don't ride much do you.

fizzer
    Free Member

Had the same problem myself. Titanium rings perfect rest ****. Just waiting for it to happen to the Dura Ace one on the hardtail.

Bite the bullet – replace it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Noooooo, my beloved 3 year old XTR cassette surely not dead- suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.