Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Noooo, my son wants a Skoda Fabia, oh the shame!
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Just passed his test and we've been out to look at some cars
    and he spotted one. Had a good look around and he loved it!
    He didn't care that his friends would disown him and he would
    have to park it no closer than 100 yards from home.
    He is only 19 too, so is this natural behaviour?
    It's an 02 Fabia Classic 1.4 in metallic grey and to be fair
    I couldn't fault it for build quality and condition but he's a bit young for a pipe and deer stalker isn't he?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Your son has impeccable taste. Top first car.

iDave
    Free Member

you'd rather he had something like this?

damitamit
    Free Member

I think he needs the VRS!

plop_pants
    Free Member

He needs a good talking too.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I blame the parents

bikemonkey
    Free Member

First car I bought for myself. Haven't regretted it for a second and it's only "old people" over about 45, who know nothing about cars, who ever say anything bad. Even then I can count the occurences on half of one hand.

Let him get a VRS and be properly impressed.

CountZero

Sensible lad. Basically a VW Polo on the cheap. Cheap to run and insure, (relatively), and practical. Nowt wrong with that.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with a Fabia…

SilentSparky
    Free Member

You know I've read lots of good things about them but not sure if I could ever bring myself to buy one… strange I know. Saying that I did have a Marin for a while that was very good.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

That's not a Skoda…

This is a "Real" Skoda….

And yes, I had an Estelle 120 lse, years ago, and it wasn't nearly as bad as you'd imagine…..

plop_pants
    Free Member

I quite like that schrickvr6! Think I might be changing my mind.

convert

Hey – it could be worse…

My Grandad died just before my 17th birthday and I inherited his car.

I genuinely had to remove the tartan picnic blanket from the parcel shelf. To be fair though, I gave it some grief for 4 years and it never missed a beat. Not a looker though (strangely better now, 20yrs on than at the time)- a classic MGB roadster I replaced it with might have been a bit of a knobs car but considerably more impressive to pop round the prospective girlfriend's in.

bullheart
    Free Member

Fabia 1.9TDi. Probably the best car I've ever owned.

I'm afraid I don't subscribe to the whole image thing. Presumably you still wear Ralph Lauren shirts?

porterclough
    Free Member

Surely when you're 19 any car is a good car?

He's probably too young to remember the Skoda jokes from the 80s anyway.

Shandy
    Free Member

Great first car. Reliable, safe, and not too quick. My first car was an Ibiza 1.4 and I still managed to get through the front tyres in about 7500 miles. 😆

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Fabia 1.9TDi. Probably the best car I've ever owned.

snap – it can be a bit of a BMW scarer too!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Pipe and slippers anyone?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

give him a break let him have it – sensible lad there

I used to always choose "sleeper" type cars ie the ones that everyone thought was sheite – I had 3 peugeot 405's a GRi which was a rocketship and had tons of room for mates etc

PJ266
    Free Member

I have a Skoda Felicia estate. Im 19. Its amazing, three bikes and three people in it, cheap to run and no ones gonna steal it! I have a fully restored classic mini in the garage for summer fun too 😀 A friend has a fabia vrs, says its amazing. Go for it.

Del

hired a 1.4 petrol a few years ago when teh audi was in dry dock. put 500 miles on it in a couple of days, and came away very impressed. classic vw handling, nippy, well built.
    i'd buy one.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

The wife has got an old man green one, 1.4 16v comfort. She wanted a VW Polo and we saw the Fabia and for £2.5k it had done 52,000 miles came with power steering, air con, electric windows, CD Player we couldn't not buy it and that was 3 years ago. It certainly doesn't hang about either. When I drive it I always think 'wife bimbles about in this I think it needs a bit of clearing out' and give it a good hammering and it's good fun. Normally when the wife drives it the average MPG is 40+ which I think is pretty good too.

Dudie
    Free Member

Wife's got a Fabia VRS. Bloody brilliant car.

pennine
    Free Member

I bought a Fabia 1.2 to keep the insurance costs down for my son and daughter. They're grateful to have a car to drive than moan about driving a Skoda.

I wonder if the op has looked up insurance costs for teenagers yet? 😥

samuri
    Free Member

It's a polo, always the first choice of car when I was a lad.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

If your son isn't bothered about it why are you? They are cracking little cars and far more sensible that most first choices. Would you prefer him to be in an ancient car with the crash safety of a packet of Pringles so you don't have to go along with a stereotype that's at least 10 years out of date? And his mates won't care, they will just want lifts everywhere.

And yes I have a Skoda. Same engine as a Golf GTI, but faster in a straight line, much bigger and significantly better equipped. And £5k cheaper.

ddmonkey

Yup sensible lad. My first car was a Ford Cortina Estate. I've no idea what I was thinking.

plop_pants
    Free Member

pennine, I've done nothing but! Seriously though I'm pleased he has
    chosen the Fabia. It's no more to insure than some smaller engined cars, and has enough oomph for easier(safer?) motorway driving. Most importantly he can get a drum kit in it!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No shame in his choice. Fair dues to him. You should be pleased he's being so sensible.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Fantastic cars, Octavia defo a better car than a Passat,cannot go far wrong with a Skoda Fabia,better warrenty on a Skoda aswell.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Noooo, my son wants a Skoda Fabia, oh the shame!’ is closed to new replies.