Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Noob questions: Switching brake cables
  • Edraket
    Free Member

Haha you guys must think I'm an absolute noob. I got an ex rental from the hub in Glentress yesterday and the brake cables are wrong. (front brake on the right…urgh)
    Now I've never owned a bike with disk brakes before. (If its any consolation I used to be an expert class XC racer back in the day when V-brakes were the new exciting thing. Now I'm back after a bit of an errr… hiatus)My hunch would be to screw the cables out of the levers, switch, and screw them back in. But I don't want to mess up my brakes so I thought I'd ask the experts…

Cheers guys, hope you can help.
    I'll probably pester you with more stuff.

Eddy

wwaswas

"the brake cables are wrong"

well, they're right for most UK riders…

If you're near Glentress might be best to ask them to do it as the brakes may need a bleed afterwards (I assume they're hysraulic disks?).

if you say what make/model they are you might get more specific advice.

Edraket
    Free Member

Sorry, didn't mean to insult you. I am indeed a Euro rider and was trying to be funny. Obviously failed at that.

As I said, they are disks. Failed to mention they are Deore. Didn't know the make has that much influence on switching cables around.
    When I rented the bike before they changed them for me in like… 30 seconds. So I figured it must be a simple procedure.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

some shimano brakes the levers are identical so all you need to do is unbolt the levers from the handlebars and swap them. I am fairly sure the brakes on the genesis are like this

Some the levers are sided – so then you need to swap the hoses over – which will probably require a bleed and maybe some new fittings.

AdeC
    Free Member

simple way: swap the brake levers over
    hard way: drain the brakes, remove the cables, then re-cable them the way you want them.

If your not confident with the latter, then take it to the bike shop.

Oh and if you ever lend your bike to someone, make sure you mention that the brakes are euro stylie.

I still have some scars from a rather amusing french mountain bike front brake/left hand clamity

Edraket
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Yeah the brake levers are switchable. Thanks! Didn't think about that one at all.

I can see that I'll need to properly educate myself on how to service hydraulic disks. I prefer to do these things myself though.

I did the black route with the brakes UK style and I can tell you it took a bit of the fun out of it. Only a bit.;) Riding it back to Edinburgh afterwards was also a "great experience".
    I'll need to make friends with cars. 😉

thanks a lot guys!
    Eddy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Eddy – you should join in with some of the TBC bikes rides if you are edinburgh based – one tonight

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Noob questions: Switching brake cables’ is closed to new replies.