Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Noob question – SRAM cranks and bottom brackets
  • nickbarthram
    Free Member

Hey all

Apologies for what may seem a noob question… I have a Whyte 901 which came with SRAM/Truvativ GXP cranks and BB. A plastic shim in the BB has gone which seems to have written off the whole BB. Do I need to buy another SRAM GXP BB, or will other brands BBs be compatible with the SRAM crankset?

Thanks very much

Nick

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

SRAM Gigapipe BB’s are around £25 – I know that wasnt your question, but it might be useful to know.

What exactly was the “plastic shim” – quite likely someone on here will have a spare that they can send you.

nickbarthram
    Free Member

Thanks for info. The plastic shim is like a top-hat with the top missing and it’s on the spindle which attaches to the drive arm. Seems nuts that such a load bearing bit is made out of soft plastic.

I’m not the first to have this problem: http://bit.ly/YEQsuC

If anyone knew where I could get a new plastic bit that would be great!

jekkyl

I think I might have a spare, when I had a BB go just one side after a crash, let me have look for you later.

jekkyl

does it have to be drive side specific? as I recal that bit I think it is, is the same on both sides.

nickbarthram
    Free Member

That would be fantastic if you do. Hate replacing whole BB for one shim!

jekkyl

nick, you’re emails not on your profile, but mine, drop me a mail and i’ll have a look later, may not be until early tomorrow as working late tonight.

nickbarthram
    Free Member

Jekkyl you’re a legend, part worked perfectly. If anyone picks up this thread in the future, all I needed was new plastic crown piece and all play was eradicated.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Noob question – SRAM cranks and bottom brackets’ is closed to new replies.