Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Nonsense words
  • onehundredthidiot

Had a little lighthearted discussion with local council.

Apparently they are expecting cold weather and so are presalting the roads. Presalting is when they pretreat the road.

Or as I tried to point out they are salting the road and they are going to treat it with salt.

If they do it after the frost are they going to posttreat it?

Is it just them trying to ring-fence the unicorn?

faustus

Just useless tautology, like ‘pre-warn’.

jruk
    Free Member

Curate
    Reach out
    Disrupt
    Very (etc.) unique

Let’s go and amplify the low hanging unicorn!

wombat

See also – pre-order. Do you mean order? It doesn’t make any difference if the item has been made/published/written/built yet, the word is order.

Also, to anyone in financial services who insists on pretending that a service such as a bank account or investment is a product. It is a service; what you are offering to do is look after my money for me so it is a service.

wwaswas

alt-right

Just call them authoritarian white supremacists and have done with it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It just signifies they’re treating the roads before the frost rather than after – proactive rather than reactive treatment.

Maybe the ‘post-treatment’ could be them hosing away all the salt in Spring, but I fear that’s just a dream and I’ll always wash my car too soon in March and it’ll be ruined before I get to the end of the road again.

P-Jay
    Free Member

“Monies” though, I hate that one. It always used to make me cringe when I worked in Banking, it was always some **** trying to act like Gordon Gecko because they’re buying a BTL “Oh I’ll have to get my Monies in order for the deposit” or some nonsense.

My Daughter says she has “monies” when she’s holding more than a single coin, but she’s 2, not a 20 something “property magnate” or “arsehole” as they’re called in the trade.

faustus

But ‘salting’ is understood already as a preventative measure so doesn’t need a useless prefix.’Presalting’ is a word some bod in the council has made up to sound more professional, whilst achieving the opposite.

jruk
    Free Member

I forgot ‘ecosystem’ when referring to an industry or sector.

Spend time working in FinTech and your head will explode with all the bull$hit 😉

maccruiskeen

But ‘salting’ is understood already as a preventative measure so doesn’t need a useless prefix.

Its any sort of measure – preventative, reactive or restorative – in the sense that the council can go out with a gritter because snow is forecast, or because it is actually snowing (whether forecast or not) or because it has snowed and the roads now need to be cleared. Thats three different decisions, the action in all three cases is the same- sprinkle salt – but its 3 different strategies and three different outcomes.

Being able to make that distinction with 3 letters and have everyone know what you mean seems pretty economical

nairnster
    Free Member

Have to remember that next time I get caught pre-pissing in a shop doorway by the police.

onehundredthidiot

“Road temperatures will drop below freezing tonight. We’ve been presalting since 3pm and will check routes from 6am, but please take care.”

Dropping the pre makes no difference. In fact given the “we’ve been” it would make more sense. Just an extension of corporate speak.

maccruiskeen

Dropping the pre makes no difference

Adding it doesn’t create nonsense either.

I think the Campaign for Plain English can find bigger fish to fry 🙂

onehundredthidiot

If I go into pre-op I’m being prepared for an operation. They’re not preparing it for salting. They’re salting.

I’ve had discussion with several higher ups in my job over the past few weeks where I’ve asked them to explain words and phrases. Not because I don’t know what they mean nut because they make absolutely no sense in the context used. Interestingly the phrase was just repeated but slower and louder.

maccruiskeen

You should see to it personally that someone gets sacked

I’ve had discussion with several higher ups in my job over the past few weeks where I’ve asked them to explain words and phrases

Was ‘Presalting’ one of them – I can type my earlier post slower in caps if it helps 🙂

Perhaps ‘onehundredth’ is redundant of that the case 😆 We don’t need to know about the other 99.

neilthewheel

Many of those terrorist attacks have been pre-planned, you know.
    Some have been pre-prepared.

onehundredthidiot

Now I’m just preoffended.

maccruiskeen

Wrong forum BTW 🙂

nairnster
    Free Member

Did I come into this thread too early?

JoeG
    Free Member

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation uses salt brine to pretreat their roads here in the USA… 🙂

They also “prewet” the salt sometimes… 😈

The terminology makes sense to me the way that they use it.

http://www.penndot.gov/TravelInPA/Documents/FINAL%20Storm%20Tactic%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

onehundredthidiot

Fine with prewet. It’s an action you do before wetting. Works best if what you’re wetting is hydrophobic it helps the interaction of the high surface tension of water and the dry solid.

ajr
    Free Member

The American’s have a bad habit of putting( ality )on the end of so many words.

maccruiskeen

Ready Salted?

slackboy

pre-pissing

Thats letting a bit out before you get your zip down

Did I come into this thread too early?

Pre-Entry?

jca

When in the US recently the news stations were all reporting the death of the ‘most winningest’ basketball coach…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ajr – Member
    The American’s have a bad habit of putting( ality )on the end of so many words.

Catapostrophe.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Nonsense words’ is closed to new replies.