Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • None Premier Mag Subscribers- feel short changed at half length mag articles ?
  • scruff
    Free Member

This premier thing is getting on my teets. I pay for the mag sub, have done for years. You print an interview I would like to read but don’t print half of it, I then need to get into premier hierarchy to read the rest of it. Frankly, all the premier stuff is yanking my t1ts and (first time I’ve said this) I’m thinking of cancelling my subscription if I’m not getting what I pay for i.e. full length articles. Ok so it may be long but it was obviously just cut in half, no editing, just read the first bit and cough up more money or fluck off. What a load of sheet, STW, you are taking the piece.

toons
    Free Member

All you need to do is ring up, change to premier member for free or am I missing something?

Baldysquirt

Premier content for current subscribers is free – so just a quick phone call to align your subs and your online user profile and you're away.

I do agree that perhaps the interview could have been edited better for those that don't wish to go online, but it would have been half the mag if it was printed in full.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

as above, it's in all the premier info bits – subscribers phone up and they link your sub account to your online account giving you premier access across the board…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Methinks someone went on a rantathon before checking their facts!

scruff
    Free Member

OK maybe. I was reading it in bed last night and was a bit cross.

miketually
    Free Member

Half the stuff from interviews is always left out, otherwise the mag would be too big. The Premier Members (which is free) get to see the stuff that wouldn't otherwise have fit.

snakebite
    Free Member

half the article, you only got half your facts correct, rantker.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I kind of see where you're coming from scruff. Even though it's free to upgrade I can't really be arsed to either call up to link accounts nor do I want to read the 'other half' of an interview online. That larsen interview is the only thing I've read in the mag so far and it just didn't really go anywhere.

Are we now in a situation with the mag where artciles aren't edited because you can read the rest online?

To be honest as I got to the end of the interview and it said 'read the rest online', it occured to me that it would be easier for me to cancel my subs than make a call to link to something I don't want or need. I buy a magazine because thats what I want to read, I don't want to be 'forced' to read the rest of an article on a computer.

Stu_N

It took nearly 2 minutes of my time to phone Sarah and link up my login and subs.

The only possible hassle is if you have given yourself a stupid forum name and you're embarassed to read it out over the phone, in which case it serves you right.

singletrackmatt

Gary _M Before the internet or at least the new mediums to add content the Nick Larsen interview would have been just as it was I.E edited to the length it was. That doesn't mean that there wasn't stuff it the rest of the interview that wasn't worth reading it's just we have to make an editorial decision when it comes to the mag. The extra in this case is for people who want an even more in- depth interview.

Cheers

Matt

singletrackmatt

And LOL at Fat Elvis!

Speshpaul

What Gary_M said.
    I subscribe to the mag because i want that glossy mag. A real product, i spend long enough looking at screen as it is.
    Personelly i can't see any advantage is in extra/continued on line content, if its good enough to put in the mag then it should be in there.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Personelly i can't see any advantage is in extra/continued on line content

It's to get people to use the online stuff more. Simples.

miketually
    Free Member

Personelly i can't see any advantage is in extra/continued on line content, if its good enough to put in the mag then it should be in there.

And which article would you have had them leave out to fit in the whole interview?

The videos on the long term testers would be shit in the magazine I reckon 😉

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Even though it's free to upgrade I can't really be arsed to either call up to link accounts

Yep, same here. That and I haven't a clue what my sub account number or whatever is. I am a lazy sod though.

Stu_N

But if it's not good enough to go in the mag, or there is more than the ADHD generation will read – for me more than about 4 pages of text is a bit much for a mag article and i don't think I am that bad – then why not put it online where people can read it if they want instead of not publishing it at all?

scruff
    Free Member

Hmm. I've decided to retract my retraction.

miketually
    Free Member

It's extra stuff, for free.

🙄

Mark

Speshpaul… The interview was almost 6000 words of transcribed text! Which is not unusual at all for an Interview.. We can't put it all in the mag. It would take up 12 pages! We had an interview special in the summer, which by all accounts was not entirely popular. The mag will always be the place where the cream of the content is published! The Premier system is the Extra Features you get on a DVD.. but for the mag. It's an EXTRA… No one is being shortchanged.. Existing subscribers happy with just getting the mag will continue to get the best bits, edited, and published in print.

If you are a subscriber already and want to read the extra stuff online then just give Sarah a call.. Actually, since things are running a little smoother you can also email her sarah@singletrackworld.com

Stu_N

Heathenwoods, you don't need to know your subs number. Sarah can find that from your postcode – you do know that don't you?

Gary_M
    Free Member

It's not about fitting in the whole interview, it's about editing what is there so it actually leads somewhere.

And as above I don't want to sit at home reading interviews on line and no matter how many minutes it takes to register then I still can't be bothered.

Why anyone has to make an old fashioned phone call to activate something on line is crazy. Surely sendi ng an e-mail would make more sense.

atlaz
    Free Member

Mark – I guess the crux of the matter is that Gary feels that the interview was poorly edited. I haven't got the mag yet so I can't comment.

Mark

Yep, same here. That and I haven't a clue what my sub account number or whatever is. I am a lazy sod though.

If you can remember where you live and can read the username next to your post then you will be fine.. pressing the buttons on the phone you will have to do all by yourself… sorry

🙂

Stu_N

Why anyone has to make an old fashioned phone call to activate something on line is crazy. Surely sendi ng an e-mail would make more sense.

People on Forums Scared of Real Human Contact Shocker

Mark

Why anyone has to make an old fashioned phone call to activate something on line is crazy. Surely sending an e-mail would make more sense.

The reason for that is simple.. Online all we have is your username and email address. That's it. The email addresses used here don;t always correspond to the ones in our print subs database.. In fact not every subscriber has provided us with an email address anyway.. So in order to give you this free extra content (we have also reduced the cost of our print subscriptions slightly too due to cost savings we've managed to make this year) we need your help in telling us which is your account on here.

We could email all subscribers who have provided us with an email address but then you'd still have to reply to it and give us your account details before we could join up your subs and website accounts. We could make guesses and assumptions from email addresses but I think that would be a really good way to cock up personal information, which we aren't happy to do.. ergo.. we speak on the phone and we can confirm both accounts and join them up.

Are we really arguing about us providing extra content for free? 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don't think anyone is arguing, it’s a forum and I’m putting my point across. I’m not looking for an argument about something I’ll never use. I understand to a certain level where the op is coming from, that’s all. I don’t feel aggrieved about it, even if there was any reason to be, because I’m not interested enough.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

If you can remember where you live and can read the username next to your post then you will be fine.. pressing the buttons on the phone you will have to do all by yourself… sorry

Crap. I'll have to wait for my missus to get home then…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are we really arguing about us providing extra content for free?

Mark, some people would argue with their own shadows if it made a good thread…… 😉

Mark

I'm open to hearing arguments for and against.. Argument/debate.. it's all good if it leads to a better conclusion 🙂

D0NK

The only possible hassle is if you have given yourself a stupid forum name and you're embarassed to read it out over the phone, in which case it serves you right.

Ahem.

Don't see a problem with it myself, assuming the mag is edited as it always was. I'd guess there's quite a few folk who read the mag but have nothing to do with STW so it wouldn't make sense to just stick the first half of a feature in the mag and put the rest online (as some of the more cynical forum members seem to think will happen)

Speshpaul

"Are we really arguing" No Mark arguing with you, what would be the point in that.

"PeterPoddy – Member
    Personelly i can't see any advantage is in extra/continued on line content
    It's to get people to use the online stuff more. Simples."

So what would the advantage for me then?

I still don't get the point, most of whats now premium was on line before, its just moved about abit. Change for the sake of it, like the £ signs on the classifieds, why?

"for me more than about 4 pages of text is a bit much for a mag article "
    Yeap being that disabled you could get a blue badge for your car.

any way not to worry

clubber
    Free Member

Well, I've emailed Sarah asking for it to be set up 😉

st

I'll have a read of the hartickle tonight. I'm all for additional content online for those that can be arsed to read it or who prefer to deal with things that way.

Me, I like to have a magazine handy to read for 5 minutes over breakfast, when there is sheet on telly etc rather than look at computer screen.

If the magazine articles are presented as usual with the premier content being more indepth of certain topics or even dealign with additional stuff that's good as long as the paper article is still up to scratch.

scruff
    Free Member

as long as the paper article is still up to scratch.

Well, I think my point is that I feel the interview wasn't. It was just half an unedited interview.

Mark

The paper world and the internet are going to become much more closely related in all aspects of publishing. The simple fact is fewer and fewer people are buying paper magazines. At least the mag market is not yet in the state the newspaper industry is in. They are being utterly destroyed commercially at the moment and the signs are it's not a just a recession thing but a complete change in the way the public at large are now getting and expecting to get their regular fix of news and special interest content.

We are making the move now. Others will follow. Those that don't will fail. That's my prediction. The important thing we are being very careful to maintain is the quality of the magazine. We don't always get it right but our focus is still on maintaining the status quo with the printed mag. The extra content is exactly that.. Extra.. It's more work for us, not the same work spread more thinly. But I guess it's ultimately you the readers that will guide us in the right direction.

There will always be people who won;t ever be interested in reading ANY magazine content of any type online. For those people we will continue to produce the printed magazine.. business as usual.
    For the rest of the readership who are interested in reading more or even the largest growing segment of the readership who are not bothered about print at all, there is the online extra features and the digital version of the mag, including the mag archive of all back issues.

I promise you that we are working harder than ever to crank out all this content and we are not just trying to repackage what we already do and spread it about a bit. If we get it right we will have more mag readers of all formats. If we get it wrong.. er we won't 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

We are making the move now. Others will follow. Those that don't will fail. That's my prediction.

I'm not in the journalism/publishing business, but this is entirely the correct approach.

As I see it: printing a magazing of X pages costs Y. If you put full length interviews in, it will cost Y + Z, which either the publisher swallows (making profit smaller) or the consumer has to swallow. Whereas, online publishing is cheaper, and more capable of relfecting the speeding up of time that online informaiton has given us.

The market will likely split twofold – occasional publicaitons like Rouleur or The Ride Journal, where the value is in it being printed, and magazines where the print medium will serve as a gateway to the wider and more rapidly updated content of the online offering.

I think you have taken an innovative approach, and I like it.

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh what number do I ring?

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Speshpaul – Change for the sake of it, like the £ signs on the classifieds, why?

That's so when you look at someone's forum history it's easy to identify if they only use the classifieds.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I am sure you could have set up a form with a way of identifying a user that is a subscriber surely a subscriber number from the card is all you need?

I just emails Sarah so I hope it all goes well. I cant really ring at work as I am in an open office. and when I get home I would hope Sarah was not working.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘None Premier Mag Subscribers- feel short changed at half length mag articles ?’ is closed to new replies.