Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Non tubeless tyres ….will they work tubeless on tubeless rims
  • maxsatnav
    Free Member

OK im sure its been done before

but will maxxis advantage tyres (non tubeless) work if i fit them as tubeless on a stans flow tubless rim with rim tape and sealant

neilwheel
    Free Member

Not the best choice in my opinion, a bit too lightweight.

soobalias
    Free Member

define work.

they ‘will’ go up
    they will use more sealant to stay up
    the sidewalls will be vulnerable – i ripped the sidewall on an ADvantage BUT it was running v low pressure and i slammed the rim hard enough to dink it (819)

if you already have all the kit, give it a go. if you are about to buy, i would rethink

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Been running the advantage tubeless for years on arch rims and 717s with rim strips. Never had a problem yet with the side walls although I don’t run very low pressures (30 to 35psi)

mudmonster
    Free Member

Managed to do it with a Panaracer trailraker 2.1 on a flow rim (a lot of air came out of the sidewalls before sealing). Just back from the Alps and was using a High roller on an Arch for 2 weeks, never lost any pressure. Once had a Hutchinson cobra blow off the rim going downhill though. Not gonna use them tubeless anymore.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

cheers might give it a go its only for a bit of local loop stuff so nothng serious and wil be on 35psi so all seems ok if i keep on higher pressures

dvatcmark
    Free Member

If it’s a brand new tyre I’d recommend putting a tube in it over night to ‘stretch’ the tyre and get rid of any creases on the bead before trying it tubeless.

Northwind

The big difference is just that you lose certainty- I’ve only ever had a couple of tyres that didn’t at least go up, and past that only a couple that weren’t decent at it. Mostly Schwalbe! Maxxis can be a wee bit flaky in terms of fit and sidewall, Conti are often hard to seal. Kenda a bit delicate of sidewall but that’s by design, it’s what makes them light.

I think I’m mostly on tubeless ready now but I still reckon you can get into non-TLR tyres on the basis that it’ll probably be fine.

scotroutes

+1

I had a pair of “identical” non-tubeless Nobby Nics on Stans 355 rims. The front was fine but the rear needed to be pumped up every few days.

lornholio
    Free Member

I’ve had 65 days in Chamonix last summer and about 40 this summer with two sets non-tubeless Minion EXOs on old Flows. No issues at all, except a few cuts to the rear tyre between the knobs last summer when the sealant got me home carefully and then took a patch repair on the inside each time with no further problems. DH dual ply are about 350g heavier per tyre, not worth it for me.

br
    Free Member

Yes, but if they are old tyres they could already have loads of holes so may be a pain.

chum3
    Free Member

Most probably… Ran standard Ads on Crests for a good couple years with no issues at 23-28 psi. Got them inflated first time with a track pump and rode them loads around Wales. I weight about 72kg…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Maxxis from my experience and what I’ve seen and heard generally seem to work well tubeless if they are non tubeless.

Just as said it takes more sealant to be more confident it will stay up.

If you are going to do anything aggressive on flinty kind of stuff, I’d get the EXO version for tougher side walls.

Or you could get the tubeless ready variant, though not sure if they are actually any different or they’re just the regular ones but they are now certified for tubeless ready.

UST is full tubeless but they’re heavy and not really required now given the ability of modern rims plus sealant to hold onto tyres. Some argue stuff like Stans rims are better designed for non tubeless tyres than using UST rims, though I’m running non tubeless on UST Iodines with no problems at all.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Non tubeless tyres ….will they work tubeless on tubeless rims’ is closed to new replies.