Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Non-tracking alternative to Google – Duck Duck Go…
  • brooess
    Free Member

Duck Duck Go

Privacy

Personally I think such a weird name is a silly idea but I’ve trialled a few searches and it seems pretty good to me. I suspect the privacy angle could well be quite attractive to a lot of people. I remember someone here posting recently about Google apparently tracking them from PC to tablet – serving ads on one device based on search they’d made on another, which seems a bit creepy…

Anyone think they’ll start using this?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Try google in Incognito for privacy, if you log into your google account then search history travels with you. You can turn this off.

soobalias
    Free Member

been using DDG for majority of searches – its pretty good, couple of tweaks to your search queries might be required to get the results you are expecting.

add “Ghostery”, to see and block, what is tracking you!

nealglover
    Free Member

Can’t see an issue with privacy personally and I like google.

No ads is the ideal, but if they are providing a service to me for free, and earn money from ads…..
    Then if the ads that they show me are relevant to what I search for and want then that’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Similarly Startpage offering the “benefit” of Google results – not sure why Google lets this happen

oldnpastit

Can’t see an issue with privacy personally and I like google.

The amount of money that Google make from tracking people and serving them ads is simply astounding. I’m not totally sure I’m happy with a private corporation having that much wealth and power.

Of course, they don’t do evil, so it’s not really a problem.

legend
    Free Member

So if I make sure that I’m not tracked, does this just mean I’d get a random selection of ads that are even less likely to be of interest or relevant? Not sure that’d be an improvement

oldnpastit

So if I make sure that I’m not tracked, does this just mean I’d get a random selection of ads that are even less likely to be of interest or relevant? Not sure that’d be an improvement

It will mean that you will stay off the grid, and so when the machines rise up against us, you will have a small chance of escaping the ensuing holocaust to a nuclear bunker somewhere. Good luck. The future of humanity rests on your search engine choice….

legend
    Free Member

You had me at “off the grid” 🙂

GrahamS

One thing about Google is that it uses your Search History and interests to tailor your search results

(e.g. as a frequenter of Singletrack you’ll be more likely to see Singletrack show up in the search results. And if you search for “on one” it knows you are more likely to be asking about the bike brand than the book or TV series)

Personally I think that’s quite handy.

molgrips
    Free Member

If people want to pay to put ads in parts of the screen at which I do not look, in return for providing me frankly amazing services without charge to me, then I’m fine with that.

I don’t really care if they log what I’ve searched for. And if I log in on a different device, then of course it’s me, so of course the know that.

I don’t think they can tell if it’s you if you don’t log in to their service, can they?

phil.w
    Free Member

It’s not just Google that tracks you from one site to another and serves ad’s accordingly.

Many retailers serve you ad’s on third party sites based on what you view but do not purchase on their own site. This has nothing to do with your choice of search engine.

+1

I don’t think they can tell if it’s you if you don’t log in to their service, can they?

There’s a certain amount of tracking based on IP address not logged in account. But obviously that can’t differentiate between different users of said machine.

nickjb
    Free Member

Google robots are reading this page and recording your names

brooess
    Free Member

I’m also interested in the point DDG make about Google serving up results tailored to you, which means right wingers get right wing news sites and left wingers get left wing news sites, in response to the same search.
    That’s polarising and likely to lead to entrenchment/extremism rather than debate. Without realising it, people who use Google as their main source of information will be Ghetto-ising themselves.
    It;s a slightly false picture as I suspect few people use Google search as their sole source of news – more likely go to new sites they already know and agree with (and physical newspapers). But still not sure that’s healthy in a democracy

DezB
    Free Member

And what do people think they do with all this “logged” data?
    Have a read through? 😆

After reading above post, have decided this is not a thread I should carry on with. I just don’t get that. Or care!

phil.w
    Free Member

right wingers get right wing news sites and left wingers get left wing news sites, in response to the same search. That’s polarising and likely to lead to entrenchment/extremism rather than debate. Without realising it, people who use Google as their main source of information will be Ghetto-ising themselves.

And print newspapers/books etc are well known for their neutral stance on issues?

shermer75
    Free Member

Ok, ‘Duck Duck Go’ is now my default search lozenge in the top right hand corner of my brower (Firefox). Hopefully it’s not part of some sinister Chinese cyber-hack!!

leffeboy

more likely go to new sites they already know and agree with

I think that even news sites show you other stories based on what you previously linked at on their sites. Given the amount of info. out there then showing you search results that you are likely to be interested in might not be such a bad idea but it any case it is always interesting to drop into incognito mode or use a different browser to see what else comes up 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

The amount of money that Google make from tracking people and serving them ads is simply astounding.

they are great at what they do, hats off to them for making money while doing it i say.

I’m not totally sure I’m happy with a private corporation having that much wealth and power.

I couldn’t care less personally.

If people want to pay to put ads in parts of the screen at which I do not look, in return for providing me frankly amazing services without charge to me, then I’m fine with that.

Absolutely spot on.

More brilliant, and free, Google services please.

And if adverts pay for them then they are better off being relevant, so tracking is fine too.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Been meaning to switch to using DDG, this thread has convinced me. Of course anyone that concerned about google stalking them can use a bot to feed google false results, which seems more effective than finding honest companies that won’t try to generate money from personal info.

[/tin hat]

wordnumb
    Free Member

I couldn’t care less personally.

That’s cool, but do you accept that different people lead different lives and some will have good, legitimate reasons to want to opt out of strangers having access to their online history and geographical location, purchases, applications etc?

GrahamS

By the way, surely using DDG only addresses search results which is a very small part of the issue?

Any page showing Google Ad Words or other advert from Google, can and most probably will track you. Likewise any page using other Google components (embedded Google maps and youtube, Google+, site search, calendar, google scripts, etc etc)

(see also: Facebook)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me no care about the adverts, I don’t click on em so they can do what they like in exchange I’ll continue using google, they is brilliant like.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s cool, but do you accept that different people lead different lives and some will have good, legitimate reasons to want to opt out of strangers having access to their online history and geographical location, purchases, applications etc?

Can you not disable cookies?

And I am curious as to what those legitimate reasons are, but I guess you ought not tell me!

Cougar

<mod>

Before I have to delete any more posts from this thread, could I ask that you all take a moment to review STW policy on advertisement blocking and promotion thereof?

Ta.

</mod>

wordnumb
    Free Member

Ha, the T&Cs actually have a Kylie clause.

Mark

Google’s targeting by use of cookies etc. allows more relevant ads to be displayed on our site. This means they get more clicks, because they are targeted to the users of the website and their interests. I cannot for the life of me think of why this is not a good thing for the user. It’s certainly better for us as it means the price we get for those ads is increased due their increased effectiveness.

If you think ads are annoying then think how much more annoying they’d be if they were ALL for Wonga or Go Compare?

Using web technology to do this is not a bad thing.

Drac

If you think ads are annoying then think how much more annoying they’d be if they were ALL for Wonga or Go Compare?

What do you mean if?

leffeboy

As a charity we use Google AdWords and we get more traffic through that than straight ‘organic’ search even though we rank highly on all the stuff we want to. In general folks who come through AdWords are only a little less likely to give to us after visiting our site as the organic search folks. The point then is that AdWords does appear to do a good job of finding people who are genuinely interested in what we do. It’s magic really

footflaps

What do you mean if?

Perhaps they default to those type when they can’t track you eg if you run Ghostery etc.

legend
    Free Member

Google’s targeting by use of cookies etc. allows more relevant ads to be displayed on our site.

T-shirt girls ftw!

wordnumb
    Free Member

…such a weird name is a silly idea…

I’ll be using DuckDuckGo as a transitive verb all week.

leffeboy

T-shirt girls ftw!

There’s a reason you’re seeing those ads you know 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

That’s cool, but do you accept that different people lead different lives

yup. I agree with that.

and some will have good, legitimate reasons to want to opt out of strangers having access to their online history and geographical location, purchases, applications etc?

Can’t really think of any to be honest.

There may be some, but I’m not sure if they will be “Good” and “Legitimate”

I’m happy to be enlightened though. Genuinely interested.

legend
    Free Member

That time I bought a t-shirt from CRC??

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m happy to be enlightened though. Genuinely interested

Nobody ?

CountZero

Well, I’m often doing searches for interesting stuff that I’ve seen on telly, that might well trigger unwarranted interest from certain agencies. Searching for info on explosives or poisons out of nothing but pure curiosity could bite me in the ass!
    For everything else, I’m perfectly happy using Google and Fb.
    Well, except for pr0n, of course… 😉

midlifecrashes

I’m amused by the fact that the OP is vexed about using DuckDuckGo on the basis of the silly name but has been unconcerned about using Google?

aP
    Free Member

I can remember suggesting that my then boss use this new search engine called google at some point around 98. He went off on this mad rant about how anything with such a stupid name must only appeal to imbeciles and that he’d stay using AskJeeves instead. I ask you….
    Of course, within a year everything he did for Internet searches was via google.

GrahamS

Well, I’m often doing searches for interesting stuff that I’ve seen on telly, that might well trigger unwarranted interest from certain agencies. Searching for info on explosives or poisons out of nothing but pure curiosity could bite me in the ass!

Using Google for this won’t make any difference. Said agencies don’t just hang around Google data centers looking for dodgy search terms. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Non-tracking alternative to Google – Duck Duck Go…’ is closed to new replies.