Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Non-Thomson 27.2 seatpost
  • vorlich
    Free Member

My Thomson is getting a bit tatty. Fairly deep scores from constant dropping of saddle. I actually managed to take a chunk out it on my first ride when it slipped. So, I’m not convinced by the Thomson hype ,but to be fair, it hasn’t bent like the EA50 it replaced.

So I’m thinking about a replacement 400mm post, the Sunline V1 looks quite good and would match my bars, CRC have them cheap. What else should I be looking at, that looks good and will hopefully last? FWIW, I’m 15st.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have one for sale, its a Syntace P6. Please buy it off me, then I can afford some bread and butter in the morning for breakfast.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I used to have a Nukeproof Warhead. The height markings on the back of the post fell off the first time I farted when riding but other than that it was spot on, no creaks, bends or deep scratches. I’m regretting selling it now and would buy another tomorrow. FWIW I’m heavier than you !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope Eternity

vorlich
    Free Member

Is the eternity ribbed for pleasure like the Thomson?

eyerideit
    Free Member

How about USE Alien or Sumo, they make brilliant seat posts and have done for years.

The Sumo post is lighter and nicer looking (in my opinion) than the Eternity.

I’ve had USE posts since the mid 90’s and always found them great plus their customer service is as good as Hopes in my experience.

smiff
    Free Member

do you like a ribbed post, vorlich ❓

maybe you should look at a dropper, if you do a lot of dropping. 100kg doesn’t sound impossible.

IanW
    Free Member

On one twelty or whatever, weighs less than a Easton carbon and comes in fancy colours. whats not to like?

br
    Free Member

SDG I-Beam

Northwind

Nukeproof Warhead is very Thomsonny.

faz083
    Free Member

How about USE Alien or Sumo, they make brilliant seat posts and have done for years.

The Sumo post is lighter and nicer looking (in my opinion) than the Eternity.

I’ve had USE posts since the mid 90’s and always found them great plus their customer service is as good as Hopes in my experience.

Second this, got two Sumos , carbon and alu, both are beautifully made and look incredible, the clamp is extremely efficient as well (single bolt design). Additionally, UK based office (and by office I mean about 2 different people pick up the phone) means great customer service.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope is ribbed 🙂

cp

On one twelfty – I have 3 and no probs with any of them over several years.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have just broke part of the clamp ion my titanium USE post, which was doing duty on my road bike.

I have put a carbon post on now and notice how much less comfortable the post it (even though it does move a bit) – the USE post was nicely springy.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Twelfty. Long term Thomson user but decided to have a change this time around when I built up my Curtis S1 and for the price, I thought ‘why the hell not’. Haven’t regretted it. Its a decent weight, a brilliant price, looks ok and holds my seat where I want it.

benman
    Free Member

Controltech posts are pretty nice. Most hardwearing post that I’ve had, and quality is lovely.

vorlich
    Free Member

I have a USE Shokpost on my other bike which does look rather nice. Havn’t had it long enough to comment on the durability. They’re on the shortlist.

A dropper, I’m just not convincevd by at 27.2. I can absolutely see the value in one for the trails I ride. But I’m pretty sceptical of the durability at this diameter. And that’s before I even consider the aethetic of some of them 🙂

ads678

Hope Enternity in 27.2 is only 350mm length i think.

I’ve had a Ragley spike for the past year and a half, it switches between 2 bike and gets dropped a lot and the anodising and marking have lasted well. it does creak a little now but it has been bashed around a bit. Pretty cheap at around £20 too.

eshershore
    Free Member

My Thomson is getting a bit tatty. Fairly deep scores from constant dropping of saddle. I actually managed to take a chunk out it on my first ride when it slipped. So, I’m not convinced by the Thomson hype ,but to be fair, it hasn’t bent like the EA50 it replaced

try reaming your frame’s seat tube?

any seatpost will get damaged if the seat tube has been poorly finished in the factory, regardless of the choice of seatpost

we get brand new bikes turning up from all brands with poor reaming, and scratched seatposts “out the box”

Thomson easily have the toughest surface (hard ano) of pretty much any seatpost on the market, based on my experiences

vorlich
    Free Member

I don’t think there is a problem with the seat tube, as the Easton that preceded the Thomson wasn’t scored in the same way.

eyerideit
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    I have just broke part of the clamp ion my titanium USE post, which was doing duty on my road bike.

I have put a carbon post on now and notice how much less comfortable the post it (even though it does move a bit) – the USE post was nicely springy.

Have you rung USE? They might be able to fix it. I had a 20 year old shockpost which I tried to service. In short the service didn’t work so I rung USE and they asked me to send it in so they can look at it. It turned out they could do anything so they offered me a new post at trade. They really didn’t have to, but they did.

So they may be able to sort something out for your old post.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Non-Thomson 27.2 seatpost’ is closed to new replies.