Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Non-technical Peaks route advice……
  • Dekerf853

Hi, I’m taking a couple of relative MTB newcomers to the Peaks for the w-end, and looking for some non-technical and well drained(!) routes. Don’t mind climbing, but don’t want to take them round the only routes I know which all end in technical descents (Cave Dale, Pin Dale, Chapel Gate, Jacob’s Ladder etc.). Staying in Castleton, so routes based on the Hope valley or the reservoirs preferred.

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks.

BadlyWiredDog

Sort of. From Castleton you could climb up the Broken Road, then yomp along the top of Rushup, descend Chapel Gate – now smoothed out albeit with humungous drainage trenches, mind those – along the road past Edale, up the Jaggers Clough track to Hope Cross. Turn right towards Potato Ally, but fork left and climb up then down Hope Brinks towards Ashton, drop down to Hope, Cement Works road past the bottom of Pindale back to Castleton. Or you could go let at the top of that climb, through the forest, turn left at the fireroad and drop down to the reservoir track, follow that back, old railway line trail towards Hope, up through Ashton and back lanes back to Hope etc.

Or you could extend it in all sort of ways. Think about using technical(ish)descents as climbs as well, so maybe go up the Roman Road from the Hope end of things, down Jaggers, up Chapel Gate, along Rushup, down the Broken Road etc.

Or for real simple stuff, just ride all the way round the reservoirs at Ladybower, which is dull-ish for mountain bikers, but very non tech.

Remmeber, they can always walk stuff they’re unsure of and adding a bit of technicality will make it all feel more epic and memorable as long as they’re not out of their depth all day long.

Said the man who managed to half kill his oldest mate going over Jacob’s the other week, ooops :-/

Dekerf853

Sounds great, thanks BWD, I didn’t know Chapel Gate was re-surfaced, not been there for a while.

Any other suggestions?

Are there any similar good routes heading South into the White Peak?

Thanks.

flyingmonkeycorps

Could you start from near Fairholmes, ride round the bottom of the reservoir to the Ladybower Inn (all fireroads), over the bridge and across the dam then take the permissive bridleway up to the Roman Road (the bottom half is pretty much fireroad now, there’s a tricky section just after the gate halfway up). Follow the Roman Road, all the way along and down Blackley Hey, which isn’t too horrid if you use the cheeky singletrack at the top, then the bottom section whilst wet is fairly easy. Then up Rowlee Farm and down Lockerbrook, which isn’t tech at all if you go fast enough 😉

Or to cut it short, all the way round the res to Hagg Side car park, up the horrible climb then turn right and along to Lockerbrook…

Depending how newcomerish they are that might be a nice intro, not TOO challenging but like BWD says, adding a bit of tech will make it more exciting.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

they can always walk stuff they’re unsure of and adding a bit of technicality will make it all feel more epic and memorable as long as they’re not out of their depth all day long

+1

My missus came on a short ride around Castleton with me years ago. She hates climbing and is scared of downhills, but when we got to Cave Dale it was short enough to get off and push. Better that than cruising around easy peasy stuff, no?

The White Peak is generally much more beginner friendly but is not as well drained. There’s some good short and easy rides around Middleton/Grangemill that take in some of the old railway lines as well as some bridleways with a bit more technical interest. The hills aren’t quite as big either, which may count in your favour. How far from Castleton are you prepared to travel? There’s a lovely circuit from Bakewell that goes through Chatsworth Estate, has a decent amount of off-road that in places is steep but never too technical. It’s in the VG guidebook for the White Peak I think. Might be muddy too, just to add to the experience.

flyingmonkeycorps

Actually – we did a really nice route around Rowarth / Hayfield the other week, longish but nothing really tech, just great fun. Can’t remember the exact route, but I can dig it out for you if you like?

Dekerf853

Stilltortoise, thanks. I’ve got the Vertebrate guide, I’ll look that one up.

Flyingmonkey, that sounds good as well, if you could dig the route out that would be great.

Thanks to all for your support & ideas!

flyingmonkeycorps

This one, I think – I believe it’s also in the Dark Peak guidebook, in some form or other.

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/rowarth-route

Pook

bwd talks sense. chapel gate being smooth opens stuff up for you really.

crazy-legs

That Rowarth loop is OK but better if you start from Marple or New Mills and just do it directly, it misses out the big climb (push) of Twenty Trees but just goes out onto lovely easy-ish trails around Rowarth – we did it on Saturday, I was on my CX and it was almost all rideable. Surprisingly dry too given the recent rubbish weather. There are various versions of it which can be derived from the basic loop described in the Vertebrate Graphics Dark Peak guide book.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Non-technical Peaks route advice……’ is closed to new replies.