Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Non-Tapered steerer in Tapered Headtube??
  • inthehouse
    Free Member

Hi guys

Anyone running a non-tapered fork steerer in their tapered headtube,can you tell me what issues(if any)?,or just a no no?,if no probs?,what headsets should do the job?

Advice very much appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

bol

Hope do a nice little top hat for your steerer tube which makes it work fine with their tapered-specific lower race. It means you can swap in tapered forks later if you want without having to change your headset. I’ve got one, and it works a treat.

FOG

Running a 1 1/8th Rev fork in a tapered steerer tube [new Soul] using a standard 1 .5 Hope cup and bearing with a special adaptor crown race to replace the standard race. Asolutely no problem whatsoever

dantsw13

Yes, works fine. Superstar headsets come with both crown races (1.5/1 1/8 steerer).

nuke

what headsets should do the job?

Depends on your frame. What frame is it?

Running a standard steerer fork with Hope Pick N Mix headset with my c456.

andyl
    Free Member

just need to get either a reducer lower cup, reducer crown or an adapter to use a 1.5″ crown race. The reducer lower cup is the least preferential option as you need to change the whole lower cup if you get a tapered fork.

Lots of headsets out there – just choose the type you need – ie low stack semi integrated or external lower cup.

Only problem you can have is on frames with very short head tubes as some taper forks taper too gradually so the headset won’t pre-load properly. This is normally a case on headtubes lower than 100mm. – but that is tapered forks not straight.

The hope adapter is one of the easiest options as it just converts your fork to tapered (but without the benefits). Some headsets come with both crown races though.

inthehouse
    Free Member

Sounds good,but is there any play or weekness compared to having the tapered steerer??

FOG

No there couldn’t be as everything is machined to fit precisely in the same way as a standard set up

andyl
    Free Member

no different to a normal steerer in a normal headtube. Except you get a beefier lower bearing.

inthehouse
    Free Member

Nuke its c456,thanks again everyone 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

If it’s a C456 then consider an angleset. If I was buying a headset again it would either be a Hope with the adapter or an angleset.

andydicko
    Free Member

Using non tapered SIDs in a tapered head tube , I use a Hope integrated semi integrated headset with a step down………. Works absolutely fine.

Northwind

The best bit is when people ride your bike and tell you they can really feel the extra stiffness of the tapered steerer it doesn’t have.

inthehouse
    Free Member

andyl,angleset?other than the obvious,what diff too adapter

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Non-Tapered steerer in Tapered Headtube??’ is closed to new replies.