Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Non-sweaty windproof jackets?
  • 13thfloormonk

I’ve had a few rides recently in temperatures hovering just above freezing, where I have ended up pretty damp with sweat none-the-less, almost as if I was in a waterproof.

My windproof is an old Endura Jetstream which has windproof panels on the sleeves and front. I’ve always thought they felt like cheap, heavy tablecloth material so it didn’t surprise me that they got sweaty.

My lightweight windproof shell (also Endura, funnily enough) is also pretty sweaty.

Was looking at softshell windproofs, hoping they might be better, but the first review I read (of the new softshell Endura Windchill II) mentions getting sweaty 10 miles into a ride!

Do I just need to man up and go for a thermal top that isn’t windproof, or should windproof jackets be noticeably less sweaty than a waterproof?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Buffalo wind shirt

kayak23

Ime if you’re going at a pace that’ll make you sweat, and not getting any cooling wind on your bod, you’ll get sweaty.
    Science innit.

Having said that, I have a windproof from Dare2B that seems to hover nicely around that fine line of just enough protection.

sargey2003

RAB Boreas – not quite 100% windproof and very breathable as a result.

You will need a decent mid-layer (merino or very light fleece)

One of the best bits of kit I’ve used.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gore Windstopper which has always surprised me by it’s breathability. Much better than my old dhd or RH+ ones.

grubbish
    Free Member

Really rate gores windproof jackets expensive but get the job done. Wear a Merino baselayer that way you’ll remain warm even when sweaty.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gore here too, also have a look at Montane stuff, very good imo.

dumbbot
    Free Member

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/AM-Enduro-softshell-mountain-biking-jacket-p/pol01-5313-p.htm

I picked this up for £25 in one there many sales and I’m very impressed with it. Last weekend in temp just above freezing with a long sleeve base layer was perfect. Not sweaty at all.

CraigW
    Free Member

Alpkit Morphosis looks interesting. Claims to be less sweaty than a windproof. https://www.alpkit.com/products/morphosis-jacket-mens

iainc

Endura Windchill works very well in the right temperature with right base layer. I use a LS Endura base layer and from about 7 degrees down it is great. Any warmer and it is sweaty, so I find the Endura MT500 better from about 6-12 degrees, and not at all sweaty even when working hard.

davosaurusrex

If you’re not standing around where it’s exposed I almost always prefer a gilet. Jackets are just too sweaty

scotroutes

See that Polaris softshell linked above? I have two now.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Afaik, they’ve stopped making them, but Ive kept my Rohan windproof from over a decade ago as it’s that good.

But mines is in black, so not very visible to other road users.

S/H on eBay???

I’ve also got the paramo windproof, but I found that condensation was building up on the inside of the fabric,

Their Quito full waterproof adds a pump layer to shift said moisture and is only 150g heavier at 500g approx and fits into a 2litre drybag.

Unless you can find something much cheaper, lighter or more efficient, the Quito is your best way to stay dry (yes, it’s not quite the answer you were looking for!)

vondally
    Free Member

Buffalo windshirt

matt_outandabout

I had a Montane Dyno that I wore out – note *quite* full windproof, but far less sweaty as a result.

I have a cheap Tog24 pertex top now, with mesh side panels and detachable sleeves. It’s good, you feel the mesh doing its job, but fully windproof and so warmer than the Dyno in cold or fast moving. I can also whip off the sleeves in seconds and stuff in a pocket.

Fwiw, in every other sport you stop and take layers on and off. Due to our small hills and fast moving sport we seem to want to not stop and change layers – so expect windproof and warm but not sweaty. I think it’s expecting too much.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Buffalo Windshirt (again). Put some insulation on underneath if It’s not a lined one. Theyr’e unbeatable.
    I’ve got a couple of lined Altura & Endura ones & even on freezing days I may as well wear a bin liner.

vincienup
    Free Member

The issue is the design and construction of the jacket. Bike jackets aren’t going to do this simply because their manufacturers don’t see the need, they’re getting away with proper outdoor prices and Tesco quality and everyone laps it up because ‘bike jacket’.

There are plenty of alpine softshells designed for climbers (who also like long arms, long backs and stretch) that are designed for exactly this case- and allow you to work hard without boiling in the bag. Montane and Rab are both good starting points.

four
    Free Member

I have a Castelli Gabba – no sweat and wind proof- also a level of water resistance.

The latest version is called Perfetto (they still do the Gabba but in short sleeve only).

zippykona

Ordered!

montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve had Rab/Montane etc, but always seem to end up going back to the Buffalo Windshirts I’ve been using for the last c.30 years, with an appropriate layer underneath. They got it right pretty much the first time, the only change over the years has been a zip on the pocket rather than velcro tabs. A ripstop grid would be an improvement, I guess.

Someone made the point about layering above – if you’re comfortably warm when you set off, you’re going to be sweating in a couple of miles.

greigb
    Free Member

Depends what you want out of the windproof IMO. Almost waterproof, but generally sweatier as a result, would be a membrane softshell like Gore Windstopper. More breathable but potentially more insulating would be a woven stretch softshell. Least water resistant but windproof, breathable and very light would be Pertex type materials.

As above, mountaineering or fell running gear generally much better cut and quality than bike specific stuff.

Also as above, if you’re sweating more than expected then it’s potentially too much insulation rather than a non breathable fabric. Be bold, start cold. 😀

FOG

Alpkit do a light weight one which they say is for running but is fine on the bike and packs away really small. I used it as an emergency layer on a euro trip this year and it was reasonable even when getting hot on climbs.
    Sizes are a bit weird though, I ended up with a medium which I am most definitely not in other makes sizing. L or XL being more normal.

warpcow
    Free Member

Depends what you want out of the windproof IMO. Almost waterproof, but generally sweatier as a result, would be a membrane softshell like Gore Windstopper. More breathable but potentially more insulating would be a woven stretch softshell. Least water resistant but windproof, breathable and very light would be Pertex type materials.

As above, mountaineering or fell running gear generally much better cut and quality than bike specific stuff.

Just repeating this really. Gore is boil-in-the-bag in pretty much all conditions for me. I use Montane and Marmot woven ones for when it’s properly colder (super-super-cold, like under -15, and my Buffalo Mountain Shirt comes out) and a cheap Howies Dyfi Pertex thing for a light Spring/Autumn jacket. I don’t think any of the specific models I use are made anymore so sort of interested to see other recommendations too.

iainc

This afternoons ride was clear and sunny and temperature around minus 3. Had a helly warm LS base and Endura Windchill. I had the pit vents part open hroughout and rode for 2 hrs solo, so little in the way of stops. When I got back to the car my base layer was fully dry, even back (had Evoc pack on) and pits. Had the temp been over zero I’d have used a thinner base layer.

Also had DHB winter bib longs and MTR baggies on.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Polaris soft shell as above here. Brilliant bit of kit at £25.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Any thin pertex shell should do the job. Preferably with some ventilation zips up the sides. I must wear mine about 99 riders out of 100 in winter and at least half the time in summer.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

My red 2016 Altura Peloton Transformer is great below +10C with sleeves on, depending on how hard I’m doing hill reps, been fine over the last ~10 days of cold snap with just a light baselayer/top underneath.

Similar could be said of my PX Hydrosphere, which is waterproof too, but no detachable sleeves. My toes were freezing after my sunset ~14 mile /2000 feet hill rep session a little while ago on the Wazoo, but my torso was very comfortable with a long sleeve Lidl top underneath.

However, it’s a loaded question, because a jacket might be great is keeping us great when riding hard in cool weather… But then too cold if riding at a more steady/sedate pace.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@mongomery&greigb

I’d disagree about starting your ride cold.

You’re relying on the clothing using a temperature/ humidity gradient to shift the moisture from your skin to the atmosphere.

This works best if your body is already warm.

I found this out a few years back, wearing mid-trainers with an ‘event’ membrane.

So long as I didn’t just brynje out the door, then the ‘ event ‘ fabric worked incredibly well.

Likewise, especially at this time of year, you want to get a layer of warm air trapped inside your clothes before you head out.

Just my experience, but I’ve probably got some strain of pneumonia, mind!!!

It’s an interesting topic, (windproofs, not pneumonia) given our predilection with all things waterproof, here in the U.K..

I guess that on the continent, you can have very long spells of cold, dry weather.

Our continental cousins might have the ‘drop’ as regards designing windproofs.

One of the best windproofs I’ve owned was a kona from 1993…pertex on the outside, coolmax on the inner.

13thfloormonk

Thanks folks, had a look at a few of those suggestions, the Polaris tops do get good reviews but a recurring them seemed to be that they were a bit too warm for harder rides. I’m on a singlespeed road bike so any ride tends to err on the ‘hard’ side by default!

I felt softshell would be better as any sweat would at least soak into the inner layer, rather than just bead as moisture like it currently does on the inside of my Endura.

Still tempted by the Windchill, but a cheaper option might be the DHB Blok Windproof, cheaper too…

Waiting for my Gore thermal top back from the repair place, might experiment just using that and a windproof gilet!

Edit: Lots of mentions for Pertex, is that the very thin nylon shell feeling stuff? Think I have a packable montane jacket made out of that…

scotroutes

Yeah – the good old Montane Velo. Ends up the size of a large apple once in its wee sack. It’s windproof with no warmth so might be OK but I don’t like the feel of it against bare skin as it’s just too clammy. The advantage of the like of the Polaris AM is that the material has a degree of soft feel/absorbency so you might get warmer but you still feel less sweaty. You can also then wear a short/no sleeve baselayer underneath.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Finally got round to buying a Rab vapourise recently kicking myself for not getting one years ago now.
    Brilliant bit of kit which really works for me.

Alpkit Morphosis looks to be the same thing at a lower cost.

chakaping
    Free Member

Odd that you’re getting too sweaty in the Jetstream, it’s only really half a jacket (the rear being a jersey). I find it does get damp when I’m working hard but then evaporates quickly.

In that context, I’d bet most of the recommendations here will be way too warm for you.

Are you just wearing a s/s baselayer under the Jetsrream?

tpbiker
    Free Member

If it is for use on the road I’d recommend a Gabba. I have one and a perfetto vest and they superb. Shower proof as well.

fergal
    Free Member

Rab vapourise +1

13thfloormonk

Are you just wearing a s/s baselayer under the Jetsrream?

Yeah just a s/s lycra top with thin lycra arm warmers.

Guess I just need to avoid stopping mid-ride on winter rides! It’s only when I stop that I notice the chilling effect as the sweat soaks back through my baselayer. Maybe merino is the answer as folk above suggested.

Edit: I’ve ignored a few otherwise good suggestions above as I don’t want loose fitting and/or hoods as per hiking jackets.

iainc

Merino is no use if you are working hard, it gets wet and stays wet. It’s great for lower intensity stuff though.

If you want tight fitting buy a Gabba, but they are really designed for road use where you never stop moving.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah merino will stay soggy longer than the Roubaix fabric of the Jetstream.

But if your issue is that the garment is holding sweat (rather than making you sweat) you may indeed be better off with a pure softshell, even if it’s marginally less breathable.

The Gabba and clones thereof are basically jerseys made out of a thin softshell material and therefore can’t really hold sweat.

dovebiker

Agree on merino being no good for high intensity exercise – it simply doesn’t wick enough. As for getting sweaty under a softshell, it’s simply down to overdressing, either start out cold or take off a layer. Even at temperatures well below zero, a good synthetic baselayer and a softshell works fine for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Non-sweaty windproof jackets?’ is closed to new replies.