• This topic has 33 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Non standard pads…. Good or a false economy?
  • flossie
    Free Member

I need to stock up on several sets of Hope X2 pads, and at £12 ish quid a pair it’s going to cost me the best part of £70!
    Can anyone recommend any cheaper alternatives such as Uberbike or superstar etc or are the cheaper ones made from squealy chocolate?

Cheers
    Floss

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Superstar Components might have em.. I got 5 or 6 pairs for £25ish

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Uberbike or Superstar

jimw
    Free Member

I have spent some time and a bit of cash over the years trying out a number of different makes.

And I am now only using Hope.

ajantom

The disco brakes ones seem to be pretty good from my experience.

dingleberry
    Free Member

Either Superstar or Uberbike sintered for me. Uberbike race matrix if I’m feeling fancy, but Superstar’s kevlar are cack.

They both have fairly regular discount codes too.

tjagain

as I get thousands of miles out of hope sintered I see no need for anything else.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I used to get through a lot of pads, tried superstar and felt they were worth it due to the speed I got through them. Then after a bunch that were too thick I went back to genuine. My hope and shimano last long enough for me not to worry about the cost.

Del

discobrakes for me. their site is gash though. you don’t need to create an account with them to buy.

Northwind

Hope’s pads are very good tbh.

Personally I like superstar kevlar but performance varies from brake to brake, imo they’re superb in formula but weren’t so excellent in my old XTs. Discobrakes were alright but I had some pad material fails

Uberbike’s race matrix are one of the few bike parts I threw in the bin rather than wear out- they were alright for bimbling at home but day 1 in the alps and they shat the bed completely, I think they just couldn’t cope with harder use- wildly inconsistent, they’d grab on one corner and have no stop on the next, horrendous.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Shimano are cheap and far better than aftermarket jobs. Well, they were cheap…

kayak23

I’ve always been very happy with superstar but like above, on a recent Alps trip I threw away a few-runs-old set of sintered in my XTs as I just couldn’t stand the hideous squealing at the slightest touch.

Generally they’ve been spot on though. Uberbike worked well for me too.

Just recently been tempted by on-one at two notes each. Hmmmmm….Will I die I Wonder?

prawny

Wiggle do a limited selection for £2 I’ll be getting some in my next order to get free postage, not had a problem with any of the lifeline branded stuff so far.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Anything other than OE or Goodridge I find wear down at a rate that negates any saving.

And most have either been noisy, or generally just crap.

jamj1974

Tried Superstar but was never that impressed, I found in particular they were not the exact depth of OE pads. Always returned to Hope, Formula and Shimano in the end.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

first stop for me is always disco. especially good value if you’re buying multi packs.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Depends. Something like ebc or goodridge might even be better than OE (depending by what measure, performance, durability, feel). Something from uberbike or discobrakes might be so crap is almost funny. Or it could be as good or better than OE. Who knows.

Depends how much risk you want to take.

I had one (large) batch where i had to replace pads on an almost race by race basis. If i forgot and it rained I’d need new discs after they got gouged by the backing material. In hindsight i should have binned them.

The EBCs or OE Shimano I’ve got on everything at the moment haven’t been touched in several months.

thenorthwind

Then after a bunch that were too thick I went back to genuine

I found in particular they were not the exact depth of OE pads.

I don’t understand this. The thickness will vary as they wear down, so why is it critical. New ones will be thicker so the pistons will need pushing back in (though admittedly there’s a point at which they’re just too thick to go in). What am I missing?

kayak23

I don’t understand this. The thickness will vary as they wear down, so why is it critical. New ones will be thicker so the pistons will need pushing back in (though admittedly there’s a point at which they’re just too thick to go in). What am I missing?

There’s a limit to just how thick the caliper can take. If they are too thick out of the packet, you won’t be able to fit them without removing some pad material.

Kahurangi

there’s a point at which they’re just too thick to go in

you’re not missing anything

/edit beaten by one second! 👿

andytherocketeer

Used to be pro-Superstar, but I’ve certainly had ones that are in fact to thick to go in. The extra thickness was on the backing, or the shape of the backing, and not extra braking material.

Then I wrote a pair of sintered ones off in about 300km compared to way more than that for Formula organic (which had more stopping power too). Road side pad change with pads fatter than will fit is fun 😉 They weren’t the ones where the entire material fell off, but bits did fall off due to going so thin.

Don’t know about false economy, but on a 4 grand bike, and the price of potential dental work, I choose quality and reliability over saving the price of a pint or so.

Formula do run very close to pads as standard, so there’s very little tolerance to play with. So after that foray with Superstar I always used genuine Formula after that. Now using Shimano, but only with the real thing. Can’t speak for other brands and their replacements.

thenorthwind

(though admittedly there’s a point at which they’re just too thick to go in)

There’s a limit to just how thick the caliper can take

Yup.

jamj1974

Clue: I like my wheels to actually rotate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Clarks organics – 7 quid a pop, available at your LBS for that price too, cracking pads.

Del

also bear in mind that sometimes the conditions can just be ‘wrong’ for the pads you’re using. i’ve had OEM pads last no longer than 2 rides, and cheap aftermarket do the same, but similarly cheap aftermarket last 9 months.
    take the anecdotal evidence as just that. 😉

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I pretty much only buy from Superstar or Disco nowerdays (probably had 30+ sets) – performance & life has been on a par with OEM ones – I am yet to have any issues

P-Jay
    Free Member

Superstar have always been very good for me, I haven’t noticed any real difference in depth, or braking power or even wear. I’ve recently bought some of their finned ones, I don’t really know why, for me that only really make sense in the Alps, over here I don’t get to ride anything long and steep enough to get that sort of heat into them.

thenorthwind

Clue: I like my wheels to actually rotate.

You realise the pistons move in and out right?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah. But you can’t make the slot in the caliper body wider.

honourablegeorge

I find Shimano OEM pads brilliant – had a set that literally lasted years on the DH bike – alps trips, finale, antur, revolution, all sorts and didn’t need replacing. Think I still have the fronts

jamj1974

You realise the pistons move in and out right?

That I did not know.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Actually I take back what I said about DiscoBrakes. I made a bulk order late last year, but for one reason or another, only just got round to fitting them. The tolerances must be out as none of the pads fit the callipers, pad material + backing plate is too thick. Emailed them, and effectively they said tough luck. Not impressed. Wont be using them again.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have never had much luck with any of the cheap brake pads. They either don’t fit properly or they make a noise or generally **** up otherwise perfectly acceptable/sensational/expensive brakes.

tomd
    Free Member

have spent some time and a bit of cash over the years trying out a number of different makes.

And I am now only using Hope

+1 for but with Shimano. I’ve had too many issues using “cheap” alternatives. The manufacturer’s originals tend to last really well too.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Non standard pads…. Good or a false economy?’ is closed to new replies.