Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Non-Shadow XTR Rear Mech on SC Superlight….should I?
  • megastream
    Free Member

Just need to get the rear mech and my SC Superlight build is complete 8)

Decision now is if I should go 'standard' XTR rear mech or opt for the narrower profile shadow M972 model.

I've been riding years and never had a problem hitting the rear mech on anything, what are people's thoughts on shadow mechs? Should I bother?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can't help thinking that the narrower shoulder will increase the slop that develops in that main pivot. As this is how my mechs eventually die, I tend to avoid shadow kit.

megastream
    Free Member

Thanks, any other opinions before I put my order through…..

Daffy

Do you normally use rapid rise?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aren't shadows a bit notorious for bending/breaking easily?

On any bike, not just Superlights?

Oh and Onzadog, there is no upper pivot?

megastream
    Free Member

Daffy – Member
    Do you normally use rapid rise?

No, I'm going to stick with normal action on this bike.

gingerflash

while shadows stick out from the wheel a bit less, the longer cage means they're closer to the ground and just as likely to get hit. I think they're a bit less precise in the shifting as normal mechs.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My XT shadow mech is very nice, shifts well and is really tucked away under the chainstay.

Feels better than the X7 it replaced if thats any help

Onzadog
    Free Member

I know the bolt into the frame isn't a pivot but I thought the large torx head beneath it was (and was narrower than the main pivot on a normal mech) but I don't run one so will happily learn from anyone who does.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Non-Shadow XTR Rear Mech on SC Superlight….should I?’ is closed to new replies.