Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Non DSLR advice mirrorless compact systems
  • dobo
    Free Member

Looking to buy a camera that is primarily compact and easy to travel with and has near dslr quality! oh and to top it off less than £400 would be great!

the sony nex 5n looks to be the best quality of the bunch but lenses might be pricy and unit not so compact with lense on? and less lenses?

the Olympus PEN EPM1 looks like a cracking deal at jessops possibly smaller with lense on? less quality and not sure on the interface.
    Why so cheap?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/82927/show.html?cm_re=Home-_-Rotate2-epm1-_-150812

Anyone used both of these cameras? or has an opinion or alternative camera?

dr_death
    Free Member

They are probably announcing the NEX 5R tomorrow, and a couple of lenses…
    Including a 16-50 pancake lense that should address some of your issues

AlexSimon

Sony RX100?

Worth looking at, even if it’s to reinforce the reasons why you want a small or interchangeable lens camera.

dobo
    Free Member

thanks, really liked the look of the rx100 but its new out and really expensive still and over budget.
    The canon s100 also looks like a great camera again, both more compact with great features however i decided to pull the trigger on the Olympus EPM1 as its cheaper and has a better sensor, still very small and light for an interchangeable lens camera. I can also upgrade to a better body in the future.
    Just need to get my hands on a pancake lens, they are expensive though..

micro 4/3rds 20mm panasonic 1.7 looks good

Anyone got micro four thirds camera system? any lens recommendations?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a GF2, I know **** all about cameras and it seems fine, I doubt it is limiting my work.

grum
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the M4/3 stuff – still use my GF1 a lot, especially with the 20mm f1.7 pancake lens. My brother just bought a GF3 and while somewhat ‘dumbed down’ from the GF1 is a very nice little thing with snappy AF.

Never tried the Olympus ones though – the strong point of M4/3 is the lens selection though IMO.

Random selection of some shots taken with my M4/3 stuff.

Williamson Park Butterfly House by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Whinlatter Forest Mountain Biking by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Sunrise over the Three Peaks by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Matterhorn – Hornli ridge detail by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Morecambe Bay sunset by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

PePPeR

I’ve an Ep3 and its ace, I love the smallness of it.

The actual camera is more powerful than my big full 4/3 E3 but of course doesn’t have the waterproofing.

They are cracking little cameras and I also get to use all my older Leica lenses on the front of it too.

kiwijohn

Looked closely at the EPM3, but went for a Fuji X10 instead.
    Just feels nice & solid with more direct control.

rs
    Free Member

Get the 20mm f1.7, its excellent! I have it on the epm1.

nicko74

For that price, Panasonic GF3 or Olympus PL2 I think, on closeout. Olympus PL3 has no in-built flash, unfortunately.
    Panasonic GX1 may just about be affordable for that budget, and gives you more options for things like an EVF, should you want one.

I’m personally looking at the GX1, I think. Lenses aren’t cheap, mind.. 🙁

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Non DSLR advice mirrorless compact systems’ is closed to new replies.