Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Non bulky elbow & knee pads
  • rOcKeTdOg

I’d prefer not to look like an offensive lineman for the redskins & be able to wear them all day.
    Recommendations?

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I use g form pads, happy to pedal all day in them. Not sure how good they are in a proper big one but had an spd moment knee first on road didn’t feel a thing

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m liking my new Alpinestars Paragon kneepads. They stat in place really well and are the comfiest pads I’ve had for longer rides. They did the job in the one crash I’ve had so far. They do an elbow version too, but I’ve not tried them.

sillyoldman

Bliss Minimalist – worn them every ride since this:-

Like wearing a helmet now – don’t really think about it anymore.

jam-bo

Raceface charge. More graze protection than impact but they are slimline.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My Troy lees are pretty inoffensive, but I’ve been eyeing those bliss ones up there ^ for a while now.

bruneep

Bliss pads here as well.

kayak23

G-form here. Lovely.

nickc

I’m liking my new Alpinestars Paragon kneepads

another user here, like mine, but they are kept up by the stretchiness of the lycra only rather than any straps, so I’m not sure over time whether they’ll stay up as they get a bit baggy

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for g-form, genuinely forget I’m wearing them after a few minutes

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 for Bliss pads here aswell

BillOddie

Happy RaceFace Charge user here!

GolfChick
    Free Member

that’ll serve me right for not reading the post properly. I assumed it would be a picture oh the knee pads not a massive gaping wound!

I use the fox enduros on every single ride and never notice them no matter how hot or cold. Just nice and easy!

Tracey

G Forms for all of us here, I can vouch that mine worked well when I crashed in the Alps and rolled/bounced a bit down the hillside. Wished they made them for bikes, it may well have saved my frame that didn’t bounce as well.

Brown
    Free Member

I like my Troy Lee ones.

I’ve got a set of Dainese trail skins for sale. They’re good pads, they just never fitted me particularly well (might have just needed more use to soften them up). Yours for a tenner if you want them. They’re in VGC and I’ll even wash them.

Both are good. They Troy Lees have a hard shell, but only padding on the knee/shin. The Dainese are soft and won’t take as a hard a knock, but have light padding on the sides.

teamslug
    Free Member

+1 for G forms. skinny little chicken legs and arms here and found sizing guide is accurate enough

edit: I don’t have chickens arms..that would be stupid

richen987
    Free Member

has anyone used the POC Air VPD ones at all?
    they look light, but with good protection, but the strap at the bottom looks a little odd?

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got some Fox Launch #ENDURO®™© pads and they’re great, dead comfy and not bulky at all.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

my fox launch enduro are a great fit and very minimalist, however they do rub on the back on the legs on both of mine, on the cartlidge (very bony/skinny legs), I love them apart from that, which is a pretty important factor I guess (will try chamois cream on them)

where can you get the g form ones? cant see many folk stocking them online, they look kinda bulky in the pics, but look like they fit like a leg warmer which should be fine rub wise (as I wear leg warmers with no issues)

markoell
    Free Member

I got some Raceface Ambush knee pads and Indy elbow pads at Christmas, very happy with them. Both are D3O padding, comfy, not too hot, easy to fit/remove and not a bad price either. The elbow pads are very slim-line to fit comfortably under a l/s jersey as well.

Theres a review of this very combination here

jamesfts
    Free Member

Troy Lee 5450s though they’re very dependant on fit as they’ve no adjustment – just pull on jobs.

daver27
    Free Member

Been using Fox Launch Enduro guards on knees and arms for well over a year, never move, never even know they are there really, just like wearing a knee warmer. Faultless.

Arm
    Knee

at least 5 of my riding group also use them with zero issues as well for at least as long.

Northwind

Gform are thin, little bit warm mind. Basically they’re like thick leg/arm warmers. But the protection is minimal too, ime they’re about as protective as a couple of layers of clothes. Personally I think they’re a waste of money, I still wear mine because I already have them but I wouldn’t buy again. They’re well made and durable though (they come through crashes better than the bits they’re supposed to protect…)

5450s are bulkier, they won’t go as well under slim fit clothes… They didn’t fit me unfortunately and they’ve got no adjustment, shame as they seemed decent. If I could get them comfy, I’d wear them for sure.

I reckon for knee pads, if you wear shorts, bigger is just better. Something like a 661 Rage or Fox Whotsitcalled. Much more protective and also much more coverage- the sides of your knees are fairly delicate, if you’re going to wear pads why settle for something that only does half the job, and that half, half as well? Bulky pads aren’t really any less comfortable in use, and if they fit they shouldn’t chafe (ironically some minimal pads are less comfortable, because they have to be tighter to stay in place)

Elbows there’s more point though, elbows have more range of movement and you’re more likely to want to wear tighter fitting layers over them. I’ve just not found the right pads for me yet. But knees I’ll stick with proper pads.

singlespeedstu

Anyone using the Bliss elbow pads?
    How do they size up?

kwack
    Free Member

Brown

I’ve got a set of Dainese trail skins for sale. They’re good pads, they just never fitted me particularly well (might have just needed more use to soften them up). Yours for a tenner if you want them. They’re in VGC and I’ll even wash them.

I might be interested in these – what size are they?

Cheers
    Kwack

benp1

When I wanted something mimalist and pedally for my knees I ended up with Dainese Trail Skins. Been very happy with them, they’re like protective knee warmers, I’ve worn them all day without any bother (incl a 3 day bikepacking trip

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Thor static elbow pads very light wont know you got them on.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Non bulky elbow & knee pads’ is closed to new replies.