Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Non bikey weekends away (for a single bloke)
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Do any single folk here go on weekends away, either in the UK or in Europe, by themselves?

I’ve always contemplated this as there’s lots I want to see, but I’ve always pushed it to one side on the basis that it won’t be as much fun by myself.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but I’ve always pushed it to one side on the basis that it won’t be as much fun by myself.

I travel a lot with work so grabbing a beer or dinner on my own is normal.
    Did a trip to Amsterdam, few places in the states and more. Plenty to do and download tinder

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve done a lot of work travelling on my own too, all around the states and no one really bats an eyelid.

These days Tinder would no doubt make it more fun.

mikey74
    Free Member

Not interested in Tinder, thanks. Plus, I’m not really interested in what anyone else thinks, just whether you find it a fun, worthwhile time.

johndoh
    Free Member

I guess it depends on whether you like your own company. My brother has no desire to get into a relationship yet goes away quite a bit (mainly just the UK) and certainly enjoys himself.

nickc

yeah, I try to go away at least once a month just to have something to plan for, and the change of scene really. Mostly (if I’m honest) they’re with the bike but I try to do tourist-y things as well. Last trip to Snowdon went to Carmarthen castle.

was cool

BoardinBob

Do any single folk here go on weekends away, either in the UK or in Europe, by themselves?

I did 3 weeks in Morzine last summer. 2 weeks on my own and 1 week with mates. Didn’t bother me in the slightest. I enjoy my own company!

nickc

oh yeah, going to Verbier later this year as well.

need to buy some chuffs

jam-bo

If you don’t do it now, imagine how hard it is when you do have ties…

lunge

I’m not single but do like a night or 2 away on my own, it’s a nice excuse to do the things that my wife or friends don’t like or aren’t interested in. This for me means lots of engineering based museums, lots of walking and inevitably, lots of time in a good pub. I almost always have a good time.

If you want to go out solo but meet people then just stay in a hostel as opposed to a hotel, my experience is that if you sit in the lounge area with a beer people will talk to you and you’ll find some companions to go and see things with.

jam-bo

If you don’t do it now, imagine how hard it is when you do have ties…

dannybgoode

I’d love to go see places on my own. Have done Tokyo and it was immense.

Did what I wanted when I wanted – bliss…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    Not interested in Tinder, thanks. Plus, I’m not really interested in what anyone else thinks, just whether you find it a fun, worthwhile time.

Hmm tough to answer if you don’t want to know what I think…
    The reason I mentioned Tinder (there is also meet up I think) is it can be a useful social tool to meet other people in a similar situation (not looking to shag) I’ve met a few different people for drinks both locals and visitors travelling alone like me. It’s been a laugh – also gets you to the great locals only spots that are not in the lonely planet.

I just got a mail through about some work training in Utah again and I’m just checking my air miles balance to see if I can swing a trip out there.

100% it depends on your personality, on bad days when your not in the mood eating dinner and sitting in a hotel room isn’t much fun. Strolling into a bar and making conversation with the locals (Amsterdam was great for that) pointed me to loads of stuff to do and some good fun while I was there mostly away from the normal touristy stuff.

When I travel with work I enjoy just roaming round cities taking photo’s and exploring, I can walk miles of an evening on a nice night a balance between filling in time and exploring.

For me it works if you can find things you want to do, talk to strangers be comfortable exploring.

So in balance it can be a soul destroying miserable experience and the most rewarding. It’s what you make of it.

In the last few years I’ve been solo to
    Singapore
    Utah
    Amsterdam
    Manchester (well it counts if you live in Oz)
    Took a camera, had a rough list took the advice of the locals
    Work wise all over Oz, had some great times, had some shit ones.

sparksmcguff

Only travelled in the UK and US alone. The US was great for sitting in a restaurant and chatting with people, it seems to be far more normal to share tables, be sociable. Personally I like a few days away by myself.

Esme
    Free Member

Are you looking at this in the wrong way?
    ie weekend alone v weekend with mates.
    Surely the real question is: weekend at home v weekend away ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think trips on your own are better in many ways TBH.

I’ve travelled a lot, been to some excellent places and really enjoy being on my own.

Where have you in mind?

Some great Cities to visit in Europe, not far. Istanbul is just a stones throw and one of the more interesting places I’ve been to on my own. I’d certainly recommend that as a start.
    Remote location? Plenty to see and do, into walking? then just rack up on the Pennine Way and book a hotel/B&B or choose from a zillion other locations..
    Travelling by Car? Well just rack up to the Tunnel and decide whether to turn left or right once you get off the train..

So many places, France.. go there if you are in the car, make your way down the West Coast to St Malo stopping off for a night in Honfleur on your way, eat/drink in the French..

You can’t be worried about sitting in a restaurant/cafe on your own can you? Blimey it’s one of the more relaxing and enjoyable times throughout the whole trip.

Off you go… 😀

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think trips on your own are better in many ways TBH.

I’ve been married so long (26 years soon) that I much prefer not travelling by myself. I do it a lot for business (in Abu Dhabi for two weeks at the moment) and still do, and enjoy, tourist stuff when by myself- but I much prefer when I’ve got my wife and/or kids with me.

scotroutes

I’m happy either way but, as above, you do need to be happy with your own company. In some ways it can be more sociable as you might find yourself in conversation with folk you meet rather than travelling in a bit of an exclusive bubble.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Non bikey weekends away (for a single bloke)’ is closed to new replies.