Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Non bike things to do in Glasgow?
  • tomhughes46

Going to Glasgow for the weekend, to visit the old man who is working up there at present.

Aside from a trip to Brew Dog, any must visit attractions? Engineering/industrial heritage a bonus…

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Transport museum- free!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hang around with bencooper for the weekend!

alanl
    Free Member

+1 for the Transport museum
    Kelvingrove Gallery and museum is well worth a few hours.
    If you have half a day, a train to Gourock, ferry across the Clyde to Helensburgh, then train back. Check ferry times, as they dont run too often, the trains are every 30 mins. A SPT Daytripper ticket should cover all travel options to do that for £11.20 for 1 adult and 2 kids.

My ex liked the Burrell Collection / gallery at Pollok, I wasnt so keen.
    A walk around the centre of town is worthwhile. Lots of fine architecture.

tomd
    Free Member

If you’re in town have a look in:

http://www.thelighthouse.co.uk/

Cool building and make sure you go up the tower, great views over the city. The building used the be the printing office for the Herald newspaper, and has been converted into a gallery. It’s just off the main shopping street.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

The Tall Crane at Clydebank has a visitor centre and you can get to top. You won’t get more industrial than that. Science centre with kids. Kelvingrove art gallery, Burrell collection(not sure if open as we’re re-roofing it)

wonnyj
    Free Member

Gallery of modern art is in centre of town and is good fun and free.

Lots of info on city centre walks available on line. Necropolis walk is ace.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Go to Oran Mor – top of Byers Road and check out “A play, a Pie and a Pint”

Just what it says – you will see a play and included in the cost is a pie and a pint.

I was lucky to have seen one of the best wee bits of drama I can remember there.

It’s on at lunchtimes – don’t miss it!

Oran Mor

A Play, A Pie and a Pint

dh
    Free Member

Proceed directly to the squid and whale in gt Western road for plenty of beer fayre.

Tall crane not shut ATM?

pacerc200
    Free Member

http://vimeo.com/m/82653661

This covers the hightlights

cbike
    Free Member

Sharmanka have a wee special exhibition on until the end of January – http://www.sharmanka.com

Summerlee Industrial Museum in Coatbridge Has some big winding engines.

bencooper
    Free Member

Hang around with bencooper for the weekend!

🙂

Summerlee and the Transport Museum are both good calls. The Science Centre is also a lot of fun – though not free.

althepal

Was just going to mention Summerlee. Great wee museum- big machinery indoors, lots of history, foundations of an old foundry that gives you an idea of the scale of it, short tram rides, a small pit that you can go down into, a section of the old coatbridge canal still there to walk along.. Aye, ive been a few times with my boy. He loves it and I still do too..
    Transport museum is good as well and also has Hms Glenlee beside it which is good for a good few hours if its a rotten day.

scotroutes

Get the train to Edinburgh

tomd
    Free Member

The Tall Crane at Clydebank has a visitor centre and you can get to top. You won’t get more industrial than that. Science centre with kids. Kelvingrove art gallery, Burrell collection(not sure if open as we’re re-roofing it)

The Titan Crane would be great but sadly it’s shut for the winter.

Riverside Museum (formerly the Transport Museum) is good as others have said above. If you walk to it along the river from the city centre you pass some old docks and the like if that interests you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Get the train to Edinburgh

Which is so good, that you fled! 😀

tomd
    Free Member

Forgot also, Kelvingrove museum also has some cool engineering type stuff like a Spitfire hung from the roof. It’s also opposite Brewdog if you’re going there anyway.

scotroutes

🙂

See the “what to do in Edinburgh” thread…..

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If your at Kelvingrove and Brewdog then The Butchershop is nice for lunch.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Non bike things to do in Glasgow?’ is closed to new replies.